Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Problems with motivation

So, I'm working out with a trainer and watching what I eat. But I feel like I'm only semi-committed to losing this last bit of weight. I think the problem is that being overweight has never really held me back from anything in my life.
- I'm married to a great guy who thinks I look great
- I have two beautiful, smart, healthy children
- I have a master's degree
- I have a great job that pays well
- I am in excellent health

So... it's just vanity. I'm having a hard time sticking with it, since it's really hard and I'm not very competitive. I tell myself that I want to have a healthy BMI and set a good example for my children. But the reality is that I'm pretty healthy and we eat pretty healthy in our home.

Just "reaching my goal" doesn't seem to be enough.

Anyone else feel this way?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yep. Motivation's pretty low for me. What keeps me going, and sometimes it's the ONLY thing, is going back to RockinRobin's posts about the difference between commitment and motivation. I did make a commitment to a way of eating that eliminates mindless eating, reduces my alcohol intake, and focuses on good, whole foods. The commitment is resulting in a slow, steady weight loss. I know it's going to stop at some point because I'll have lost enough that my current calorie intake will become my maintenance level. Since I'm really quite happy with the way I eat now, and am certain that I can do it for the long haul, I guess I'm content to see where it leads.

That being said ... I was MOTIVATED to get into the "normal" weight category and shake off the specter of potentially life-limiting chronic diseases, even more so than to fit into a smaller size. There's just way too much evidence that being overweight will increase the probability of having serious health problems, and with the health care reform looming on the horizon ... eventually there will either be financial penalties or rationing.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

When I began, I was obese. (With your stats I think you are on the upper end of the overweight chart?) Being obese put me into a category much more likely as being diagnosed with a plethora of diseases. I have three sisters with M.S. and breast cancer. I also have two small kids. Those factors alone got me started.

As I left the obese category I decided I also should leave the overweight category as well. I feel so much better and have so much more energy now. In addition, if I am to be diagnosed with something--I will know I did EVERYTHING I could to take care of myself. My energy has increased as has my self-esteem as my weight has gone down. While all the things you say about yourself are true for me also, at the end of the day it didn't matter if I didn't feel good on the inside--about me.

I am not saying it is all about the number on the scale. I just want to be the best I can be in every way right now. I am no longer overcompensating in other areas of my life (and trying to convince anyone how great I am or about what I have) to make up for what I was really missing. In many ways, I feel very connected right now--more so than ever before--taking total responsibility for me, my life and my choices. I accept me.

I think it comes down to a personal decision about where YOU are happiest. Being strong is great for overall health. Eating well is great for overall health too. If YOU are truly happy with your appearance and how you feel and all pertinent factors concerning health (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc) and your health care provider is as well--well, I guess you have your answer.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

TBG: I do want to get into the normal category. It would be nice to see my doctor and not have him say, "I don't have to say anything about your weight, right?"

I'd also like a tummy tuck, but I will need to be at goal weight for at least one year (per the husband), before we would consider it. So, maybe that's something...
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote