Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #31  

Height: 5'6"

I agree Tootsie rolls and 3 musketeers bars are good, the fitness article mentioned they're lower calorie so if you have to eat candy, they're def. a better choice! I ate a lot of starburst and definitely had a few cupcakes...but what can you do!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

I think it's easy to just say to use willpower and avoid the temptation but the fact is that if we all could do that we wouldn't be (or have been) overweight. If you have kids, you are going to have trick-or-treating candy in the house. The past few days have been bad for me as I have been having a few bite-size pieces of the Halloween candy several times a day. I know I probably won't lose any weight this week but I seem to have hit a month-long plateau anyway so I think that is why I am letting myself have the treats.

My point is that this is real life. In real life, there is going to be Halloween candy, and Christmas cookies, and big Thanksgiving dinners, and birthday cakes, and so much more. These things will be temptations year after year after year. My feeling is that if you are eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly, you can allow yourself these treats as they come through the year.
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I don't know if any of you have husbands but can you let the your husbands handle the candy. When I was a kid my parents rationed out the candy to us anyway or we would eat it until we made ourselves sick. I don't have kids which I suppose is a blessing but I did give out candy and I have leftovers. Something must be a little different for me this year/this time around because I am totally a sugar addict. I actually forgot about the candy. It was sitting on the buffet table by the front door for a couple days before I remembered it was there-normally it would be calling my name. I finally put it in a plastic bag to take to work last night. I'm not going to tell you its easy because I know its not but some of it has to do with where you are psychologically with this. I have come to terms with the fact that I can't eat sugar responsibly. Even when I do eat it I know I'm gonna be sorry. I'm not trying to be "preachy" I'm trying to help.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 236.5 (pg)/209/150

Height: 5'9"

I had a hard time with the candy too. We took our son trick-or-treating, just to show off his costume to our neighbors- obviously he can't enjoy it quite yet (at 11 months old) so I knew it would be very tempting- it's not like a baby who can't talk is going to rat you out for stealing his treats!! LOL!

PLUS, he looked so darn cute that some people practically emptied their candy bowls into his bag! Great!!!

The good news is that I took everyone's advice and left the candy in the trunk of the car. I was going to bring it to work (although I would probably have still snacked on it there, so not the best plan) but the day after Halloween was very hot here and all the candy melted!! YAY!!!!! I threw it all away and I consider it a blessing in disguise!!!!

For those of you that want the leftover candy out of the house, but don't want to be wasteful- I have also heard that many places are collecting unwanted candy to send to the troops. Just an idea... a way to get the temptation out of the house, and also give something small to those that are serving our country.

I hope everyone was able to survive the Halloween madness! For me, I was up a pound this week, which is a bummer but I know the choices I made that let the scale go up. This week will be better!

Hang in there, everyone- in two months the holidays will be done!
fattybobatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #35  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
TMG2008 original posted My point is that this is real life. In real life, there is going to be Halloween candy, and Christmas cookies, and big Thanksgiving dinners, and birthday cakes, and so much more. These things will be temptations year after year after year. My feeling is that if you are eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly, you can allow yourself these treats as they come through the year.
I used to think this way but after trying this for years, had to change my mind. I once calculated how many special occasions there are for me. Between all the standard holidays, my family's birthdays and anniversaries there were about 25. Letting myself have just a little candy and cakes can easily cancel out a whole week's worth of weight loss work so I could easily waste 25 weeks or worse. That does not even cover friends' birthdays or food at work or church occasions. I just can't afford calorie wise to let myself indulge every time there is a holiday or special occasion.

More power to those of you who can but I have to pick and choose carefully those occasions when I will let myself have a special treat.

Last edited by time2lose; 11-04-2009 at 01:17 PM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote