Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/155/115

Height: 5'6"

Wink how long to lose 40lbs low carbing?

I just started somersizing last monday and have lost 5lbs so far with 40 lbs to go. Does anyone know how long this should take on a low carb diet?
manokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi, manokat!

I'm familiar with Somersizing, and there is no way to estimate how long weight loss will take with that program. Even if one could estimate, that's just an educated guess.

Also, it's not exactly a "low carb program," as I understand the term. Isn't it a food combining plan? Maybe I'm thinking of an older plan.

But stay with it and see! I will say that it's likely your weight will not change as fast from here on as it has done in the first week, so don't expect to lose another 5 pounds this week.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-13-2009 at 06:33 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #3  

Thanks JayEll. I guess somersizing is could be described as a low carb food combining plan. We are allowed carbs but only whole grains. Its a pretty easy way to lose weight cause you aren't restricted as far as portions go. I just eat till full...some days i eat more than others! Congrats on the 50 lbs you don't have far to go to reach your goal!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey again! Thanks! I'm still workin' on it!

It is not "low carb" just because you eat whole grains. "Low carb" means that you ARE restricted in how much carbohydrate you can eat.

Enjoy! I liked Somersizing when I was doing it, but I wasn't doing it to lose weight at the time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'm not really familiar with Somersizing....but....I've been doing Atkins for 5+ years now. On Atkins, I eat no potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, white flour, sugar....I limit my fruit to berries & usually only eat them as an occasional treat in the Summer. I lost 50 lbs in about 4 months. I had a lot of weight to lose and I adhered strictly to the plan....still do.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think it's really hard for anyone to predict how quickly you will lose a certain amount of weight. It doesn't just depend on the plan you're doing.

It depends on your starting weight and goal (weight loss slows as we approach goals, usually) and whether that goal is a reasonable weight for us.

It depends on what kind of exercise you do, and the intensity with which you do it.

It depends on your body, and how it responds.

It depends on how well you adhere to the plan.

It depends on so much, that it would be hard to predict.

But don't just think about getting TO goal, think about staying AT goal. Maintaining your weight. If you are just 'low-carbing' to lose a lot of weight, and then go back to your old habits, you will gain it back. I would advise you think more long-term and consider what will work for you long term. Jerseygyrl just posted that she DID adhere to her plan while losing and STILL does. That's what success is like.

So, as you go through this, think about the long term.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #7  

Don't be in such a rush. Safe weight loss is no more than 1-2 pounds a week. It takes time to form new habits and made a new style of eating second nature. You are definitely not doing low carb with Sommersizing.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #8  

I guess you are all right as far as somersizing not being low carb. It certainly feels like it to me since I've cut out all the sweets and treats I like though.
Thanks for the support.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I know what you mean manokat! When you cut your carb intake by 3/4 or more it certainly does feel like a lower carb lifestyle! I'm counting calories and It took me since New Years to lose the last 40 pounds. I'm not on a low carb plan, but compared to the bags of chips and loaves of white bread and mounds of candy and potatoes I ate to reach 333 pound I "FEEL" like I'm eating a low carb diet. Hang in there. My SIL lost around 50 pounds using Somers diet principles and has kept it off for around 10 years.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote