Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default blood test results giving me a frowny face

So, my MD called me this morning with my blood test results from my checkup. My overall cholesterol was very good. But then my bad cholesterol was *slightly* over (by one point). My good cholesterol was low, by like almost 20 points. Is this a cause for concern? The bad cholesterol thing doesn't worry me much because it's only one point, but are there adverse health effects to good cholesterol being low? I was 1/2 asleep when he called and didnt think to ask this stuff, and now hes out of town till Oct 12. Otherwise, everything was fine. I believe my blood levels indicated that I was on my way to diabetes before I started, so I'm glad I tested within range this time!

Oh and I should probably mention that I am 28 years old, in case that factors in somehow.

Last edited by juliastl27; 10-02-2009 at 12:32 AM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It's waaay too early in the morning for me to get very scientific about any of this, other than to say. Nope, keep up the good work.

Just keep getting your levels checked on a regular basis. A trend will tell the tale.

I haven't gone looking at your other threads to see what you eat but it'd be worth looking into the quality and quantity of your fats.
I googled "foods that improve good cholesterol" and got several good references. One was a reference to aerobic exercise!

Make sure to let us know what your results are next time.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Regular exercise will make the biggest difference to your good cholesterol (HDL). Another factor is not eating a lot of carbs. The amount of cholesterol in your food isn't usually a major factor.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Fid the doctor prescribe any medication ? If not I wouldn't worry about and talk to him when he gets back.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

20 points, welcome to that club. I got that with my results in fact mine were flagged as low cholesterol. My bad was great, my good was 20 or 21, which is tooooo low. So, you have to make sure you are getting plenty of good fat in your diet, walnuts, avocado, olive oil, etc. My total was 111 which my doctor said "no no no toooooo low" lol...so I have to eat fat to get those numbers up. And I had a giant red flag by my HDL levels on my test lol.

Exercising as well!

So hopefully when I get my blood tests done again, probably in a few months, I'll have better good and great bad again. I just need to improve those lovely HDLS! I believe my doc said that she wants to see my HDLs go up to the 40s - 50s, she said to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients and good fat in my diet as well as being active basically... Small changes!

Last edited by Jacquie668; 10-02-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

My DBF was told his cholesterol was high last year. His family has a history of cholesterol issues & are all on dangerous statin drugs. This Dr. wanted DBF on 20 mg a day of Lipitor. He never discussed diet or exercise. Thankfully, DBF listened to me and did not fill the prescription He began eating low carb and taking supplements. Here are his before & after numbers:

BEFORE:
Total Cholesterol: 275
LDL: 191
HDL: 47
Triglycerides: 184

AFTER:
Total Cholesterol: 195
LDL: 123
HDL: 50
Triglycerides: 114

An excellent long read on cholesterol, statin drugs and the true culprit of heart disease....SUGAR!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_290687.html
The AHA has recently issued a statement regarding sugar and telling people they should reduce their consumption. Hmmm, coincidence....or....is someone finally starting to get a clue!

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

JerseyGyrl - THANK YOU!!! Printing that one to carry with me whenever I get challenged by mainstream-media-saturated goofballs. And you must have a one-in-a-million BF - a GUY who listens to a woman? And makes changes on the basis of her knowledge?
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote