Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #1  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Default What have you learned...about you??

It has been 30 days since I started this journey. I have learned a ton. Like what you say?

3FC is a great support system!!!
Almost starving isn't a healthy way to lose weight. It'll be back
Don't forget to remember to drink lots of water.
Just because you are in your calorie budget doesn't mean it was healthy.
Having a Plan is critical to success...part of why I failed previous attempts.
Even if you don't want to...exercise like you planned.
Blogging is helpful.
Stay focused and last but not least...
STICK TO THE PLAN!!!
I really can get to my size 10!!

So what have you learned?

Last edited by jigglefree; 02-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I learned that I wouldn't die if I'm hungry. Hunger isn't a life-ending feeling.

I've learned the difference between satisfied and stuffed.

I've learned that I AM strong enough to be around foods I really want/love without having any.

I've learned that the knee pain I lived with wasn't because I have "bad knees".

I've learned that my body wasn't destined to be fat/overweight.

I've learned that I was a lot heavier than I thought I was at the time.

I've learned that I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE feeling thin.

I've also learned that there is a very steep price for eating with reckless abandon.

I've learned how to tell myself "No" with love.

I've learned that I can actually get smaller than I ever remember being as an adult.

I've learned that I gave up one addiction (food) for another (shopping). Hence, I've learned I have a very addictive personality.

(I really could keep going but I'll stop now, LOL)

Last edited by Cali Doll; 02-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #3  

Hmmm good topic...

I have learned that I have to make my "plan" fit my strengths/weaknesses instead of trying to force myself to adopt someone else's "plan".

I have learned to think about and own every little decision I make daily in regards to diet and exercise, whether optimal, less than perfect, or plain bad.

I have learned to think back on failures and see how to lessen the likelihood of repeating that failure.

I have learned that my hour in the gym each day pays off with much more than an hour in increased work/family activities due to greater energy and speed.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I have learned to be patient.

In the past, I would step on the scale, go "OMG" and crash diet down to where I wanted to be. At least that was always the plan - in reality, I would always lose some weight, get fed up with the diet and go back to eating the way I used to. And the weight would come back... with some extra 'friends' thrown in for good measure. I always wanted to be thin NOW. Or at least SOON. This time I have taken my time, kept my goals small and attainable. And the weight came off. S.L.O.W.L.Y. It's been two years since I decided to change, but it worked where nothing else did.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #5  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I’ve learned how to stop a binge.

I’ve learned that it really is okay to splurge every now and then…as long as I get right back on track.

I’ve learned to love the feeling of waking up hungry.

I’ve learned to listen to my body…if I’m hungry, I eat. If I’m not hungry, I don’t eat. So so simple…why did that take me so long to learn?

I’ve learned how to forgive myself.

I’ve learned how to look at the big picture.

I’ve learned that celery is never going to work for me. Alone or in any recipe. Least satisfying snack ever!

I’ve learned that exercise is truly crucial and **gasp** enjoyable!

I’ve learned to appreciate the things my body is capable of. I love working up a sweat, doing things that I didn’t think I could and pushing myself just a little bit further every time.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/237/170

Height: 5'2

I have learned -

I am worth the extra money for fresh fruits and veggies.

There is more to life than sitting and watching TV. I have joined living life.

I have learned that my weight protects me from unwanted sexual advances and I have to work through lots of issues.

It's okay to say NO.
Amy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 349.8/229/165

Height: 5'9"

#1 - I have learned that I need to work on ME and deal with issues from my past that made me gain weight in the first place. And that it is a continual learning and growing process and experience. And that just because you "think" you have conquered something and have it under control, doesn't necessarily mean its true!

#2 - I found it's ok to "cheat" sometimes. The world wont fall apart if I eat a couple of chips at the Mexican Joint!

#3 - Sex if enjoyable again, nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 - Flabby skin is ok!!!!! Love the skin your in

#5 - Not everyone will notice your weightloss or your hard work, but that's ok, cause YOU know it and that's all that matters

More to follow...............
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #8  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Ugh! I have learned that if I let go of one piece of my plan I am likely to dump the whole thing! But tomorrow is a new day so just keep moving forward!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Wow, a lot of the things that others have learned are things I have learned as well. Here's a few more:

- I learned I'm not perfect. Trivial as it may sound, I need to remind myself that it's ok to mess up here and there... just get back on track as soon as I can.
- I learned that I CAN do this. I think the whole beginning of my journey was filled with me thinking I can, but not knowing... now I know.
- I learned that even thin people have problems.
- I learned that there may never be a point when my body looks just so... and I can live with that.
- I learned that we all get fed up at our own pace. If people ask for advice or what I'm doing to lose, I share... but don't expect their success.
- I learned that it's about high time I get nice clothes for a change!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

- I've learned that exercise can be fun! Even walking on a treadmill makes me feel better.

- I've learned that screwing up utterly doesn't mean the game is over.

- I've learned what a real food portion looks like.

- The strength I've learned from controlling my diet has seeped into other parts of my life. I'm getting better at taking care of my home, I budget my money better, and I built up the backbone needed to kick my annoying roommate out!

- I've learned to like stretch marks. They're battle scars now!

- I've learned to separate my emotions from what the scale says. Otherwise I would've gone mad.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

- That I can't follow any particular copyrighted diet or I feel uncomfortable, like a reluctant cult member.

- That a capable, compact athletic build brings me more pleasure than being really, really thin & physically fragile.

- That there is a thin line between dedication and obsession, and because of my personality, I need to work to stay on the healthy side of that line.

- That having lost a large amount of weight & having to work daily at keeping it off is not as singular & lonely a situation to be in as I'd thought.

- That my life is easier when the act of finding & purchasing clothing is less fraught & painful, and that a whole new language of self-expression has opened up to me, now that I enjoy wearing clothing more.

- That cooking can be creative, life-affirming & fun, if you put some thought into it & some effort at educating yourself about it.

- That learning to do a physical activity well takes time & consistent effort, & unlike reading, there is no "skipping ahead" or "skimming" for the gist of it, that you actually have to go through it to get through it.

- That anything large & overwhelming (a whole hour to exercise??!! a whole 100 pounds to lose??!! a whole 5k to run??11 are you freaking kidding me?) becomes manageable if you break it down to one tiny increment at a time.

- That physical exertion has a calming effect on me & helps me sort out the noises in my head & the undercurrent of anxiety that often fills me.

- That I'll always be actively working on some aspect of myself, that there is no moment when I won't be slightly dissatisfied.

- That to get what I thought I'd get from weight loss & becoming fit, maybe I need to become, not a supermodel or an athlete, but a Buddhist.

Last edited by saef; 02-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #12  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I have learned that I cannot step foot in a buffet style restaurant. It seems I am not capable of staying even remotely on plan, even at the ones offering healthier choices. I just can't practice moderation in that environment!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I have learned:

A few potato chips per day won't effect my weightloss... a whole bag a day will.

I will not always be able to make it to the gym, that doesnt mean I should give up completely. I have learned to lose my "all or nothing" attitude.

Not everyone will be supportive of my weightloss - That is their problem, not mine.

"genetics" are not the reason I was overweight.

Being healthy is just as important as seeing numbers on the scale. When the scale doesnt move, I dont quit because I know my health is still improving.

Food is not a hobby.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #14  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I've learned:

* It really is a matter of eating right and exercising. Genetics plays a role, but it doesn't tell the whole story. On the other hand:

* We can be beautiful at any size. We don't need to wait until we've reached a certain goal to start feeling good about ourselves, caring about our appearance, wearing nice clothes, etc.

* If I haven't lost any weight, I can still claim victory if I know I am eating right and exercising. Weight is only one indicator of health, and it isn't even the best or most accurate one.

* Even doctors don't know all there is about obesity and weight loss. Some of them can be pretty darned ignorant.

* Pretty much everything said in this thread is true. Except that I do like celery. It's cottage cheese that ain't gonna do it for me.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 02-04-2010 at 10:30 PM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I've learned...

1) Cookies are sometimes worth the extra workout. Especially peanut butter.
2) Eating healthy in a college cafeteria is difficult. Not impossible.
3) Dailyplate.com is AMAZING.
4) If I can do this, I can do anything. If I struggle to do this, then that just makes it even more rewarding.
5) Once you start with the exercise, it's hard to stop. Treadmills turn into Tae Kwon Do classes quicker than you can say "SELF CONFIDENCE, Ahoy!"
6) It's a long road. And I don't know if I will see goal soon, if ever, sometimes. But that doesn't make the pounds that I've lost any less important. I will NEVER go back to my starting weight again!
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote