Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #1  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

Question weight gain - switching BC

I have a dr appointment tomorrow to see about switching from BCP to mirena (fingers crossed she'll let me!) and I'm worried about gaining weight from switching. I've been on the pill since I was like..14. Is it just a given that I'm going to gain weight going off the pill? Do you think if I do gain that it'll be harder to lose it?

I don't know what I'm looking for here, maybe just some encouragement that this won't throw my whole weight loss completely off. That is, if she'll even give me the IUD.
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/132.5/125

Height: 5'3

They say being ON bc makes you gain weight. I just got mirana a few months ago, and Im still losing weight. BC has estrogen, while the mirana just gives off a low dose of progestren (sp?). From what I've heard it is the high level of estrogen that makes you gain weight, so I would assume switching to mirana would actually be a good thing. EVERYone's body is different, and I am no doctor, just someone who switched to mirana :}

p.s. Getting the mirana in hurts..bad. but you'll live.
RynKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #3  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I have a mirena and I hate to say it but I did gain weight with it but I wasn't watching my diet or anything ether. What it did was make the weight I was already gaining come on faster.

BUT, I've also lost all my wieght with the thing still in me so I don't think it makes so much a difference that you can't lose weight or only gain with one.

Everyone is different of course but that's just my experience with mirena. Not sure it was much help :/
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I think you should be fine. I was on BCP for like 8 years when i switched to Mirena last year and I didn't notice any weight gain from it. Granted I wasn't watching it like i am now but since i've started I haven't had any problems not being able to lose it. And I love it! WAY better than bc. Everyone is different but if you want it I say go for it!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #5  
Ready To Be Healthy!!

S/C/G: 312/292/150

Height: 5'7"

Just stick with your program and keep working at it. You need to do what is going to fit better in your life! :-)
Willow98248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I love, love, love, love my Mirena!! Best $ I ever spent!

I don't think you'll get weight gain from it. It doesn't have the hormones that BC pills do. The only hormones I notice are my own! You might even lose a bit if you are going to it from BC.

My favorite part is that I no longer have periods or cramps. I get the other stuff, periodic blemishes, mood shifts (not dramatic), water retention, etc. But, no more bleeding and pain!! YAY!

I honestly didn't think it hurt that bad going in. It's a tiny little sucker. The pap I had at the same visit hurt more. I did have about 2 days of cramping (not severe, but defnitely something I wanted to take Advil for). Also, for the first time, your periods will start changing and can be less regular and even intermitant. For the first couple of months, just be prepared for light spotting. I don't think everyone loses them altogether, but one of the ways it works is by drastically thinning out the lining of the uterus, so by default they will be much lighter.

After DD turned 7, I noticed that I had some spotting and went to have it replaced. They give you a range of 5 to 7 years and I was probably on the oustide of that. Having it removed was a piece of cake, pain-wise also. I didn't feel much.

Good luck with it!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote