Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/125/115

Height: 5'1"

Question macronutrients, satarvation mode, etc

I needed an all inclusive title, hehehe!

A little history before my question: I lost 75lbs about a year ago, bringing my weight to 115ish lbs. I have gained 10lbs since Dec 2008. I eat between 1200-1500cals daily, cardio 30-45mins 5-6 days/week, strength-training 2-3 days a week. This has been my routine for 2yrs. I have been told that I need to eat more, so I have been trying to increase my cals to 1400-1600. However, when I have done that, I gain. It's not just the scale numbers -- these 10lbs have caused me to go up a dress size, too. This is frsutrating since I did not lose all this weight only to have it come back for no reason that I can see.

In trying to lose, I'm wondering how important the macronurients are? My "coach" has me at 30% carbs...when I see that I go over, I get frustrated and just quit eating in order to avoid eating any more carbs, even if I've only eaten 1200 cals for the day.

I have also read that starvation mode is a myth, but seems to be true for me as evidence my weight gain with increased (although still low) calories.

Any suggestions for what I might do or not do in order to encourage these 10lbs to go back where they came from?
tbrown1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I have a few questions for you. First, what is your goal with exercise and weights? That is, why are you working out 5-6 days a week?

Second, what is more important to you--your health or a number on the scale? This isn't as silly a question as it might sound...

I think it is possible to push so hard to stay at an arbitrary goal weight that one is exhausted and undernourished. The result can be going off a plan completely--and that's what usually leads to fat gain.

Weight gain is something different. You could be gaining muscle or other tissues, not fat.

My last question for now is, how do you want to live? Do you want to go on forever eating 1200-1500 cals all the time and working out 5-6 days a week? Does that seem sustainable to you? If so, good.

Some people may have to do that to maintain their weight.

Others may choose not to live that way and may discover that they don't have to! They can still have a weight in the "normal" range (which yours is) without constant stress, and feel as though they can do it forever without undue effort.

Oh, I forgot one more question: Who is this "coach"? A professional trainer? Where does 30% carbs come from?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-11-2010 at 03:50 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

We're the same height and weight!
You didn't happen to keep any diaries of what you were doing calorie and exercise-wise when you were 115 did you?

Are you counting your calories or are you estimating?

I just read an interview by Jillian Michaels and she said that our bodies naturally want to an extra 10 lbs of exra fat on our bodies in order to protect from famine, etc. In in order to lose it we have to be diligent.

'"You have to trick your body into thinking it's a safe weight," and that means plowing through the program without giving your body the chance to rebound back to its old weight.'

Has your exercise routine changed? Maybe do interval training. I started doing that a couple weeks ago, but I have yet to see if I'll be able to break through my plateau.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #4  

to Jay: I am working out 5-6 days a week b/c it's what I did when I originally lost my 75lbs. I usually work out to a cardio dvd in my living room early in the morning before my family wakes up. I am trying to lose the weight b/c no one wants to gain, right? I worked hard and healthy to lose 75lbs...then upon trying to maintain, I gained 10lbs over the course of a year. Also, I do'nt suppose you'd find any woman who says, "Yes, I gained a dress size!" Very frustrating to see my bag of clothes that fit only a year ago. No, I do not want to do 5-6 workout days a week with these little calories -- which is why I'm trying to figure out a change. I enjoy exercising but do not enjoy gaining weight, you see. I'd like to find a sustainable doable real-life lifestyle that doesn't cause me to gain 10 pounds. I figure if I'm going to gain no matter how much I work or how well I watch what I eat, then what's the point. And that is the wrong attitude as well, right? This coach is my beachbody coach yes, he is a perosnal trainer, but only MY beachbody coach.

to Taurie: yes, I have been logging my foods, even when I was at 115. I can't see where I've eaten anythign differently...in fact, I used to simply count calroies, but in the last 8mos have begun to also watch macronutrients. Ihave been doing the same cardio for awhile, but I like it I have done the p90X which did help me to tone nicely and drop body fat, but that is also when my jeans size went up.

The science of metabolism is very confusing (mind-wrenching, even!) and I'd like to nail the wisdom on it.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

OK, I understand that you are now trying to lose the 10 pounds and that's why the increased exercise. How often were you exercising during the time when you gained the 10 pounds? And were you also tracking your foods during that time?

I ask because maintenance usually means doing very similar things to weight loss, but with more leeway. 3FC has a maintainer's forum, and you'll find lots of successful folks there who have, yes, regained a bit and are trying to lose that.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/

Jay
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Could it be an increase in muscle mass? If you would eat at 1200- 1400 with cardio only and light muscle work, would that make a difference?

The most atheletic person I know, a triatholon competitor, is still a *bit* boxy and has some softness on her tummy and hips, so maybe it's all the work outs?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Could it be an increase in muscle mass? If you would eat at 1200- 1400 with cardio only and light muscle work, would that make a difference?
Unfortunately no, increasing lean muscle mass on a woman requires above-maintenance calories in addition to resistance training. A woman who trains with very heavy weights might be able to add 3-5lbs lean mass in an entire year.

You may want to change your macros. If you are 30% carbs, then you are what - 30-40% protein and 30-something fats?

Sounds like you've done a routine for so long that your body is just.. blah.

Instead of steady running 30-45 min 5-6x per week, try HIIT. 3 times per week max (even 2) at 20 minutes or less HIIT can really make a difference.

I'm not sure what your expectations for weight training are. If you want to increase muscle mass, you must eat above maintenance calories. What is your routine? Is it a bunch of isolation movements? Light weights? I'd say go in the opposite direction - heavy, compound movements. But again, to increase mass, is to increase calories. This is not always true of the obese, but at 115lbs, you can't join in the lose fat AND gain muscle category.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Is it possible that your body is just not comfortable at that lower weight? I've been reading Thin for Life (not done yet) and it studies hundreds of people who have lost a lot of weight and have managed to keep it off. Turns out that a huge percentage of them actually gained a little bit of weight from their lowest point and have remained there for many years because it was just too difficult for them to maintain such a low number, whatever that number might be. They are still considered a success story, as are you! As hard as it is to accept, sometimes, it's the case. I'm not saying that is what is going on here, but I just wonder, since you seem to be doing so much. Just hang in there...don't be so hard on yourself. You're doing everything you can and your body is not always going to do exactly what you want it to, but you should still celebrate all that you have achieved.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #9  

Good responses - thanks!

I have not actually increased my exercise -- I have been doing 5-6 days a week for the last 2 yrs. When I initially reached 115lbs, I was working out 1 1/2 - 2hrs a day. I got to a "happy with me" weight, and cut my exercise to 1 hour a day. (and to be honest: 2hrs is tough to find!)

I do the Turbo Jam workouts from Beachbody (8 diff cardios, 4 diff strengths -- all cardios include some HIIT); I also rotate in Jillian Michael's 30day Shred and the Biggest Winner series; I will occasionally do a P90X video as well, so I think I have a pretty good mix going. I run when the weather is warmer...2-3 miles at a time.

This has been my routine for some time, so I can agree that I should mix it up a little more. I think I'm more confused and concerned about the weight gain, even though it doens't seem mathematically possible??? I fear that I may be up another 10 in a year, then another...then all of the weight is back?????
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

This is a fear that every maintainer has.

But consider this--when you picked a goal weight, you kind of just chose a number. Maybe it was based on BMI or some other kind of "ideal" chart. Fact is, none of us knows what our own body's ideal weight is. Just because you choose a number mentally that makes sense, that doesn't mean that your body can reach it or sustain it.

You've been working out 5-6 times a day for two years--so we know that your weight gain isn't because you aren't getting enough exercise! So IMO it's likely that exercise, different exercise, more weights, etc., isn't the answer you're looking for.

I don't think that cutting your calories more is the answer either. IMO you might want to try simply maintaining your weight where it is for awhile. It sounds like you don't have exercise goals beyond weight loss (such as a marathon or something!), so maybe ease back on the exercise to 4-5 days, or alternatively, lower the intensity. And make your average daily intake closer to the 1500 side than the 1200 side.

I know you're afraid you'll gain all the weight back, and that fear can be helpful--so keep watching what your weight does. Your weight may go up a little at first, but don't panic if it does, if you're eating well and not going overboard. Put a time limit on the "experiment"--say, do it for two weeks at a time and just see what happens. You might be surprised.

Good luck!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-12-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Quote:
I have not actually increased my exercise -- I have been doing 5-6 days a week for the last 2 yrs. When I initially reached 115lbs, I was working out 1 1/2 - 2hrs a day. I got to a "happy with me" weight, and cut my exercise to 1 hour a day. (and to be honest: 2hrs is tough to find!)

If you cut your exercise in half and did not change your calories, that may have upset the delicate balance that maintenance is. If it took you a year to gain it, then in a perfect world that's just a extra couple of thousand calories a month. 500 calories a week, 75 calories a day. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that clearly and we have to shake things up to keep it the way we like it. However, I would not eat even more and move less. Basically, that's what you already did when you hit maintenance, and it's easy to overshoot the goal.

I would not add calories and lower intensity, because that's only going to make your weight level off even higher. You're just changing (and increasing) your set point if you do that. If you gained it gradually and without noticing, maybe you can also lose it gradually and without noticing. I'd drop 50-100 calories a day, or maybe keep it the same and watch the balance of carbs/protein a bit better (some people metabolize things differently and react differently to carbohydrates, especially simple ones - and I'm guessing your trainer thought you might have needed an adjustment?) and I'd also change up your exercise routine because your body is used to this one. The body can become more efficient and conserve calories from a daily routine. Has P90 got another edition? Maybe there is something else by the same company that you also like? Again, I wouldn't cut it because what you are doing on a daily basis sounds normal and necessary for maintenance.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 01-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #12  
19Deltawifey

How long have you been upping your calories to 1400-1600? If its been less then 2 weeks then thats not long enough for your body to get used to eat more. When I upped my calories from 1200 to 2000 cals I gain a little but now its slowly coming off. I believe in starvation mode for my body because it doesn't matter how low my calories are I will eventually stall and not lose a pound no matter how hard I try. If your old routine worked for you then I wouldn't change it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
I would not add calories and lower intensity, because that's only going to make your weight level off even higher. You're just changing (and increasing) your set point if you do that.
In other words, everyone has a different opinion, and no one here can tell you what to do!

Jay
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I can't help you with most of it, but on the point about starvation mode...

It is not a myth. Your body is a well-designed machine, with all forms of energy-saving mechanisms. If you give it less fuel than it wants/needs, it's going to start rationing the fuel it gets. If you're giving it fuel it can easily convert to storage (refined carbs), that's where it's going to favor putting the fuel.

Think of it this way. If you know that you're going to lose your income in 8 weeks, you'll immediately begin rationing. You might turn off the cable, the cell phone, the DVD rental plan and stop eating out. Then you'll take that extra few hundred dollars and throw it into a savings account. When you do lose the income, you'll take out the bare minimum to survive. If your aunt sends you $100 for your birthday, you'll throw it in savings. Even after you get a new income, you'll be rationing as you pay off the debts you incurred during the time you had none. Once everything is steady again, though, you'll be willing to part with cash to buy something nice.

Your body is the exact same way. When you're giving it little fuel, it's going to "bank" everything it can. When you give it the right amount of fuel, it's going to pay off its "debts." And, finally, when all the dust settles, it will go back to working efficiently and doing all the extras, like weight loss.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #15  

You guys are so awesome! Yes, I know I'm not gaining b/c I'm eating too much or moving too little -- I think that's why it seems so shocking to me? I will certainly try to change my workouts up a bit, but I really dig the Turbo Jam series.

Quote:
How long have you been upping your calories to 1400-1600? If its been less then 2 weeks then thats not long enough for your body to get used to eat more
Yes, it has been 2-3wks -- I gained a bit easy when I switched, freaked out, and cut back again. All I could think was "Good grief, I DO NOT want to go the shopping for bigger pants" :P I had accepted the first 5lbs and even became friends with them, but these next 5 are not welcome here.

I have no other goals other than losing the recent gain -- I wish I had other goals, but marathons don't do it for me.

Ok, I'll keep working and keep you all updated.