Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default I don't have what it takes

I'm beginning to slip. I'm on a slippery slope and allowing myself to eat things I shouldn't be eating. This can't be good and I'm afraid that if I really let myself get out of control there will be no going back. I'm usually pretty good about overeating but then waking up the next morning on the right path again. The past few days have been a complete struggle.

I've lost weight and I'm at a point where I have to drop a few more calories to continue losing weight. But I'm eating over 2000 a day for the past 3 days. What do I do now? Any advice?

I need a kick in the butt!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #2  
Meg

Nope, no kick in the butt. It sounds like your heart isn't in cutting calories back further for weight loss right now. Maybe you're eating in response to the pressure of thinking about cutting back? So instead of dropping calories, what if you decide to maintain for a while?

You probably don't need me to tell you that maintenance doesn't mean eating whatever you want to; we still have to count calories, exercise, make healthy choices etc. In essence, do everything we did to lose weight. But in maintenance, we add back a few hundred calories a day. I'm thinking that maybe those extra calories would keep you from off-plan eating and give you a little break. At times, weight loss can be mentally and physically exhausting!

Then after you've had a maintenance break and feel ready, you could go back into weight loss mode and knock off the rest of those pounds.

Whatever you decide to do, hang on for dear life to what you've lost so far! You don't want to look back a year from now and regret gaining all the weight back.

Good luck to you!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #3  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I absolutely agree with Meg. In fact, this is what I have just done.

In March this year a few things conspired to throw me off track. I turned 40, my sister was being abused by her husband, and I had a conference on the other side of the world. I was in a huge plateau and hadn't lost any weight for a couple of months. I had reduced calories, increased calories, mixed up my exercise, done everything I could think of.

I had a good hard think about it, and decided that although 189 wasn't where I wanted to be, it was a **** of a lot better than 216. I thought that I had improved my health and fitness massively from where I had started, so I would just concentrate on maintaining for now.

So I did. And 5 months later, I'm ready to lose again. I'm more focused and motivated than I was 5 months ago, and it doesn't feel like a plateau because I gave myself permission to not lose. I just didn't want to gain, and I didn't.

It worked for me. Give it a go and see if it helps you too.

Good luck.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I believe you DO have what it takes. It may be a tad MIA at the moment, but it's there. It does tend to go up and down - more often then we'd like. But you've got what it takes. We've all got the ability to do this. Yourself included. KNOW that.

I personally LOVE the 3 day method. You take 3 days. Plan the heck out of them. Really, really tight. You stick to them - no matter what. One day at a time - one hour at a time. One day down. Day two down. and then the third. And usually within that time, I'm firmly back on plan, feeling marvelous. I've got my groove back and this all seems once again not so hard. In fact, I'm relieved to be back on plan and feeling all delighted WITH that plan and with myself. 3 days. Give yourself that gift.

You could also try the reward method. After those 3 days reward yourself with a mani/pedi, a new book, a new scarf, a bouquet of flowers. Something. Make it interesting. Make it a game. Challenge yourself. Then keep on rewarding yourself - maybe every 5 lbs or so.

You may want to try revamping your menu as well. Experimenting with some different foods. Or buying some new kitchen tools/gadgets. . Keep it interesting.

I would also stop dreading this and get EXCITED about it. Get really into it and the marvelous over the top transformations that can and will occur for you when you adhere to your calorie budget. Eating responsibly, sensibly and maturely is EXCITING and wonderful. So please, don't dread it. CELEBRATE it.

Besides, eating "all that food" never, ever made me happy. Nu-uh. It never gave me peace, joy, contentment, comfort or happiness. Being on plan actually gives me those things. Yes what it provides, but just BEING on plan is a huge source of accomplishment, joy, peace and all those other things I mentioned. Who knew?

Decide what it is you want the most, the very, very most - and then go after it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-29-2009 at 07:21 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I've lost weight and I'm at a point where I have to drop a few more calories to continue losing weight. But I'm eating over 2000 a day for the past 3 days. What do I do now? Any advice?
UGH...Don't you just HATE that! It's like you are being punished for all your hard work by being restricted even further. I have never understood why this approach became so popular. I'd sure like to see any long term studies that say more people maintain their weight loss, (and better) by starting high and working their way down. Seems like torture! There has to be some scientific reason...though in my mind it was the diet industry that created it...to keep their clients with them longer...to spend more money!

Wanna be...don't be a wannabe...BE skinny. This is something that you will have to work on for the rest of your life. It never ends. The losing part is the absolute easiest part in my humble oppenion and experience. If you haven't commited to live this way forever, then maybe you don't have what it takes. Some people die fat. They never found the drive. You have 2 choices.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Sign my name to Robin's post.
Your ATTITUDE about your next steps are critical.
You are equating dropping your calories with deprivation, punishment, etc.
I think that a completely different mindset is in order -
Something like:
WOW - I have come so far that I can no longer lose weight eating those extra calories. My body is so much smaller that I need less fuel. Yeah me!!!!!

Now, how am I going to handle this life change? More exercise? Or less fuel?

Less fuel, probably. So - as was said above - what can you do to tweak your eating so that you eat fewer calories, but still really enjoy your food? New recipes and snacks really do the trick for me. By planning for those fewer calories, you really don't miss them. Planning IS the key. If you don't plan, you will eat the same old stuff, and feel deprived.

I can honestly say that I don't miss the extra calories at all. I love what I eat, I have PLENTY of food to eat, and it is absolutely delightful food.

Life is too short to not enjoy this journey - and planning is the key.

So, take Robin's advice - plan those 3 days - and stick to the plan.

You absolutely have what it takes to do this!

You've shown that you do - commitment, knowledge, planning, community, and accountability have been part of your journey thus far. Dig them out of your toolbox and put them to use. You are closer to success than you think - you DID post here for help, didn't you? You are a wise chickie indeed

Last edited by CountingDown; 08-29-2009 at 09:24 AM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

this site is so great that we can get this kind of advice from such smart, successful people.

New Yorkers never surrender (ha). Of course you have what it takes, there's a solution to any challenge you may come up against. 32 lbs gone, you know the feeling of weight loss victory. Maybe you just need a mental regrouping. Hang in there!!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm not the op, but what great advice.

rockinrobin, I like your idea of giving yourself 3 days and giving yourself a small reward. I'm definitely going to try that.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 251.5/245/200

Height: 5'3"

everyone here has had great advice.don't kick yourself in the but, you've done great .sometimes we get to this point, go reward yourself for what you've done already. but not with food.Go to the store and carry 2-10lbs of potatoe.s around in the store for a while. carry those potatoes around will let us see how much more our heart, lungs, knees,etc: are having to work.. wow, this is hard, now think,,, this is what your body has been relieved from since you've lost weight.. when you put down those potatoes down, you really should feel proud of yourself. no you go girl....wanda
wanharday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You are doing great and look what you've already accomplished! You CAN do this and we are here to cheer ya onwards to victory
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #11  

Thanks girls, it's been a struggle getting through the past few days and your posts really inspired me. I will definitely give the 3 day thing a try that rockinrobin suggested. Hey, I can do that!

I think my problem is that I'm PMSing and jet lagged all at the same time. I've been waking up at 4am everyday and that's a LOT of hours to fuel with food. This morning I woke up at a decent hour and I feel like my regular controllable self again. I'll have to dip low on my zig zagging for a couple of days to put the situation right again. Thanks for your encouraging words!

Lori Bell... I CAN do this, just you watch.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am so glad to hear (read) you're doing better
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Lori Bell... I CAN do this, just you watch.
I Absolutely cannot wait to read your goal post!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #14  

Well look at that.... I've been fussing so much about my lack of willpower this week and I've actually lost 2lbs. I can't imagine how that happened but I'll take the 2lb loss as a freebie. The next 3 days I'm going to plan the heck out of them and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 308/185/130 140kg/84kg/59kg

Height: 5'5 165cm

good for you wannabeskinny!

we all have little glitches. control it - don't let it control you!
misschloe is offline   Reply With Quote