Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Holiday damage control.

Well I was doing so good before the dreaded Thanksgiving holiday rolled around. Because of "Black Friday" (as in most of my family worked the night of Thanksgiving.) we had out thanksgiving dinner the Monday before. Then black friday hit and my BF and i had the most stressful three days. (the day before the day of and the day after...we work at wal-mart btw) Sad to say my diet when to pot. And I had a pregnancy scare when my cycle was two days late.
Not that I wouldn't mind finally having a baby, but I'm not at the weight I want to be and I was at a holiday party where I did drink pretty heavy for the first time in my life. That's not the best way to start bringing a life into the world. talk about stress...oiy.

Damages: 10.5 pounds gained.

I'm confident that I can drop most of it pretty well this coming week. I know a lot of it is from eating junk, and I just have to start back on my clean eating too flush it out of my system.

Christmas is 22 days away and already the pies and cookies are starting to roll out from all those people that must bake the entire holiday season. The break room at work is littered with glittery cookies and red and green cupcakes and I can just smell the sugar when ever I go in there. (funny how once you eat clean you can just taste the sickening sweetness in the air when your next to stuff like that.)

But I pledge that starting today I'll start back on my clean eating full force, as if this blip in the road never happened and I'll be back to my 242 pounds (2 pounds away from mini goal!) within three weeks, if not sooner.

Anyone else have damage control to do?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  
No description available.

The hard part about the holidays is all of the food around on all the days that aren't even holidays! Crazy, isn't it? But today is Wed, Dec 2nd. Not a holiday, unless it's your birthday. So.....the sweets might be there but they really shouldn't be. I mean, would there be a bunch of cupcakes out on April 19th for no good reason?

It is possible to navigate this landmine called the holiday season. I use the same strategies I use the rest of the year: planning, consistency, discipline, getting right back to plan if I eat something junky.

good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel ya- I went from 207 to 213 after this holiday! WAY too much stress and too much food around

Now it's back to clean eating AND trying to not let the pattern repeat itself on Christmas! I'm 210.5 today so that is definitely a good sign.

Last edited by beerab; 12-02-2009 at 12:37 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #4  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

for all of us. I am totally with you girls.

I was at 215 on 11/19 -today 217.8. Monday I was 220+!!! And I don't know about you girls but the crap food we get at the office is my downfall. Last week alone (which was only 3 work days) we had 3 apple tarts, 1 apple pie, dozen donuts, etc...

BUT! It's over as of this past Monday. We're all back on the wagon and I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to end Dec w/a lower number than I started..
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #5  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

im with you chickies ... im so ashamed to admit .... 12 pounds up .... thanksgiving was a disaster black friday was a disaster saturday was all the left overs from thanks giving sunday was my cousins 21st bday so you know we had tons of food ... and scince then i havent managed to get back on track ::sighs:: hoping for a good tomorow ...

btw working in any retail enviroment is stressful ... i can see how diet slip ups happen there .... much less walmart i think id shoot myself if i worked at walmart on blackfriday AND i was on a diet the sheer volume of work would kill me .... id feel entitled to some extra food lolz
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #6  
Less is more.

Tell me about it Chunkey Munkey...I had to suck down energy drinks to survive Friday and Saturday. And I hate energy drinks because they always give me headaches a few hours later, and I just got off my caffeine fix the week before.

I think people bake WAY more than they thought they needed and end up bringing their basket of sinful goodies to work to sit in our break-room. Most days it's easy to ignore it... some days though, when my energy is lagging I really feellike sucking down a slice of pie or cookies or whatnot. I have yet to give in to that sort of stuff at work, but at home... forget it. all the leftovers from Thanksgiving finally went away... sadly because we ate it all. *sigh*
Old 12-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Planning, planning and more planning. Have healthy snacks with you. Make yourself some rules. Make yourself some definite NO's. Turn a blind eye to those other foods. They're not meant for you, they're not intended for you. Make them out of the question - no ifs ands or buts.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #8  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I agree with rockinrobin. Just say no!! And don't bring those leftovers home!! If you cooked at your house, send them away or throw them away!! A waste yes, but better in the trash or down the garbage disposal than on your body.

Kinda late for thanksgiving but make a plan for Christmas. Tell yourself you're not having those bad things and stick to it. Easier said than done but it can be done and you'll feel better for it.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Yeah, Thanksgiving really sent me for a loop too. I just haven't been able to get back on track until today. It was just so NICE eating what I wanted again, in quantities that were filling, even as I saw the scale going up. Hopefully I can turn it around now, though.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #10  
Less is more.

two pounds down today. 8 pounds to go. huzzah for detoxing.

You know, not that holiday food is around all the time, but it really beat it in my brain how this is a lifestyle change. I know that once i reach my goal, i can't go back to eating like i did before. i will always have to watch what I eat and take the creeping scale as a warning. But I also know, that birthdays and holidays only come around a few times a year, and as long as i eat great the rest of the time, then I should be okay.
Sometimes it makes me nervous about maintaining. Sometimes I will get relaxed about my weight loss when I hit a certain point, even though it's no where close to my goal.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #11  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm in! I gained 6 lbs over TGiving. Now I'm down a couple, so I still have 4 more to go. Le Sigh.

I was on plan with exercise yesterday. Ate a little too much but that's ok. I have a plan for today.

Good luck, chickies!!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
You know, not that holiday food is around all the time, but it really beat it in my brain how this is a lifestyle change. I know that once i reach my goal, i can't go back to eating like i did before. i will always have to watch what I eat and take the creeping scale as a warning. But I also know, that birthdays and holidays only come around a few times a year, and as long as i eat great the rest of the time, then I should be okay.
That's the thing. We say to ourselves, "well Thanksgiving is just ONE day". But what about Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, VAlentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, Family birthdays, Anniverseries, Weddings, Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Super bowl party, social functions, business events, vacations and on and on and on. That's a heckuva lot more then just ONE DAY. All of those ONE DAYS really add up.

Each one of those days can't be a free for all. I like to look at my social calender for the month ahead and DECIDE BEFORE HAND which events I will splurge at and which one's I will stay firmly on track for. And having made the decision ahead of time, I enjoy each event equally - the ones where I splurge - and the ones where I don't.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

rockinrobin, that is an excellent point! And a good strategy. It's a really slippery slope to use the "just one day" approach too often.

The point is, everything we eat counts, whether we decide it's a "special day" or not.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #14  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

I totally agree, it is SO much harder to lose weight during the holidays. My job brings in so much junk food anyway, and once the season rolls around our kitchen is stocked with it. For instance, yesterday someone brought in tons of homemade cookies, then she brought in a homemade pomegranite cheese cake. Ohhhhh, it is SO hard to resist. But I had to recommit myself after Thanksgiving because I had a bad week, so I resisted.

Good for your for recommiting. Don't be too hard on yourself, many of us are in the same boat as you. Just do the best you can to get though it, and you will be fine.
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

I am definitely with you. I gained over the holiday and now this week it has been my daughter's birthday, we are traveling 3 hours away to a memorial service tomorrow, and then helping my son move on Sunday. In 10 days I am having back surgery and then it will be Christmas. Hopefully Jan 1 I will be able to start walking for exercise again.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote