3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/18007-21-day-challenge-making-healthy-habits-5-a.html)

Arabella 07-15-2002 08:18 AM

Day 1.

Hello Blockettes!

Yup, I'm back to Day 1 again. This is so reminiscent of how long it took to get going in the first block. But I guess if you consider that I'm taking what I did in Block 1 and adding more constraints to it, that makes sense. Hmmmm.... I'm thinking that what I will do is to post my challenge for each day in the One day challenge thread, and then count my days in here. That way I can use the other threads as a journal for the particulars. I still think that trying to get 21 days together is a good idea.

And I'm THRILLED to have overcome the binge demon (although I know that eternal vigilance will be necessary, I don't have to fight as hard) with the first block. I'm sure I didn't have a week without a binge before that for quite a while. And they just make me feel so CRUMMY :(

Upandaway, 5 POUNDS!!!! That's fantastic! Proof that continuing to work on it makes it work! Good for you!

Wildfire, congrats on the unofficial WI! You're doing fabulously!

Cindilier, I agree with my esteemed co-royals. Being straight with your friend is the only way to go -- elsewise, it sounds like you're putting both your friendship and your marriage at risk.

Time to apply nose to grindstone. Hope it doesn't get all pointy. Let's make it a good one!
xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2

Yoyo Mom 07-15-2002 09:52 AM

Getting on the new track

This second block is a little harder, but I've squeaked through the weekend. Getting in all the water is tough and it's clear I haven't been drinking enough in the past. I did sneak in two cookies yesterday, but that's not part of my block commitment (yet), so I don't have to reset. The scale was still pretty friendly this morning, but I think I will only update my numbers with mySaturday weigh-ins.

Jelynn, hang in there! Do you feel you have to give up diet coke? It may not be the healthiest drink in the world, but at least it's diet-friendly. Maybe you are trying to eliminate too much at once. Like I said, I find it easier to commit to small goals.

Cind, what a tough situation! I agree with the others that you've got to have that talk soon to clear the air and get yourself some peace. Is there anything you can do to help soften the blow and show that you are concerned about her? If no deed, then words maybe.

Upandaway... Woohooo! You go! It's so rewarding when the scale finally pays off.

Wildfire... congrats on your scale budging, too. Maybe you should "let" (i.e, make) DH cook dinner more often. Either he will improve with practice, or it will be easy to pass up seconds!

4/-5.5/2

Punkinseed 07-15-2002 11:59 AM

Hello all...

Well, I'm at day 0, won't even consider it "1" because today's my Mom's birthday and I know what's on the menu for her dinner. I am down 1 pound from last week - which given how the weekend was, it's a miracle I'm down ANYTHING.

The goal of this block is going to be meditation. I will destress before I sit down to eat. I will breathe while I eat. I will not eat standing up....

If you've seen anything about the Eyerly fire in central Oregon you know now where I live. Friday night the fire was close enough that I could see orange smoke from my kitchen at 11pm. I hopped in my car and could see flames after 5 minutes of driving. Saturday my Mom, neice and I watched the helicopters dump water on homes already on fire. All very sad, very scary and I ate my way through a 1/2 gallon of ice cream.... if I ever needed comfort food this weekend was it. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for cooler weather and sending strength and energy to the 1,000+ fire fighters working so hard.

THEN, this morning around 1am, one of my cats woke me up banging my wine rack around. I have a mouse... I also have 3 cats with all their claws (some of them have extra toes with claws no less). Silly mouse, you picked the wrong house..... When I left this morning I told my oldest kitty, Luna; "get the mousie for mommy, but don't get any blood on the carpet". I think she smiled....

Babette - Congrats on the binge :devil: battle. I feel like I'm getting a slow handle on it too. I may have found the bottom of a container of ice cream, but I did it a small cup at a time, hours apart! Hey, look for progress ANYWHERE! :p

Upandaway - WooHoooo!!! 5 pounds!!!!!! :cool:

Jelyann - It's ok, you come here to vent any time you need to. No apologies! :nono: If you can't come here to let off some stress than where can you go???

Kaylets - I'm with you. I weigh every day, sometimes more. It's a bad habit, but I figure it's better than not weighing, which for me is a sign I'm off program (my form of denial, if I don't know what I weigh then I can't gain weight).

Cindelier - I agree with Wildfire. Have a talk with her. If she's going to blow up or get all emotional over something that so obviously needs to change (no, it's not good for her to be living with you and vise-versa) than I almost wonder if it's not a sort of emotional blackmail. Like 'if I cry and get all emotional they won't make me leave'. I hope I'm wrong.... nothing is worse than having to walk on eggshells like that. Your marriage is more important at this point (jmo).

Well, off to get some work done. I'm having a great visit with my brother and neice.

Terri
259/232.5/140'ish
Day 1 tomarrow/ 1 pound/block 1 indefinately

Cindelier 07-15-2002 12:31 PM

Day 8

Good Morning all.

Wildfire, I hope your move is going smoothly. I always see how much stuff I've collected whenever I move. Congrats on the loss-I'm sure your weigh-in will confirm the good news.

Upandaway..wow, 5 lbs-that's terrific! I'm so proud of you and happy for you too.

Babette---keep going with the binge battle, you will win. I have faith in you. It's tough, but you're tougher. Remember that!

Yoyo Mom-At least it was only 2 cookies that called your name. You indulged but didn't go overboard which is great!

Pumpkinseed-Still praying that fire doesn't come closer to you. Hopefully your kitties will get that mouse today! Good luck.

As for me--I haven't talked to the roomie yet. She had her daughter all weekend and was constantly yelling or crying because/at her. She's only 4, when she says I don't love you, she doesn't even know what it means. Anyway-we upped the move out date to Aug 15. Will have to let her know tonight, at least now I know the apartment manager will allow her parents to co-sign and she won't loose the apartment.

Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me-I love my friends but they seem to go to the extreme needy end. Oh well, I help where I can and try not to be a serogate mother. This move will be good for her, she really needs time to herself for growth and my diet and husband will be better afterwards. I just wish it didn't have to hurt her too.

Happy Monday!

Cheryl

ps-I'm down a total of 19.5 lbs (this is week 5, since I started). I hope it continues this way but I know plateaus are coming.

ElaineR. 07-15-2002 01:35 PM

Hi all,

Cheryl.. I don't know the whole story.. but it sounds like you are doing the right thing... I just had a conversation with my dearest, best friend about how each of us had gotten much tougher about setting boundries. He and I have had a hard time with needy people in our lives.

Tomorrow marks the end of my 21 day compulsive eating challenge.. I am down two pounds.. and definetly feel like I am making better food choices. I plan to do another 21 day challenge.. this time making more specific changes. The first one will be WATER. To drink at least the 10 glasses daily. I always think I do, but I know I don't.

Saturday had all the earmarks of a challenge, but I decided ahead of time that I would be proactive about taking care of myself. A friend had a brother visiting from overseas.. so naturally she wanted to show him a good time.. and naturally that involves eating and drinking and staying out late.. in the past I would avoid social situations that had food/alcohol/lateness attached.. then end up binging anyway because I felt alone and isolated. I told myself I could go out and still take care of myself.. and I did! The only thing that I probably would have done against my better judgement was stay out late at a club even though I didn't want to.. thankfully.. THEY got tired and bailed. I was definetly NOT upset and very happy to be home by 10PM! I always think I have to do what everyone else is doing, and that I can't mix being social with giving myself what I need... so I isolate to avoid the food and alcohol.. then end up binging on even more food than if I had just gone out! What a mess!

Best,
Elaine

215/208/120

jelynn 07-15-2002 02:53 PM

Good Monday everyone!
Day one for me-- rearing to go again! I got up early and did my Step tape before the kids woke up-- this is a big breakthrough for me-- I always say I will when I go to bed-- then don't and then feel like it's too late for a work-out. Anyway-- felt great to be all done by 7:20!

I've also accomplished quite a bit work-wise this morning. I do a bit of merchandising/coupon set-ups in several stores around town. I got a friend to watch my boys and went out for 2.5 hours and I'm almost done with my week's work! That feels great too.

It's been so hot which is good for the appetite. It's so hard to think up meals for my family though! I made a big pasta salad and we ate that several days last week. I've got to stock up on more fruit though!

Cheryl- good luck talking with your friend- you are right though- it really is the best thing for both of you! Congrats on the *almost* 20 lbs down!! That is great!! You are right, the weight-loss will probably start slowing down, but don't get discouraged! You are working on behaviors and the scale will reward that in time.

Elaine-good job to you getting through your 21day challenge and good luck with the water-- thats something I"m working on right now too.

Terri- how scary about the fire being so close to you! I'd probably eat some ice-cream too. Sending rain vibes to Oregon!

Yoyo mom- about the diet coke- no, I'm not giving it up-- I'm really just trying to drink more water than pop. It's also a behavioral thing for me-- I just do so much better all around staying OP when I'm conscious of my water intake. The day I posted that I had had 3 44oz. diet cokes and no water at all :o

Congrats to wildfire and upandaway on the scale moving DOWN!!

Babette- hope you're having a great day (And that your nose isn't too pointy-lol) You are overcoming so much-- I hope you aren't getting discouraged. I think you are doing great and that metal monster should be rewarding you soon!!

Well, better get to cleaning etc...have a great day

Emily
1/-2/1

deleted2 07-15-2002 03:18 PM

UpandAway, yeehaw! 5 pounds gone forever! You're an inspiration.

Wildfire, how's the big move progressing. I must admit I was a little disappointed to hear that you lightened up your purple bedroom--I was visualizing this very exotic opium den-like chamber!:)

Cindelier, dealing with friends is always a little tricky--being a human being is a great challenge! Just stand in your own truth and don't be intimidated. And a big woo-hoo for losing almost 20 pounds in 5 weeks!:D

Punkinseed, very scary picture you painted in your post about the fire :( ---is their any rain, any relief in sight? I noticed you have a cat named Luna. I used to ; when we moved [10 years ago] she disappeared and I miss her still. She was such a little amazon of a cat that I vowed that I'd try to be more like her!

Greetings to everyone else!

Had the surgery this morning and it went well. It was my first surgery and my one fear was that when I was "under" I'd shame myself by saying something really vulgar. See, I don't drink or smoke but I swear like a sailor. And sure enough, I told a dirty joke to the OR as I was coming out of it--seemed like a good idea at the time! Oh well....something for them to talk about over dinner tonite! Don't know what kind of aerobic activity I can do besides sit in a chair and flap my arms like a crazy chicken, but I'm willing to do that to keep my heart rate up!!!

LOVE TO ALL! ~~~Eydie

Punkinseed 07-15-2002 05:58 PM

Eydie - Yea, I have a Luna kitty (she's 1) and her sisters from 2 other back-to-back litters are Stella and Maia (my moon, star and earth). I'm hoping they had a mousie treat today...
I can also relate on the anesthetic cursing. I also can swear like a sailor when deemed necessary - I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 14 and woke up saying God d#$& it and told my Dad my face f#(8in' hurt. :eek: He just laughed thankfully!

No rain forcasted for us, but it's a "cooler" 93 today and still. I can tell the wind's died down because it's become VERY smokey around here! Cough, choke, gasp....

Kaylets 07-16-2002 06:56 AM

Tuesday am

Hello all!!
Isn't it crazy how Monday's are either just to-the-wall crazy or not??
Short story- Mine was crazy and was only royal in one respect!! You know what I mean!!

It started to go the other way when on the way home, I popped in one of the those cassettes I mentioned. I knew it was Eric Clapton but hadnt read the song titles. A song was just ending, there was that long pause and then, Queen Babette, are you listening>>>>>>>>>LAYLA<<<<<<<< the original-- The LONG VERSION-- I had forgotten how great the piano solo was-- A gift for perseverance during a horrid Monday--

Queen Elaine-- GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You're right !! Planning always makes a difference-- and congrats on making it thru your block-- You crown is getting very twinkly!

Queen Jelynn-- You're soooo right!! Early mornings can be so motivating--- and the best part is, no matter what else happens during the day, what was done early is still done.
I personally would rather excercise in the am and use the boost thru out the day-- Lots of times, excercising at night keeps me awake.

Queen Terri--I am awarding a NO GUILT card. Fires are so so scary-- NO GUILT-

Queen Cheryl-- I wonder if you're friend is as unhappy as you are- she sure doesnt sound happy- The only advise I can offer is to stay honest-- Kind but honest-- I would tell her that you must move for the sake of your marriage. A new marriage has trouble sorting itself out when there are only the two partners in one house. Keep us posted!

Queen Upandaway and Queen Wildfire-- GOOD GOING!!
Got any tips to share??

Queen everyone else, keep up the good work! My boss loves Bob the Builder -- " Can we make this challenge??"
All together now " YES WE CAN!!""

or, if Bob doesnt appeal to you-- Have you seen the car commercial with Tony Bennet singing " The best is yet to come and baby, won't it be FINE" ---

Now, I did warn you, I have very eclectic music tastes

upandaway 07-16-2002 09:59 AM

Third times a charm, I hope

I wrote a loongg post yesterday, got bumped just as I hit submit, couldn't get back on. Did the same thing just now, wrote to everybody on the thread, thanks so much for the congrats and warm wishes, same thing--bumped AGAIN! :mad:

I feel like I need to hurry hurry and get this posted before I'm bumped again! Forgive me for not addressing you all personally, again! Thanks so much for being here, Blockettes!

upandaway
9/9/2

Cindelier 07-16-2002 12:15 PM

Back to day 1

Day one. Water/Exercise changes. Was able to keep the exercise, but dropped the water of all things! Oh well, I have joke here--some of you may have heard. I thought it was funny:

A fellow was ordered by his doctor to lose 75 lbs. due to very serious health risks. As he wondered how in the heck he would ever do it, he ran across an ad in the newspaper for a GUARANTEED WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM.

"Guaranteed. Yeah right!" he thought to himself. But desperate, he calls them up and subscribes to the 3-day/10 pound weight loss program.

The next day there's a knock at his door, and when he answers, there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck. She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me." Without a second thought he takes off
after her.

A few miles later, huffing and puffing, he finally catches her and has his way with her. After they are through and she leaves, he thinks to himself, "I like the way this company does business!" The same girl shows up for the next two days and the same thing happens. On the fourth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lbs. as promised. He calls the company and orders their 5-day/20 pound program.

The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life, wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me, you can have me." He's out the door after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and it takes him a while to catch her, but when he does, it is worth every cramp and wheeze. For the next four days, the same routine happens and much to his delight, on the fifth day he
weighs himself and found he has lost another 20 lbs. as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50 pound program. "Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program."

"Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years." The next day there's a knock at the door and when he opens it he finds a 25 year old male standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "If I catch you, I can have you."

:lol: Hope you liked it. Have a great day. Pumpkinseed-how are you doing near the blaze? Has the mouse been caught?

Everyone else, wishing you strength, hope and happiness (oh and laughter of course!).

Cind

ElaineR. 07-16-2002 01:36 PM

Hi all,

since today is the last day of my first 21 Day challenge.. I wrote a long post about my 21 days.. then the computer crashed! Geeeze.. that seems to happen alot with this program. I don't have time to re-write it.

I'll have to write again later.

Elaine
NYC

deleted2 07-16-2002 03:08 PM

Cindelier, GOOD ONE! Haw!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel great after my surgery. No pain to speak of, just feel a bit bruise-y. Saw the doc this morning and he said I could get back to working out as long as it doesn't hurt. Hooray! :D
The only thing that's giving me pause is he thought it was a ganglion cyst but it turns out to be something else and he doesn't know what, so 'the mass' was sent to pathology and he'll call when he finds out what it was. So the suspense of that is hard for me---actually got a little weepy this morning but that's probably the aftershocks of the surgery. Trying to think positive and keep those worst case scenarios out of my head, cause for all purposes I feel really good!:)

Punkinseed 07-16-2002 03:19 PM

Hellooooo from Smoke-ville!

It's like L.A. here in central Oregon... all brown/orange and hazy.... The fire's still burning but close to 50% contained. Now we have the Geneva 2 fire burning south of us, but they (the news) say we're not at threat and they should be able to get a handle on it soon. Everyone else around here takes this stuff in stride - guess I have a lot still to learn about being an Oregonian.
I'm a little peeved at the people on the Warm Springs Indian reservation. I guess they knew about the fire long before anyone else and tried to control it themselves (they always set fires on the reservation to get more land use). Well, they lost control of the fire THEN told people it was even there. The 18 people that lost their homes should sue....

Kaylets - Thank you for absolving me of my 1/2 gallon of guilt. ;)
I sing that Tony Bennet song to my cat Luna! She likes to be held like a baby (only if the other cats aren't looking - she's a "big girl" and can't be seen receiving affection!) and I pick her up, hold her like a little baby and sing that to her when I'm feeling happy. She looks at me like I've lost my mind.... well, maybe????

Upandway - I know your pain... I get bumped all the time, to the extent that I've taken to right clicking and copying my posts before I click "send" because they either disappear or I get da' boot!

Cindelier - Nope, no mousies. I haven't even seen any sign so I almost wonder if the mouse left after it saw 3 eager felines watching its' every move. I am also afraid that as soon as I think the mouse is finally gone *that's* when I'll be rewarded with a loving gift of a head, tail or foot placed lovingly on my bed while I'm sleeping. See, all my girls bring me their toys in the middle of the night and I just shove them under the pillow so they'll leave me alone.... so should I be brought something at 2am... *shudder*

Well, I'm off to get some work done!

Terri :moo:

Kaylets 07-17-2002 06:52 AM

Tuesday am

Greetings all!!!!

It was wonderful finding that joke yesterday as I "lurked" at lunch time-- I even called my husband and read it out loud to him- It made his day too!!!

What I have started doing to "save" my posts is to write it somewhere else ( word or my email) and then bring it over-- I don't know if we time out or what but I am not going to let it get the best of me!!

Eydie- Waiting can be so awful- I know- Its hard keeping yourself busy enough not to wonder--

I am off to the races again -- trying to start pumping the water now as it seems as soon as the pace picks up at work, the bottle just sits there. I am processing " real " work now and know I am being "extra cautious" because I'm not familiar but meanwhile, I need to remember the priority!!

Went to my regular "No appt needed" hairdresser last night and found new management, price increase and a new set rules about "no coloring 2hrs before closing". They told me this was always the rule- I told them I didnt think so. They told me, we'll only be able to give you the cut, I told them I don't think so. They told me, its because we're understaffed, I told them I understood.
They said again, we'll only be able to give you the haircut, I told them again I understood and walked out. Time to find another place. There was one hairdresser that remembered me but just looked and didnt say anything. I am sure when I left she said to the others," that lady is a real good tipper. " Thats ok, I 'll get the same reputation at the new place.

So, I guess we'll replay Tony some more this morning--

"The best is yet to come and baby, WON"T IT BE FINE>>>>>"