Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/185/120

Height: 5'4"

Default goodbye french fries

this is my quest to cut french fries completely out of my life.

i'm a vegan, and unlike all the other vegans in the world- instead of eating blackberries and raw broccoli all day- i search for all the disgusting little tricks to avoid healthy eating.

french fries = evil.

i've never been much of a french fry kind of a gal, but once i gave myself to the vegan ways - french fries have been an absolute must for my daily intake.

and they're not even 100% vegan! they're deep fried in the same oil used to cook chicken wings and fried shrimp!

so my first mini goal would be the complete elimination of french fries.

seriously come on, i can do this- right?
lavieenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/128/115

Height: 5'8"

yeah,definitely think you are on the right track...I am a vegan for some time,and i have never liked french fries,even though i used to eat them...But when you see how many calories are there,well,i definitely think of all the other things i can eat instead!
tenderbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

definitely one of the more evil foods for weight loss. it's hard to find a good healthy substitute for them!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Vegan or Carnivore, french fries $uck for weight loss. I LOVE them, but I haven't had one in over a year. The poor potato has been turned into junk food, when all by itself, it's a super food. (If you are not carb intolerant etc.)
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think it's very vital to recognize which foods in your life are holding you back from weight loss and therefore optimal health. And you've done that. For me, definite NO's were/are a definite MUST. It takes the decision making process away - should I?, shouldn't I? Maybe just this one? No that just doesn't work. Definite no's are not restrictive to me - they're FREEING.

I got this wonderful alternative right here at 3FC from Kaplods, though her recipe is a tad different.They are marvelous and a great alternative to potatoes. Though, sadly enough, you won't find them in any restaurant.

TURNIP FRIES

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Peel turnips and cut into strips to resemble shoe string potatoes. Sometimes I even use a crinkle cutter and they really resemble french fries. Make a LOT. They’re absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!

Spray a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil with lots of non-stick cooking spray. Lay the “fries” on the foil. Spray further with cooking spray - lots.

Season heavily with spices of your choice. French fry seasoning. Garlic and onion powders, salt & pepper. Chili powder, garlic and onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper.

Bake for about 20 minutes and turn. Bake another 10 minutes or so.

Experiment. See if you like them very soft or a little firmer. Adjust cooking times accordingly.

35 calories per cup serving.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

TURNIP FRIES

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Peel turnips and cut into strips to resemble shoe string potatoes. Sometimes I even use a crinkle cutter and they really resemble french fries. Make a LOT. They’re absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!

Hummm...sounds AWESOME! I love turnips. I need to get some turnip seeds for the garden today! So, in my experiance the more you cook a turnip the softer it gets...they will get crisp with the cooking spray?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
So, in my experiance the more you cook a turnip the softer it gets...they will get crisp with the cooking spray?
Lori, they don't get really crispy like a french fry. But you can leave them a little firmer where they still have a bit of a "bite" to them. I like them a bit softer though. That's why I said you need to experiment.

They are EXCELLENT! I make a huge tray of them each time and they get eaten quicklyl. The whole family LOVES them.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #8  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

McDonald's fries are made from a meat source, and their bacon bits are made from a veggie source...weird.
Hope that helps!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Welcome!! We have a vegetarian forum here at 3FC which I recommend
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121

There are definitely junk food vegans in the world so you aren't alone.

I would recommend at looking at making homemade oven fries. Turnip fries are a good option but there are even other good options like sweet potato fries and beet fries.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post

I would recommend at looking at making homemade oven fries. Turnip fries are a good option but there are even other good options like sweet potato fries and beet fries.
Beet fries. What a great idea.

And yes, the turnips, sweet potatoes, and beets are all great alternatives, but they are definitely not identical to the genuine article But that's okay. I eliminated soooo many foods from my diet, when I overhauled the way that I was eating. I eliminated many - but added in more. That was the key. Finding excellent, tasty and delicious, though different foods to eat. Excellent, tasty, delicious HEALTHY ones that is.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #11  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I love sweet potato fries so much, I have to limit how often we make them, because they are a definite indulgence food for me In fact, I'd far rather eat sweet potato fries than regular french fries anymore; I just don't like the taste of the regular fries, in comparison. So bland! So nutritionally void!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I seem to have eliminated a lot of foods without actually giving them up forever. I just kept deciding "not right now" for so long that now I don't want them anymore, or at least find them pretty easy to resist.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #13  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

My grocery store sells sweet potato fries in the frozen section. I haven't looked at the calorie content, but they are there.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/185/120

Height: 5'4"

thanks y'all for the bunch of french fry alternatives!

i'll definitely be trying those recipes asap

i'll probably wait a good month before i try them-- as a little celebration for being french fry free for one month.

=)

sweet potato fries sound so good!
lavieenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Vegan or Carnivore, french fries $uck for weight loss. I LOVE them, but I haven't had one in over a year. The poor potato has been turned into junk food, when all by itself, it's a super food. (If you are not carb intolerant etc.)

you are right, potatoes with the skin pack alot of vitamin C! sometimes having a small baked(microwaved) potato with the skin helps curb the craving for french fries.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote