Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Ever feel like this.....

I am making an early dinner for my 18 year old son and I so I put my sweet potato, brussel sprouts and a white potato in the oven to cook. My son wanted burgers with his potato and veggies so I am frying up the last of the beef burgers and was going to have a bunless one for myself and give him the other 2.

Then as I was reading 3FC I started listening to the sounds of the grease cooking in the pan and it completely turned me off having a burger. Just the sound of fat cooking grossed me out. Now all I want is my veggies for dinner.

Has anyone ever felt this way while making dinner?
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Not while cooking dinner, but definitely while driving past a KFC (aka "the Dirty Bird" hahaha!) or by a Mary Browns Chicken place. The smell of grease is overwhelming and nauseating to me...but sounds haven't got to me yet. Hopefully this is just related to the burgers and not all sauteed foods...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

i have felt this many many times..both driving past fast food places, and also when cooking for myself/husband..i cant stand grease or anything of the sort..my mother in law loves to cook things in oil and what not..blech! ((luckily we dont live with her anymore)).
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yes, been there - with ground beef. Unfortunately, I am still very weak when it comes to sound/smell of bacon ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #5  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

unfortunately no, the fattier and greasier the better! I'm still hoping that someday that will come and I'll just want all the healthy stuff, lol!

Last edited by Fox; 04-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

nope, that just makes it more yummy to me. I do use turkey burgers for my self now though and beef for the rest of the family, I really prefer beef
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

I work at buffalo wild wings, and while the food looks great, as soon as i see them prep the fryer, is over. they use a HUGE block of pure lard. it looks like a block of soap like the size of a tv. and they melt it down until its liquid. it grosses me out and i no longer want anything that was put in that fryer.
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #8  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I've felt that way looking at pizza that we've ordered (for DH and teenage boys, not for me!). Just to see all of the grease dripping off and through the box - yuck!! It gives me indigestion just to look at it.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #9  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
I've felt that way looking at pizza that we've ordered (for DH and teenage boys, not for me!). Just to see all of the grease dripping off and through the box - yuck!! It gives me indigestion just to look at it.
oh that's my favorite when the grease is dripping everywhere! What's wrong with me!!

Last edited by Fox; 04-17-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #10  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

maybe it's just me, but I am not afraid of fat, as long as it's coming from good sources, and I stay within my calories, and it's part of a balanced diet. I mean, I don't intentionally seek out fatty, greasy foods, and if there is an excess of grease that I can eliminate, I will (like blotting my pizza with a paper towel for example)... but I still eat a variety of foods in moderation... even fatty ones. I don't know if any food could really turn my stomach... I love food.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

No way. I love the sound, smell, and sight of anything sizzling away in any sort of fat.

Although solid meat fat does gross me out, and always has... bacon excluded... you should see the look on my face when I have to skim the fat off my homemade chicken stock after it cools, blech! And that's why I rarely eat beef other than ground beef (since you don't see or feel the fat there). Though I baked a whole bunch of lean meatballs recently and still got some fat that dripped out then solidified... and I had to scrape it all off.

After working at a sandwich shop, I couldn't eat mayo for a long time. You should see the way it gets all crusty and yellow around the edges when they start to dry out... and there's nothing worse than the sight and smell of a big blob of mayo being "poured" out of a big jug. *shudder* I've started eating it again occasionally, but only when it's coming out of my own container at home, and only "light" varieties.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #12  

Oh my.Buffalo Wild Wings??????WTH?So much for our TGIF BWW run tonight>Thanks for the info!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinkglowx2 View Post
they use a HUGE block of pure lard. it looks like a block of soap like the size of a tv.
OMG that is a funny visual!

Unfortunately I also am one who digs the scent of frying burgers and driving by a donut shop or Chinese fast food place; and I might let the grease drip/drain off a slice of pizza but I'm still digging that slice of pizza but I commend anyone who is turned off by the smell/sight/sound, because that can only be better for you!

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #14  

Fox, I completely agree with you. The fattier and greasier the better. I hope one day for the radical transformation where I want a piece of fruit instead of burger--but Im not holding my breath. Mmmmmm pizza grease.
twinkletoes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #15  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinkglowx2 View Post
I work at buffalo wild wings, and while the food looks great, as soon as i see them prep the fryer, is over. they use a HUGE block of pure lard. it looks like a block of soap like the size of a tv. and they melt it down until its liquid. it grosses me out and i no longer want anything that was put in that fryer.
i agree with that. after working around it the smell will just get to me and i lose my apatite. my mom owns a bar and grill in the area and once in awhile i will work for her and the smell just turns me off. the food is really good but when i have to work for her it is like i am eating because i am hungry and there is it nothing that sounds good any more. there is a restaurant in the area that i used to work at and to this day i really do not like going to eat there because i ate it so often it is now long what i want.( that was 7 years ago that i worked there) again the food is good but just does not sound good.

i also get that way with certian foods like junk food after one bite i get sick to my stomach and will no longer want it after i look at it and say to myself why am i eating this you do not need it you are not hungry.

those are the only times that i have that feeling though. otherwise i love hamburgers and that type of stuff.

Last edited by mrsaugie; 04-17-2009 at 06:43 PM.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote