Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Take it from one of the queens of dieting

I was reading other members posts when giving advice and i noticed that when people ask why they binge eat most people say eat more protein. I have to completely agree. I used to binge eat to the max. I have gone 6 days without binge eating because I eat protein with every meal. Water is very important!!! Its also a mind game. You have to stop thinking about food. I know food is amazing and delicious but it doesnt help thinking about your favorite fattening foods that you just cant have. its tourture. I have to talk myself out of it everyday. It sucks to not be able to have that cake that the skinny girl in your office eats, but there were plenty of times weve had that cake right? We wouldnt be here if we didnt.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #2  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

One of the things that helped me tremendously was consciously counting my protein and increasing it. It sounds like you have the right mind set-keep it up!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

And one of the things that has helped me, is not saying that I can't have my favorite fattening, calorie laden foods, but rather saying that I no longer WANT them. I choose not to have them. It takes the power away from the food and lands it in my lap. My choice. My doing.

Sure "those foods" taste good, but it's over in a matter of minutes and then I'm stuck feeling like garbage and having added weight on me. No thank you. I'm done with "that stuff". It's a choice. That has been tremendous for me. Realizing that I can have it, but deciding that I won't. I no longer care to be the gal who eats what she wants when she wants and doesn't give much thought to the consequences.

And we have no idea what the "skinny girl" is eating besides that cake. Maybe she's one of those who eats a piece of cake and nothing else more for the rest of the day.

YEs, sometimes we have to talk ourselves out of many things, many times over the course of the day. But that will get easier too. Before you know it, "that stuff" won't call out to you in the same way that it does now. Soon you're going to be feeling and looking so amazing, that you will gladly keep on passing up on "that stuff".

Oh and believe it or not - there's plenty of DELICIOUS foods to be had that is healthy, nutritious and will fit in perfectly with your new "lifestyle". They will eventually become your "favorites". Give it time.

I'm glad you've discovered protein! Good stuff. Keep up the great work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

One of the things that helps me avoid binge eating, which I am easily prone to, is to look at that cake and break down what exactly it is that's in it. Fat, sugar, artificial this and that. I than ask, do I REALLY want to put that in my body!
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #5  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I have the same reaction to what I eat. The more protein I eat the fewer cravings I have. Any of you seen this clip about fat storage? I really thought it was informative. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlI...eature=related
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

hmm maybe I should try eating more protein. My diet has become sort of vegetarian by accident, maybe it's lacking. I do still binge sometimes. Now I'm trying not to bring junk food into the house (but I still buy it outside of the house lol). But I can binge on healthy food too!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrobin
Realizing that I can have it, but deciding that I won't
THIS. 100%.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

at Barnes and Noble cafes they list the calories of everything in the glass case now. I compare that to the amount of time on a treadmill or other machine, and it's much easier to just get coffee. Yikes.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
And one of the things that has helped me, is not saying that I can't have my favorite fattening, calorie laden foods, but rather saying that I no longer WANT them. I choose not to have them. It takes the power away from the food and lands it in my lap. My choice. My doing.
Ditto. 100%. I realized I had to stop all my whining and complaining and really embrace that I was making the choice. I WANT to eat this way.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #10  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

I'd never read the correlation between protein and feeling full, but had thought I had felt a little fuller, longer when eating a meal higher in proteins.

I do fine all day with not feeling hungry, but find myself wanting to graze late at night (as I get into bed). Maybe instead of grabbing fruit, I'll try a handful of almonds when I get those late-night munchies...

Cheers!
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #11  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Actually when I binge, I usually binge ON protein. That definitely happens when I don't get enough regularly, and I have higher than normal protein needs and always have even as a kid, (I would rather have had another pork chop than dessert when I was little and I am still the same way). BAD = I will go to the store and get a bag of pepperoni, or a pack of lunch meat and chow down till I am sick if I let myself. Now when I feel that coming on I go eat a can of tuna instead or grill a couple chicken breasts. That stuff I don't feel guilty for overeating occasionally because I know I need it.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/see signature line/140

Height: 5'3

This is an interesting thread. Thanks for the pointers. I might need to start incorporating more protein in my diet. At this stage (just starting) it's difficult not to think about food all the time!
zaarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Kootch - late night grazing is my weakness too. It's relatively easier to be careful about eating during the day with the distraction of work but at night it seems so much harder.

I read the original post yesterday and decided to have a protein snack last night a few hours after dinner and it seems to chase away the bored munchies and carb cravings - thanks for the helpful tip!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I'm really glad for those of you that this post helped! I figured I would share my experience to help others. I also found these seasoning packets. I use for my chicken because I dont normally eat red meat and I dont eat pork. Some are by mccormick and some are by weber. I bought mine at walmart for $0.79. You marinate the chicken for I think a half hr and then i grill mine on my george foreman. Omg it is so good. Last night I made the one with white wine and garlic. You add water and EVOO to it. It taste like italian dressing. Yum. When I think of some more helpful tips ill be back
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #15  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I had a two egg veggie packed omelet this morning with a slice of whole wheat toast.

I feel uncomfortably full.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote