Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 05:16 PM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Post EVERYBODY/10 Myths About Weight?

Just for fun and to clarify our brains, could everyone on the board (if they so desire, of course) please be so kind as to post what in their opinion are 10 myths about weight issues ... even if they think it goes against what anyone else in the world thinks, including "experts" or ANYONE.

Although I realize I have a habit of giving advice on just EVERYTHING, I promise I shall not come back here and comment on anyone's ideas. I think it'd be cool if we just posted our lists without thinking that anyone else is going to give feedback. The idea is just to say what we think without worry that someone is going to disagree or on the other hand, agree.

I think we have a lot of collective wisdom on this board and I think it'd be fun to share what we think.

My Personal Opinion as to What Constitutes 10 Myths About Weight Issues:

Myth One: Diets don't work. They do. "Diet" is just a word for an eating plan, but the "diets don't work" mentality corps has changed that to mean a short-termed plan for reducing weight by rigid conformity to a low calorie or other type of program. I think healthy, controlled eating and moderate calorie reduction over a long period of time in conjunction with moderate exercise under a health professional's supervision doeswork to control or reduce weight.

Myth Two: Size 10 is a plus-size. Grrrr. This is another media, fitness-board myth that makes my teeth stand on edge. This is part of the related (remember this is just my opinion) myth that manufacturers now universally rush to put smaller size labels on their clothing than they did in the 1950s and that if Marilyn Monroe was a 12 in the 1950s, she'd be a zero or something today. There is some truth that sizing has changed, but it is so non-uniform that generalizations just make me nuts. A size 10 is gorgeous, so's a 12, so's a 14, 16 or whatever. Going in the other direction is just as good. Clothing size just doesn't matter, it's having a healthy body that matters.

Myth Three: That said, I really wonder about size zero ... that's my third myth ... that anyone is really a size zero, even if the label says so. I mean if you are a size zero, wouldn't that mean that you don't exist? Where do your organs go? Where's the skin, the bones, the face, the hair, the voice, the soul? Where would you keep it all?

Myth Four: Pear-shaped is not desirable ... that's really wrong in my opinion. I love my pear shape. There is a journalist (forget her name) who writes about weight issues. In one of her books she talks about how being a pear shaped saved her from an attacker ... her low center of gravity allowed her to lie down and get some good kicks in. Other shapes are good, too, but don't tell me to get rid of my pear!

Myth Five: Most people who lose a large amount of weight gain it back. Research doesn't (IMO) bear this out and it's a dumb, discouraging message for anyone who suffers from true obesity. There are many studies of groups of people who lose weight through diet and exercise and maintain that loss (with some fluctuations, such as my unfortunate recent lapse) for more than five or 10 years.

Myth Six: Obesity is a complex problem and the outlook is very poor. In my opinion, although yes it is complex, by far the largest population of people who are medically overweight or obese can lose weight and keep it off long term (with medical supervision).

Myth Seven: It's healthier to choose to stay obese than to keep trying to lose. Everyone's case is different, but in talking about true obesity (not just a few pounds), unless one takes it so seriously they're ready to commit suicide over "dieting" I think it's better to get the weight off. It's just my opinion, but lots of medical studies show that reducing excess weight even a little reduces lots of health risks that are prevalent in our society.

Myth Eight: That said, I think another myth is that heavy people are not beautiful people. They are and while it's fun to lose and wear smaller jeans or whatever, many people actually look better with more weight. Look at the plus-size model Emme (hate that plus-size word, but that's how they describe her). Could anyone be more gorgeous than that woman?

Myth Nine: All thin people suffer from eating disorders and are unhealthy and hurt the eye to look at and starve themselves. Lots of people are thin by nature and eat like horses. They are beautiful and healthy, but I don't want to be them.

Myth Ten: People who tell you they wear a size 2 are always telling the truth.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:57 PM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

Oh Crone, you're the bestest! It may take me awhile, but I've got to start now with my biggest, uglies pet peeve of a myth:

Myth One: "Muscle weighs more than fat"
No it doesn't... take a pound of muscle and a pound of fat and put them on a scale. they both weigh one pound!!!!!! A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat (a lot less), but sorry folks, a pound is a pound is a pound regardless if it's fat, muscle, lead or feathers....

Myth Two: "Skinny = Healthy"
Heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc. are all invisible. Look how healthy Darryl Kile looked (the 33 year old baseball player who just died in his sleep this weekend).

Myth Three: "Electrocute yourself into great looking abs"
Uh, no. Do I really need to even go into this?? The amount of electricity you'd need to really "work" your muscles would be unbearable. Save yourself the money.

Myth Four: "Any diet that claims you can loose 10 pounds in 48 hours"
Yea, if you drank nothing but flavored laxatives for 2 days you'd loose 10 pounds - but would you really want to lose weight that way? Besides, as soon as you eat again it's going to come right back in the form of fluid, food, waste, etc.... Dangerous stuff.

Ok, that's all I can think of right now.... sorry if some of this seems sarcastic, but I'm soooooo sick of the industry (name any ol' industry) taking advantage of people, feeding off of desperation. It just frosts my cookies.

Terri
Old 06-26-2002, 07:51 AM   #3  
Happy Member

Default Myths?

One of the biggest myths about weight loss is that senior citizens can't lose weight. That is a myth!

It is undoubtedly true that the metabolism slows down for the seniors and it is easier to lose the weight while you are a youngster, but saying "I'm too old to lose weight" is just a whiny cop-out and a bad excuse.

I lost over 45 lbs. while I was 73-74, and I've kept it off for a year and a half. So there, too!!!

Thanks, Crone, for starting this thread. You obviously pushed one of my buttons. I liked all the other myths posted, hope more come in.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #4  

Where oh where has Crone gone??? I tried to message her and she is no longer a valid user....??? Plus have you noticed when the thread says it was started by crone.....her name is nowhere on the threads now.....what is up with this???? I hope she is ok!!!

As for myths.....I will have to think on this one for a bit.....but I agree with a couple I saw above.....to me.....skinny doesnt equal healthy.....I have seen skinny people who look like they are knocking on deaths door.......
I also dont figure where they come up with a size ZERO....you have to be something.....LOL....
I will get my list together later or tomorrow and post away noww that I am back on the boards....LisaL
Old 07-10-2002, 11:37 PM   #5  
Domestic Engineer

Hey Lisa-
Crone has changed her user name to Amarantha- just early this week I believe. Check out the 21 day challenge thread-- she just posted this morning that she was going to take a break .

See you on the challenge thread!

Emily
Closed Thread