Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

Default When is dinner for you?

Okay, havent lost much weight lately..and I dont know why..I keep going back in my journal and im trying to find out what im doing wrong (although havent exercised alot lately) that could be 1 and the other..I think im eating too late. Wed and Thur dont get off till 9 ..so then I come home and eat which is a bad no no!!..So when is dinner for you all..when is your last meal. I always heard your not suppose to eat after 6 is this right? Thanks guys any advice would be helpful
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it is a bunch of baloney about not eating after certain hours. it is the amount of calories that you take in that is important and exercise, too. I eat dinner between 5 & 6 but have a snack about 10PM and have done this all along.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I think the whole theory of "don't eat after XPM" started because a lot of people have a night-snacking habit. So to break it, this rule was created. I don't think it matters what time you eat. In my experience, I have dinner around 6:30- 7:30. Sometimes it's earlier, other times later and I haven't had problems with weight loss. I think it's a matter of calories in v. calories out. When I overdo my calories, I find that I gain weight in no time.

I would suggest trying out the following sites: freedieting.com, sparkpeople.com and thedailyplate.com for your daily caloric needs. Once you get a range down, see if your daily intake exceeds or falls far below this range. For example, if your range is 1600 - 1800 and you're eating a minimum of 2000 cals a day, then you're going to see either maintenance of your weight or an increase. However, if you're at 1200 calories, you will lose in the beginning but eventually you will stall and it will be difficult to significantly drop your calories afterward.

Also, I started out with exercise, but soon realized that my diet needed to change for me to lose more than 2-3 lbs. I would suggest getting your diet in place and then dealing with exercise because I believe in the saying "diet is 80% of weightloss."

Good luck!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I try not to eat after 7 because I am the least active after that point. It kind of makes sense to eat lighter in the evening because that's when most of us are on the couch or in the bed, not doing anything, and then it's just there. But as long as it's healthy and you are making an effort to exercise at some point in the day, you will burn them off eventually.

Good luck!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I nthink it is a bunch of baloney about not eating after certain hours. it is the amount of calories that you take in that is important and exercise, too. I eat dinner between 5 & 6 but have a snack about 10PM and have done this all along.

I totally agree. I normally do not even have my dinner until around 10-10:30pm and I still have a snack about midnight before I go to bed.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

WHEN I eat isn't important. WHAT I eat is!

I have noticed that I like to eat lightly (very light breakfast under 250 calories) and then have a huge gorge at 4 p.m. or so. When hubby finally eats his proper dinner it is usually 8 or so. I usually have just some vegetables or whatever with him. This schedule is what suits me. All the years that I grazed all day and overate--I never KNEW what I really liked or what my body preferred. Now, I do.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I try not to eat anything after 7pm.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #8  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

If I couldn't backload my daily calorie allowance, to keep me eating every couple of hours from about 6 PM until I go to bed around 11 or midnight, I would not have been as successful as I have so far. Basically, dinner + 2 snacks. This is what works for me, because night eating was always my big problem, and making certain I have a steady stream of healthy, satisfying foods coming my way during my weakest time helps me a lot.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

It was actually proved recently that it doesn't matter how late you eat.

Basically the whole thing was about ppl who eat EXTRA calories late at night. As in, you've eaten all of your allotted calories by 6PM and then you eat at 11PM. But if you haven't eaten all of your calories by 6, it's ok to eat later.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the others, what matters is calories consumed vs. calories burned. I eat dinner between 5 and 7 p.m., but I make sure that I have calories saved up for a snack at around 9 p.m. If by some chance I don't have extra calories, I drink a cup of chamomile tea and that calms my hunger enough.
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree that when you eat does not affect how many calories you burn. However, I will say that eating late at night FEELS like I digest more slowly. If I eat around 7 I feel great the next morning. If I eat at 10 I feel more bloated and it usually shows on the scale, but I think that's because I haven't digested completely yet.

I think you're experiencing something different altogether, not really associated with the time you eat. Could be a plateau, could be you need to shift your calories a bit, it could be water retention, any number of things but I don't think it's late night dinners.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

We eat dinner around 6:30pm, that being said it doesn't matter when you eat- it matters what and how much you eat. Some people work graveyard shift and obviously don't eat on the same schedule as others.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I read some where that the only reason eating later matters is because you don't have the time to burn those calories off at all...well, other than what your body needs to survive. But it doesn't really matter if you're still sticking to a diet plan.

I eat dinner later sometimes. And honestly, if I'm up until 1am studying, you better believe I'm hungry...so I'll eat at 10pm to make sure I don't binge late at night. If you're not getting home until 9pm, eat dinner then...just build it into your days.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I usually don't get home from work until 7pm and if it is karate night, I can't eat prior and we don't get home until nearly 10pm. Dinner usually happens around 8pm. For karate, I'll eat a decent snack around 6pm and maybe something really light at 10pm.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I agree with what the others have said! I found out that it doesn't matter what time you eat, your body is going to burn calories the same way. What's most important is WHAT you are eating.

Don't give up.. if you keep eating right and exercising as much as you get the chance to, you'll lose

Oh, and I just eat dinner whenever I get a chance! Haha

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 11-05-2009 at 06:03 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote