Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #1  

Default Mental Problems with Liposuction

If your like me then you have a **** of a hard time loosing weight. I don't have the time to exercise and I like the taste food. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I know to lose weight is a great accomplishment and nothing seems to feel any better. Does any one have any regrets after getting liposuction where you wish you worked for it instead of paying for it. Ive been consulting eith Dr Stephen Greenberg and am unsure which route to go.
crunchwrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I'm pretty sure if you don't change your habits any fat that is taken out due to liposuction you will just gain back in no time!!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Liposuction is really if you are at a good weight but want to contour your body. Its not really for the purpose of losing fat. Also, I've read a lot of horror stories with liposuction but that was a few years ago.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

well, i was seriously considering liposuction before I joined Metabolic research the lose weight...i even went in for a consultation...personally, i still want it....the thing with liposuction is, they can only remove up to 6-8 pounds of fat in one session at the MOST, per federal regulations...it is therefore NOT a tool to lose weight with, and really only has good results for people with "smaller" amounts of fat in trouble spots....the person above mentioned, it is designed for body CONTOURING, to remove stubborn, troublesome fat from areas of the body..the fat loss IS however permanent. When we gain weight, normally it is merely the fat cells increasing in SIZE, not increasing the number of fat cells....when the fat cellls are removed, they DONT grow back. If you go and gain weight after the procedure, you are likely going to gain weight in an area OTHER than where you had liposuction, UNLESS you gain an extraordinary amount of weight, then some of it may come back...If you ARE a good candidate for lipo, i dont believe there is ANYTHING wrong with doing something for yourself that will make you happy though--IF you can afford it!!! good luck
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't do it- I had liposuction years ago and it did NOT work. The doctor I had was terrible even though he was recommended. Instead of telling me "honey you need to lose weight" he said he could make me thin and I believed him. I not only lost nothing I am currently 30 lbs heavier then when I had the surgery (I had been about 50-55 heavier but have lost weight). It left me with sagging skin and still at the same weight- it didn't teach me a thing. I spent all that money for nothing. Now I have a dent on one leg as a constant reminder and I HATE IT Sure he told me come back and he'd fix it- but no way! I learned my lesson once! If I get down to the weight I want to be then I will look into getting excess skin removed but this time I'm going to a better surgeon...

I'd say if you have more than 10 lbs to lose it's not for you- you won't lose weight- it'll just cut out some fat from the areas around your body. It's good for people who have problem spots IMO- not if you are overweight or obese.

Last edited by beerab; 06-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #6  
Operator265

If I ever get up the nerve to get surgery w/o a medical need, I would have it done under my chin. I already know it is a spot that I have no other recourse for. That is the real purpose of liposuction. I had the "turkey waddle" when I was so tight and right I could stand myself up on the ski slope my first time out. My grandma and mom both had it. There is no amount of exercise and healthy eating that will correct it.

Lipo should really only be done once you are at your goal to shape the areas that can't be taken care of by nature.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, lipo WILL suck out the fat. For sure. But as a weight-loss technique, you'll just regain weight. Only in weirdo places as your preferred places (where the fat cells WERE) won't store the fat there as easily. You might want to read this:
http://plasticsurgery.about.com/u/ua...ghtgain_UA.htm
I'll tell you, though, if lipo was a permanent solution for me, I'd have been there years ago...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchwrap View Post
If your like me then you have a **** of a hard time loosing weight. I don't have the time to exercise and I like the taste food.
When you want something badly ENOUGH and you make it a top priority, suddenly one FINDS the time to do whatever that task may be. I too LOVE the taste of food. LOVE it. Love it. LOVE IT! I've just switched my tastes around, by switching my food around - now the foods that I eat taste fabulous - but they are healthy and lower calorie. You just have to be WILLING to make these changes and once you do - losing weight isn't quite as difficult. It's all what you make of it.

I was always under the impression that liposuction was a last resort for those last bits of stubborn fat leftover after undergoing a "traditional" weight loss program, not AS THE weight loss program. I mean there's only so much fat lipo can remove. Besides, if you're not willing to change your eating/exercising program, then it seems to me that it would be an extremely temporary (non) solution.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #9  
ImseVimse

S/C/G: 222/217.9/160

Height: 5'10

If you're overwieght I'd recommend against it. I saw one of those make over shows on TV where a woman had lipo. She was overweight and the end result didn't look natural because there was so much weight in other places.
Imse Vimse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Did anyone mention that liposuction can be dangerous? That fat isn't just dead in there, it's living tissue full of blood vessels and is connected to other tissues. People have been known to die from this surgery, or from infection following it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchwrap
I don't have the time to exercise and I like the taste food.
Everyone likes the taste of food, crunchwrap. And those of us who have been successful haven't done so by restricting ourselves to tasteless food we don't like. Now, if by "food" you mean fast food, then you may find your taste will change once you start eating in a more healthy way.

As for the exercise, I also used to think I didn't have time. But everyone has exactly the same amount of time! It's a matter of making priorities, as rockinrobin said. Once I decided I would make the time for exercise, the time was there, just like magic!

So I'd say, try losing in a safe, healthy way and forget about the lipo.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #11  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the ladies above me. It's a copout and if you're not willing to change your eating habits after you've had the procedure (a dangerous one) then why waste money because what they take out will come back.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Lipo is really best for solving a specific problem - like your body is at your ideal weight but you still have saddlebags, love handles or a pouchy tummy that is out of proportion with the rest of you. My very thin mother had lipo to remove an isolated area of fat right at her tummy and she's been absolutely thrilled with the results. It really doesn't sound like the right solution for more general weight loss.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchwrap View Post
where you wish you worked for it instead of paying for it. Ive been consulting eith Dr Stephen Greenberg and am unsure which route to go.
I'm no expert on Lipo, I've never had it, but my sister did a few years ago and let me tell you, she just left after a 3 day visit, and LIPO did NOT take away anything permanently. Poor thing. Her Lipo "area" is as big as a barn. This time around she is working for it.

I'm pretty sure that if there was a procedure that took away fat forever and we didn't have to work for it, and we went in and came out thin and beautiful there would be no fat people. Actually sounds like something from a sci-fi movie...

Aliens come and beam us up and suck out our fat to fuel their space ships and insert a chip that makes us never gain weight again no matter how much we LOVE and eat junk food...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I looked at your other post here and on that one you asked if it's possible to lose 10 pounds in 10 days. You clearly are looking for a magic answer to a problem that has none. If you don't like to exercise or eat less, then I'm afraid you're going to have to live with your body as it is.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post

I'm pretty sure that if there was a procedure that took away fat forever and we didn't have to work for it, and we went in and came out thin and beautiful there would be no fat people.
And you know for sure Oprah would have been all over that puppy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote