Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #1  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Default Wheres my energy?

So Ive been struggling with getting off my bottom. I feel so so so unmotivated to do anything. I could quite literally stay in bed all day and only get up to eat and potty...which is pretty much all Ive done today.

I know I need to get up and go work-out, study, clean, do laundry, and many other things but I just dont have the energy to get up. This isnt anything new for me. Its been a problem for a long time. Sometimes I do wake up and get going but those days are rare.

I'm a college student but am only going part-time this semester, I dont work, and Ive just gotten soooo lazy. I may be in a slightly depressed slump but I dont really think thats the problem. I try and stay between 1200 and 1500 cals a day of healthy & filling foods so I really dont think its the food either.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any suggestions to get out of this funk? Anything to help me get motivated and energized! I dont have insurance so going to the doctor isnt an option right now either.

I just may be THAT ready for it to stop getting dark at 530! lol Thanks in advance for any advice!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #2  

Let me preface this by saying that others might well disagree with this so don't weigh my advice above anything you hear elsewhere.

Do you use any caffeine? After doing some research, I personally feel there is a place for an appropriate, very moderate, amount of caffeine in weight loss. I try not to use it too much or every day so I don't build up my tolerance too much. But if I'm having one of those days like you describe I'll have a strong cup of coffee or some other form of caffeine and that will help perk me up enough to get my blood flowing through activity. Once I get up and get going I'm usually good to go.

Also if you can just find some way to force yourself to go on a brisk 15 minute walk, I bet that gets your blood flowing enough to continue on with other life activities.

Not really sure what else to suggest, obviously there could be more psycholoigical causes like you mention, but that's over my head.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #3  
~Veronica~

You know, you bring up a VERY good point that didnt even cross my mind. Im really used to having caffeine on a daily basis...coffee in the morning or iced tea during the day. Ive cut out soda completely except a very occassional diet dr. pepper since I started my weight loss journey.

AND today I have had no caffeine what so ever so that may very well explain why Im so blah. It also may very well explain previous days like this too...

I dont know why I didnt think of this...I feel silly now but thanks for responding or I would still be sitting here confused and really concerned!

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

How about iron, could you be low? Is it your TOM? Try adding iron-rich foods to your diet (google it, there's a bunch other than just spinach and red meat).

I have been low in iron on and off for 30 years, and sometimes I get really tired. Upping my iron level (I take a teeny tiny OTC tablet) really helps.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDern View Post
You know, you bring up a VERY good point that didnt even cross my mind. Im really used to having caffeine on a daily basis...coffee in the morning or iced tea during the day. Ive cut out soda completely except a very occassional diet dr. pepper since I started my weight loss journey.

AND today I have had no caffeine what so ever so that may very well explain why Im so blah. It also may very well explain previous days like this too...

I dont know why I didnt think of this...I feel silly now but thanks for responding or I would still be sitting here confused and really concerned!

Thanks!
Absolutely, for sure if you are a somewhat regular "user", having none you will definately feel like you are in slow motion.

I'll never forget when I was like 14 I worked at a summer camp. We worked hard and it was hot. Every single day I would go across the street in the morning and get a 64 oz (yes that is correct 64 oz) Double Gulp of Coke from 7-11. EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR AN ENTIRE SUMMER.

When I got back home where we didn't do caffeine, I distinctly remember almost not leaving my bed for a full week.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

If you are student, you probably qualify for some sort of campus health services (it's not free--but you paid for it already in your tuition!) I'd go see them and see what they suggest. You don't have to be sad to be suffering from depression--being unable to do anything but the most basic biological functions for days at a time sounds like something beyond the "blahs" to me. A visit to the clinic can't hurt.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #7  
~Veronica~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
How about iron, could you be low? Is it your TOM? Try adding iron-rich foods to your diet (google it, there's a bunch other than just spinach and red meat).

I have been low in iron on and off for 30 years, and sometimes I get really tired. Upping my iron level (I take a teeny tiny OTC tablet) really helps.
I actually think my iron is fine but I'll have to add it up for a day to see if Im getting enough. I eat a ton of meats and lots of spinach and raw veggies. I also tale a multi-vitamin when I remember it...so a few times a week. TOM just finished up.

I'll have to watch the iron and get a cup of coffee in tommorrow morning and see if it perks me up. I sure hope so! I feel like a huge waste of life today. I'll let yall know how it goes!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #8  
~Veronica~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
If you are student, you probably qualify for some sort of campus health services (it's not free--but you paid for it already in your tuition!) I'd go see them and see what they suggest. You don't have to be sad to be suffering from depression--being unable to do anything but the most basic biological functions for days at a time sounds like something beyond the "blahs" to me. A visit to the clinic can't hurt.
Thats true. I go to a community college so Im not sure if they offer the same things as far has a health clinic goes compared to a university but I should look into it anyways in case I get sick or something too.

Ive definitely had my times of depression...it runs in the family. Im just hoping to push myself out of whatever this is without a doctor trying to put me on some happy pills.

Thanks!