Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/127/107

Height: 5'2"

Default Want to cry...

Hi everyone. I have not been here in a while. Since the last time I was here I have lost 20 pounds. yay for me! However, I have 25 to go (boo) and am stuck on a major plateau. I have not lost a pound in over 3 months. Now I am dealing with some serious stress and financial problems. I am finding it very difficult to eat well. I sure could use some advice on methods to rejump start my weight loss that don't involve spending a fortune on fresh foods. I need options that won't spoil and are cheap and easy to make.

Right now I am working very long hours and for basically zero money. I have serious debt that I am trying to pay off and with the recession my income has dropped significantly. On top of everything I am sad due to the loss of my best friend to cancer. I am hoping improving my diet will alleviate these feelings and help me get beyond the plateau.

Please help me get my motivation back and help me find solutions. What I am looking for is either a plan to follow (south beach just is too expensive with all the specialty stuff) or an excercise program that works and is short, or recipes that are easy. Anything...

Last edited by Chubby Bunnykins; 06-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Chubby Bunnykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am sorry for your loss

All I can say is your friend wouldn't want you to continue to mourn and stay in a fog- she'd want you to live your life and continue losing the weight so you can be around as long as possible for your children

I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, all I can say is you have lost 20 so far, you can do the other 25! Get back into gear
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #3  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Can you call your doctor and explain your situation and see if they can set you up with one of the cheapo generics without coming in for a an office visit? Back when I was on my Welbutrin, I think I paid 4 bucks a month on meds, and my doctor would work around financial constraints. It's just an idea.

As for the cheapo foods:

Lean gourmet is good for cheaper frozen diet meals (look in the non lean michelinas, too, because some of them are very low in calories, too), but make sure you adjust your water intake for the sodium you'll be eating.

Buy frozen vegetables. They have more nutritional value than the canned and are often quite affordable.

Look for your bargain meats.

Get dry beans and use them for entree recipes.

Have brown rice on hand. You can eat it as a side, with beans, or my favorite:

Brown your grd. turkey or beef with spices of your choice (I also use onions). Add a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and cook until rice is soft. It's SOOO yummy.

Don't use cheese (I LOOOVE CHEESE). It's expensive financially and calorically.

Throw together a vat o' chili by using canned beans, ground turkey (or go meatless), canned green chiles, and a cornucopia of spices. It's yummy, stretchable, and easy.

Oatmeal is cheap, easy, and it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Coupons. "Borrow" the Sunday edition of the paper from Starbucks and use the coupons you can use. Save your catalina coupons. Look for sales. Cook ahead and freeze things. Get whole carrots instead of baby carrots.

Here's the thing. It's doable. You just have to work harder to do it. It sucks, and it sucks energy out of you, but it's worth it. And the healthier you eat, the easier it is to deal with your depression. Exercise! Go for a walk first thing in the morning. It is the best natural "treatment" for depression. Get sunlight. Smile even if you don't want to...

I'll be thinking about you, and I will send up a prayer for you -- if that's okay with you.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #4  
ladypeanutj

S/C/G: 273/211/140

We love chicken with brown rice, celery, carrots, onions. Cheap and lasts a long time.
Another favorite of mine is chicken with cabbage soup my husband doesn't like cabbage but my son and I love this one.

I realize it is still summer but fall is starting to rear its head.

Eumie, I am totally gonna try the ground turkey with tomatoes and rice. Sounds delish.
ladypeanutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/127/107

Prayers are always welcome. Thank you

Also thank you for the ideas. It really helps a lot. I will give these a try!

Last edited by Chubby Bunnykins; 01-23-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Chubby Bunnykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i dont have any great advice. but...
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #7  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

For an exercise program that works and is short - Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. 20 minute workouts. It's rough, but as she says "if you want a 20 minute workout that will give you results, you have to work at it."
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #8  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I know exactly how you feel, as we lost my fil last month to cancer and now my dad has cancer as well-the grief and sadness really mess with your mind and it's soooo hard to stick with a plan, but it can be done. I've plateaued this summer too, because of having to travel to see fil and eating out a lot, but managed to not gain, so it's important to focus on what you have accomplished and not where you're stuck. As far as plans, I just count calories, as my family hates being restricted to certain foods (and so do I).

I have had bad reactions to antidepressants, so when I feel the downies coming on, I boost my vitamin D, calcium, and have even used St. John's Wort. Also, getting out in the sun, as someone already mentioned, really does help.

Another thing that helps is to come here and 'visit' with all the rest of us who are working toward a common goal, even through many trials. We're all here to help each other. I'll be praying for you
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #9  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Bunnykins View Post
Prayers are always welcome. Thank you

Also thank you for the ideas. It really helps a lot. I will give these a try!

Forgot to add: I have tried to get my Dr. to work with me but I always get the same line "we have to see you in the office" then they want to foist a bunch of tests and a pap smear on me. Office visit alone is $120 then add in the lab fees. ugh. So frustrating.
I'm sorry it's frustrating, and it's good that you recognize it and have been trying everything you can within your means. The next option (if you need and want the meds--I might be foisting all of this on you unwanted) is to look for a psychiatrist who works on a sliding scale. If even that doesn't work, then I would start putting 5-10 dollars per paycheck aside in a hidey place until you have the money for an appointment. You might not feel the need to go by the time you save up the money, but then you'll have that money available for getting ahead on a bill or even giving to the Cancer Society of America...
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Bunnykins View Post

Please help me get my motivation back and help me find solutions. What I am looking for is either a plan to follow (south beach just is too expensive with all the specialty stuff) or an excercise program that works and is short, or recipes that are easy. Anything...
Perhaps you can try yoga. It's a good stress relief and calming for your mind. I know for me, Bikram Yoga had the best "runner's high" that I've felt from exercising. That could really lift the depression just a little bit. Even if it's not the best weight loos work out, it's great for getting you back in the swing of things. Good luck!
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote