Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default 5lbs in 4 days gained

I'm sick this week. I've had the flu for 5 days and can't exercise at all. Walking from one room to the other is exhausting. I'm not keeping my food journal while I'm sick, I figure that I've got to deal with getting better first and not have the added pressure of weighing and measuring my food. I haven't eaten very badly, maybe just a little overdoing it on some comfort foods.

I weighed myself on Monday at 180.2 and this thursday morning I was at 184.9 = how is this possible? In addition to being sick I feel fat and disgusting.

Some encouragement needed.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I always gain a little during illness but lose it all and then some when I'm on the mend. Consider that you're probably dehydrated, which actually causes your tissues to hold on to as much water as possible and up your weight. The comfort foods are probably higher in salt than your usual diet, so there's some more water weight. If you haven't been exercising, your digestive track is running a little sluggish, leading to some bloat weight.

On top of all that, since your body is working like gangbusters to fight off the virus, your metabolism is more than likely second priority in the energy distribution.

I'd really suggest getting out and walking during the sunniest part of the day. It's completely exhausting, I know, but, when I'm sick, I sleep so much better after a 15 or 20 minute stroll.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Honestly I would say it is not true weight. In order for you to gain a pound a day, you would have to eat a lot of calories and fat. You may be up because of your sickness and water intake. I always notice my body tends to retain water a bit when I'm sick.

My weight fluctuates between 1-5 pounds daily. My lowest weight at the moment is 267, but I'm on the dreaded TOM so my weight is up to 271 today. When I eat foods that are high in sodium I show a weight increase the following day or two. Being sick, I don't even weigh myself. I wait until I'm well and I always notice a loss of weight after. Now this is just what happens with me, but your body is doing other things and I agree with Altari.

Give it some time and see where you are when you get well. Focus on healing you at this time. I hope you get well!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Being sick, you are retaining water, just as such when TOM is around. This is not reflective of your true weight, as it is not possible to gain that much (unless you lived at a chinese buffet for all the days you were sick), I would just let your illness pass, try to drink plenty of water and weigh yourself when your 100% better. I for one, lose weight when I am ill.

Goood luck chickadee!
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Okay, take a deep breath. This EXACT same thing happened to me last week. I was up 4 pounds overnight despite staying perfectly on plan. That dreaded morning I had a sore throat and a headache, followed by the worst case of the sniffles. Over the course of a week I blew a gallon of snot from my nose (sorry TMI ) and then by the 5th day or so I peed probably about 20 times in one day. By the next morning I was down the 4 plus one and now I'm down a few more. Your body deffinately holds onto fluid to make all that lovely congestion. Stick to your plan, get plenty of rest and eat well and you will be back in action in no time!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-17-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I gained 5 pounds in 24 hours earlier this week. It's all gone and I got a new low yesterday! The scale is just crazy! It's the easiest thing to use, but it's sure not reliable enough to get discouraged over. Remember the scale is measuring everything including retained water and whatever is in your digestive system. Drinking lots of water will help flush both of those as well as helping flush the virus out of your system.

You'll get better and back to normal and back on track and the scale will show that eventually.

Sending healing energies your way!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

This happened to me last week (see my thread from Monday!). It is all gone today (Thurs.). I was not sick, but also did not live at a Chinese buffet.

I did have pizza over the weekend, so perhaps it was the sodium. Hang in there...
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #8  

Hope you are ok. I am sorry to hear that. Yes, 4lbs is not bad. just burn them quickly. Once you get a hang on your program. And stay away with you scale. Just let it flow.
kate looseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #9  

Hope you are ok. I am sorry to hear that. Yes, 4lbs is not bad. just burn them quickly. Once you get a hang on your program. And stay away with you scale. Just let it flow.
kate looseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #10  
To war!

S/C/G: 194/ticker/135?

Height: 5' 3"

Everybody said the right things: it's almost certainly water gain, your body needs more water to heal, so it hold on to it for dear life. Drink a lot. You'll be up and running in no time.
Tante Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better, but not well enough to exercise yet. It's so hard to diet when I'm sick because a lot of the foods that I eat everyday (yogurts, salads, nuts, veggies) are very unappealing to me, maybe because they're cold and crunchy. I like having soft comforting food when I'm sick and I hope I can get through this without gaining too much weight.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote