Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default TOM and veering off plan

As usual, I am interested in other's opinions on various subjects. This subject is -

Do you think TOM is a "valid" reason to give into "cravings" and/or binge and go off plan?

For me, it is not. If I stray because of TOM then, for me, I am not sure I could hop back on track so for me, I stay on plan almost 99.99% of the time.

Opinions? Thoughts? Share
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it's valid to adjust one's eating to one's body's needs. But I don't think that *ever* has to mean binging.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #3  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

For me, no. If I give into my TOM cravings then they wont just be TOM cravings but all the time cravings until I could get past them again like I did at the very beginning of my weight loss.

I need a lot of self-discipline to stay on plan and giving in to excuses, even just a little can snowball really fast for me.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
For me, no. If I give into my TOM cravings then they wont just be TOM cravings but all the time cravings until I could get past them again like I did at the very beginning of my weight loss.

I need a lot of self-discipline to stay on plan and giving in to excuses, even just a little can snowball really fast for me.
Same here, MewoMix. If I give in, it can quickly turn to a full out binge type situation and I just refuse to let it happen.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #5  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

I am always so sick and miserable during the first few days of mine that I am physically incapable of my normal cooking/eating/exercising habits. And very weird things happen to my appetite, so I end up sometimes eating very little, but not always healthy choices, but I need anything I can keep down so that I can take painkillers. Sometimes it's three bowls of Total, sometimes it's three pieces of pizza.

I don't allow myself carte blanche, but I have decided to not torture myself over what happens for those couple of days, and just focus on returning to business as usual once I recover. It's a priority thing for me - if all **** is breaking loose in my body, hating myself after the fact does nothing but bring my spirits down. Better to focus on doing the right thing going forward.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #6  
Now Or Never

S/C/G: 285/see ticker/190

Height: 5'8"

Okay, I for one gave into some cravings during TOM (We are human). However, I am going to plan my course of action so it doesn't happen next month.
Trix4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

I never implied anyone wasn't human or that is necessarily a bad thing if someone does give into cravings. I only posted the question for others thoughts on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by Onederchic; 09-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #8  
Now Or Never

S/C/G: 285/see ticker/190

I think it is definitely not a good reason to veer off a plan. I guess if someone does, hopefully they have the strength to continue like I will do
Trix4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

I eat pretty much the same although there is usually one day where I want chocolate or ice cream very badly, so I might have one of those mini chocolate bars or a scoop of ice cream to settle my craving.

Plus I don't know if it's really wrong to eat more if your body needs it. Eating more iron rich foods is probably a good idea for every woman during TOM.
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

Again, I never said anything was really bad or wrong if someone does eat something extra or give into a craving, etc.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #11  
Don't Stop Me Now!

It's definitely a sore temptation to "justify" just letting yourself go, and I think it's really awesome to maintain plan steadfastly...all I'm saying is, at the same time, you're also facing challenges that you don't ordinarily have to factor in to your healthy lifestyle efforts, so don't give yourself too hard a time if you can't do as well in those circumstances. Don't berate the past; embrace the future!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #12  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I've always wondered . . do our bodies 'need' more during that time? Are they burning more calories? Is that part of the cravings? Or is it just hormones?

This is something I've always wondered. Anyone know?
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

I wasn't specifying what you said Onderchic, I was just saying it because I lot of ladies seem to believe that it's wrong themselves. Since we are all trying to eat well and keep ourselves under control if we fall of the boat for a day we might feel a lot of guilt, I know I have.
So I just meant it's not wrong to eat more if they feel that their body needs it. Plus bodies probably don't reeeeeally need junk food, they want something else. Like when I crave chocolate or ice cream maybe what I really want is dairy... I dunno, just a thought!
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #14  
Don't Stop Me Now!

@MeowMix - that would make sense to me, as the cravings are sometimes so odd! The PMS-phase cravings are more the traditional "mood/blues" cravings of chocolate, etc., but sometimes when you're actually on Aunt Flo, you find yourself eating the strangest things!

Also, I've always noticed that I desperately crave red meat and big salads, which I always theorized as my body trying to get more iron. Who knows the science behind it all, though!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #15  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

your metabolism actually has a slight boost in the few days before your period. it compensates for the slight overeating. i usually give in to a degree, if i want chocolate, i have a few hershey kisses. i think as long as you dont go nuts, its fine.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote