Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/177/140

Height: 5'2

Default Telling people about your program.

How does everyone go about telling people "I'm on a diet."
If you just say "I'm trying to eat healthier", it's easy for someone to say "Oh well, it's just one lunch date right?"

For instance the other day a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a few months invited me out for lunch. It was her turn to buy, so she suggested Olive Garden.
And those of you that know Olive Garden, know that there are really no healthy alternatives to be had there (sodiummmmmm.)

I ended up just giving in and going and ordering the chicken parm and not saying anything. I felt like I had a hard time just coming out and saying that I'm actually on a strict plan.
What do you guys say?
purplebrickroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I just say that my doctor says I need to lose weight and then I ask if we can go someplace that's healthier. Usually all my friends are like sure no problem where would you like to go?

Sometimes it's hard to avoid eating out though
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

My closest friends know I will join them at a restaurant but only have something to drink while they eat. For more casual acquaintances I just make the healthiest choice I can. My plan is the way I plan on eating for the rest of my life so I have to be able to figure restaurant eating is going to have to fit in.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

ugh, this is a tough one. i hate telling anyone because of the immediate barrage of advice that i didnt ask for. in the end, i just skirt the question. i just say im not hungry, or i feel nauseous (this is a good one, lol), or that my doctor wants me to watch my sodium intake.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #5  

I'm of the belief that there is always something on the menu that I can eat. Garden salad with grilled chicken is something that, if it's not *on* the menu, can be made to order in the kitchen. Anywhere. Dressing on the side. Voila!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #6  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

In this case, did you just try to make a different suggestion? (Plus, did you know that the Olive Garden has ALL of it's nutrition facts on its website now? I was shocked! A lot of it is bad, but at least now you have information to make educated choices!)

In your example, I would have said, "How about Chilis or Applebees?" I might have even added in a little white lie. "I just went to Olive Garden a few days ago!"

As far as in general, I agree with some of the previous posters. My close fiends and family are willing to go to restaurants of my choice, I try to swing casual acquaintances to diet-friendly place, and if all else fails I just do the best that I can!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #7  

Height: 6'1

If I feel uncomfortable discussing with my tablemates, I try order something relatively healthy and then eat only half and take the rest home.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebrickroad View Post
How does everyone go about telling people "I'm on a diet."
If you just say "I'm trying to eat healthier", it's easy for someone to say "Oh well, it's just one lunch date right?"

For instance the other day a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a few months invited me out for lunch. It was her turn to buy, so she suggested Olive Garden.
And those of you that know Olive Garden, know that there are really no healthy alternatives to be had there (sodiummmmmm.)

I ended up just giving in and going and ordering the chicken parm and not saying anything. I felt like I had a hard time just coming out and saying that I'm actually on a strict plan.
What do you guys say?
Olive Garden might have a lot of sodium, but they do have some relatively low-cal alternatives. I have no problem telling people when I am on plan, because if they are going to start spouting off advice, I just tell them that I am an adult, and my adult choice is to try to feel great about myself and fit into those size 4 jeans I just bought. I have heard a lot of comments. They have started to just become more positive. I think it is shocking for friends to see a dramatic weight loss, and I think sometimes they think the right thing to say, just to be a good friend, is, oh, you look fine, you don't need to lose any weight.

You aren't doing it for them; for yourself and maybe your family if you have kids and want to stay healthy with them. If you are on a strict plan, I would just tell your friend that exactly. Ask her if you can meet at a restaurant with a salad bar or a place you are comfortable ordering.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

There is no reason to tell others "I'm on a diet." That just makes them feel like they are partly responsible for your food choices, and they are not.

You can always suggest a different place to go eat, or you can strategize ahead of time about what you're going to eat, but you do NOT have to explain your choices!

I find most people do not care about what you eat until you tell them you're on a diet, and then some of them start watching your every move with food, and asking you things like, "Can you eat that?" or "Is this OK on your DIET?" or "Did you just not want dessert or is it your DIET?"

Losing weight is hard enough without making it a topic of group conversation.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 09-10-2009 at 01:54 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #10  

I have this trouble when meeting friends who live in predominantly chain restaurant areas. -i really really don't like their food (with exception of chipotle veg taco . And didn't eat it at my fattest.

If there are other options, I don't see what's wrong with saying you don't like olive garden, or you can say you just became aware of some of their cooking practices and would prefer to eat somewhere else.

You don't have to tell anyone you're on a diet if you don't want to. And its not your fault that you don't want to eat crap. I hate that if you don't want to ingest nasty stuff, there is somehow something wrong with you, or you feel outcast somewhat.

When the olive garden comes around, you'll eat there.

Don't get me wrong, I have certainly compromised myself for the convenience of others but I have ALWAYS regretted it. Every time.

If there really is no other option for eating out, why don't you change your lunch date with this person to a coffee date. It seems as though this will probably come up again soon since you alternate treating each other.
And, if chk parm at olive garden is something that is your fav, wouldn't you rather eat it on your terms, when you really truly wanted it?
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Olive Garden has put out some healthier meals, not sure if the Canadian ones have, but I'm sure they have similar things. Grilled chicken or salmon with veggies is one I see on their website aimed on the lighter menu. they also have a delicious minestrone soup that's low in calories. The Canada website lists some low fat dinners

Just check the websites of restaurants you go to often so you know ahead of time what they have, usually you can manage to find something to fit your diet so you don't have to announce it to the world.

Last edited by ringmaster; 09-10-2009 at 02:34 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Oh I get those "helpful" tips all the time. I just nod my head like I'm agreeing with them, then change the subject, I don't feel like arguing with them. I mean last time I was told "you can eat whatever you want, just ONLY eat two times a day."

Uh NO... I just told them "that doesn't work for me. So any plans for this weekend?" lol.

Last edited by beerab; 09-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/164/120

Height: 5'0"

I've been on a lot of different diets and found that no matter what I was doing at the time, someone in any group would criticize it.

Then they would all jump in with "what worked for me" suggestions, which I'd usually already tried unsuccessfully or just sounded silly. I've even been told that you should only eat ONCE a day when you need to lose weight!

So I usually don't talk about diet/weight except with my husband (he is also trying to lose and also having a hard time finding a plan that works).

If I'm going out with a group that wants to go to a chain place, I go on the website and decide ahead of time what to have, or if there really isn't anything I want to eat I'll have a salad or soup. I'm actually not a big eater anyway, I can never finish a typical restaurant meal.
tiggycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 181/177/140

Height: 5'2

Thanks for all of the great comments, I really appreciate it.
I'm just having a tough time changing my lifestyle, everyone is so used to me saying "Sure, let's go" when they ask me to go out for pizza or the like.
I sort of feel like I'm missing out if I don't go, and that I bring everyone else down if I'm there picking at a salad.

It's tough, but thanks for all the comments!
purplebrickroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't work but do remember how hard it was to turn down a social event. I would probably get a salad or buy a drink while everyone ate.
What I do when I'm invited to a gathering at someone's house, knowing that they won't have anything I'd be able to eat or just finger foods. I usually will make something at home or go out to eat, so that way I am able to munch on veggies.
My friends know I'm serious about my weight loss, so they understand and will try to choose restaurants that are more healthy.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote