Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 06:49 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias -- #164

Maggie -- Thanks for the "heads up" for a new thread! It is so terribly windy here today. As soon as Bob gets home from practice we are heading to Sioux City. His mom is - was due to fly into Omaha and should be on the road "home" by now. Jason went to pick her up and we will meet them at her friend's house where she will spend a few days before going on up to Okoboji. The way our lake is churning, it's not a nice day to be living on a lake. They have our dredge ready to go so that should be interesting to watch as it gets underway this weekend. There won't be much activity on our lake this summer because of it. Enjoy everyone of your 24 points!

Have a terrific Thursday! It's my last day of school except for the retirement coffee and then the final checkout on Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a lovely day here and the weather will be fabulous for this weekend campers. The place is fast filling up. My program is clicking along OP and I am so pleased it is. This is work that will be well worth the effort I am putting into it.

JEAN have fun in Sioux City - did you ever find that great tortilla factory. OH I can taste those fresh ones coming off the belt. My goodness this school year went by fast! Time marches on and just leaves lines on my face.

Have a great OP weekend.....it is almost here.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:27 AM   #3  

Just a quick "hello" and "good night" before I head off to bed. We had our school end of the year get together tonight. Being outside in the fresh air really made me tired for some reason -- that or just the relief that the school year is finally over. We have the annual retirement coffee tomorrow morning and then officially check out for the summer.

The place where we picniced is where DH and I transplanted Tuffy and her 4 kittens last summer. We got to see Tuffy and she has become and inside, sleep on the bed kind of cat!

MIL made it to Iowa safely and looks just great for having had back surgery this winter. At 82, she is spryer than I am, and is antsy to get on the golf course again.

I asked Amanda about the tortilla factory and she had never heard of it. She even looked in the phone book and didn't find anything. The famous (?) Sioux City Stockyards are being torn down also -- to make way for a shopping complex.

Have a fantastic Friday and a nice long weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-24-2002, 11:14 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

This is FRIDAY already ~ WOW. My big day so it is a good breakfast day don't quite know where it will be cooked yet but it will be done outside or inside because we want a good one today. Not to say my little ones during the week aren't good but there is just something about bacon and eggs (I eat beaters).

JEAN that tortilla factory store is in South Souix City Nebraska and is called Tortilla Tienda meaning Tortilla Store. It is about 3/4 miles across the old bridge on old Highway 20. Not the by-pass. That is so sad they are tearing down those historic stock yards. That is so steeped in history. Cowboy spent many an hour down there delivering cattle. Are they also tearing down those packing houses? Hope you have fun at your do this morning.

Have a lovely weekend.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:49 AM   #5  

Good Morning!
The sun is shining, NO WIND, and it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Tomorrow is graduation day so there are lots of receptions planned for outside.

Maggie -- I was here yesterday and when I saw the name of the tortilla store I logged off to call Amanda. She works in So. Sioux. I never did catch up with her but I did check out the yellow pages. There is a Tienda La Guadalaupana (whatever that means) and a Tortilleria Esperanza which had "Tortillas Corn & Flour Wholesale & Retail" following the name. I wonder if that is the place? Next time we are in the area and have time, we will check it out! There are still some small packing plants but the BIG one is IBP (Iowa Beef Processors) which is what we have here in SL, only our's is pork. They are gradually buying out the smaller plants. IBP tried to go into Spencer and the citizens wouldn't let them in .... smart move on their part! The editorials in the paper said they didn't want to become another Storm Lake. When Bob was in college he took a livestock marketing class and spent a lot of time down in the yards. They even took a field trip out to Wyoming to some big cattle ranch. Memories!

I must get busy. The laundry is waiting and I am going to eliminate some of my piles to surprise Bob when he gets home from Canada.

Have a nice weekend! I imagine you will be busy with your camping friends. Did you ever find out what happened to the lady who was abandoned?

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-25-2002, 08:31 PM   #6  

Surprise!! I'm baaaack!! I had to reregister because we have a new email addy. Anyway...I'm here!

Gosh Maggie...you have done SO WELL!! I'm proud of you! Are you still near Las Vegas? I forget the name of the town, but that is where Amazing Race 2 started. Your claim to fame! LOL

Jean: Thanks for the email...got me back here. I'm so jealous...you are going to be a grandmother!! So far I just have two grandpuppies! HOWEVER, Kristin is starting to get those "I want to be a mommy" hormones! Sometime in the next two years I suspect. Geoff has relocated back here to the West Coast...he stayed here for a time while he got a job and got organized...he has his own place now, but we still have his "puppy" Hil...a very lovable St. Bernard. I don't think we can give her back if Geoff ever finds a place where he can have pets.

So good to hear from you two...I'll try and not be a stranger!
Jackie
Old 05-25-2002, 09:20 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Busy day to say the least around here. I just finished an 18 point day's worth of food and am quite glad.

JEAN thanks for the 411 on the chages in Souix City. Progress sometimes erases old memories of places. Hope that graduation went well.

COOKIE so glad to see you! Please e-mail me with your new address for all the mail I was sending to you was coming back and I though maybe you had gotten a new one or was on an extended cruise. No we are not near Los Vegas anymore. We are in California in Ventura County living in the National Forest ~ been here for 6 months now. Maybe we can get together sometime now in the near future...... DUH (this is my edit) how can you e-mail me if you didn't even know we had come to CA? LOL

Have a great evening folks:

Last edited by Maggie; 05-25-2002 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:29 PM   #8  

Good Morning!
We are having a great Memorial Day weekend. The weather is perfect!! Today, we are singing at a Memorial Day celebration at the Vet's building in town. We sing at quite a few of the town's functions...it is really fun...one of the perks of living in a town of only 6,000 people.

Later we are going to go over to the ocean and watch the sun set...also we are going to check out all the different types of campers, 5th wheels, trailers, moterhomes,etc...the park will be full this weekend...we still want to get "something" to tour around the country in. We have a SUV with a V8 so we can pull a trailer, but would have to exchange it for a truck if we got a 5th wheel, or sell it if we got the motorhome!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
J
Old 05-26-2002, 01:47 PM   #9  
Thin Within

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a georgeous weekend here in the forest. The campground is full but rather quiet. Good group out for this weekend. This is a 25 point day for me so I need to plan my menu. Since there is no meeting tomorrow I have to go two weeks inbetween weighins. FOCUS.

COOKIE what is so geat is that whatever kind of RV you want ~ they make. They make trailers especially to pull behind SUV's such as yours or they make pull type that you wouldn't dare try to pull. Interesting to see what is out there. The different choices you make depend on your type of life style that you want while touring. Good luck with your search.

Everyone have a wonderful day.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:18 AM   #10  

Good Evening!
The rain has arrived but it has been a nice day for graduation receptions so the weatherman cooperated for once!

JACKIE!! -- Is it really YOU?? What a nice surprise to see you! My idea of camping is the Holiday Inn! There are some beautiful campers - motorhomes out there though, with all the comforts you could possibly want. We have 3 grandkittens . . . I had their picture on my desk at school and the kids thought they were our cats. When I told them they were my grandkittens, they looked at me with a puzzled look. They all know I love cats because I have cat jewelry, socks, sweaters, blouses, pens, paper, etc.

Maggie -- I am trying to FOCUS!! Beth came home this afternoon to do laundry and grill out. I figure the small steak half and salad should be OK. We also had watermelon, (with the seeds!), and it was so good. Speaking of Sioux City, I don't know when you were there last but there is now a 10+ year old mall on the southern edge of Morningside -- actually the location was cornfields back in the 60s when we were in college. There is a bypass, connecting #29 to Highway #75 north of Leeds, going around the eastern edge of SC that was just completed this spring. A new mall is being built in that area where the new homes are being built to the south and east . . . almost connecting to Sgt. Bluff on the southern edge. They are in the process of redoing "lower" 4th Street and making some of the old historic buildings into condos, restaurants, and offices. I could go back there and live except that the real estate prices and taxes have gone sky high. Even Hinton, to the north, has built a "suburb" of expensive homes on a new golf course. That's why Jason and Amanda bought their house in Merrill. A lot of people who work in SC drive back and forth from LeMars.

It is time to head for bed! Have a nice Memorial Day!

Jean -- happy to see Jackie posting again!
Old 05-27-2002, 01:50 PM   #11  

Happy Memorial Day!
We are just taking it easy today...Think I'll wander around the garden and see what needs timming, etc. Maybe go down to the pool and catch up on all the neighborhood gossip!

JEAN: This kind of officially starts your summer!! How many more years before you join me in retirement heaven??

MAGGIE: Your dedication to losing weight has really inspired me to "get with the program" I'm spending the morning putting together menus for the week. I do so much better if I KNOW what I'm going to eat and have the stuff on hand!

Well...enjoy yourselves today...and always!
J
Old 05-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #12  

Talking

Good Afternoon!
It's a beautiful day here . . . sunny and NO WIND! People are outside enjoying the nice day and I am heading that direction soon. I need to check my flowers; we had some rain last night but depending on the direction, not all of my flowers catch the raindrops.

Jackie -- I mentioned going part time to my principal and he said he would work with whatever I wanted to do. Then he asked if I would sub the other half . . . that was not in my plans! Our special ed. numbers just keep increasing yearly. We are getting ESL students dumped into our program who really need both services and for some reason if they are in one program, they can't be in the other. Dumb! I don't know what I would do all day if I actually did retire as all of my friends are still working. DH will never retire . . . he goes buggy on the weekends if he doesn't have a project of some sort to work on. I keep telling him to find that farm he wants so badly.

Beth wants to go to Wal Mart so guess I will tag along. Since that is the only shopping available on a holiday it won't take long. That is unless everyone else in town has the same idea!

Have a great afternoon!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #13  
Thin Within

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a wonderful afternoon we are having. We just got back from town to buy some flowers to plant around some rocks out here in front of our trailer. I will be able to see them from my window in front of the table where I have my little laptop.

JEAN hope you had a good time going to Wall Mart. They are open all year exept Christmas if I am not mistaken. Most of the stores in this little town are open today.

COOKIE thank you so much for the nice words. I wish you well on your program. A gal has to find her own way to lose down this road to thin. You do what I do about your weekly menu. I want those products on hand so as to get to it when I get ready.

Have a great evening ladies.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:58 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon!
I got up to rain this morning but the sun is out now with just a gentle breeze. The weatherman says it will hit 90 tomorrow . . . I hope he is wrong as I would like some spring weather before summer arrives.

Maggie -- What kind of flowers did you plant? I drove by our campground on my way to my perm this morning. I thought about you! The managers have planted flowers around their mobile home and have little lights outlining the awning. From the shoulder up, I'm good to go . . . visited my friendly dentist and have squeaky clean teeth and then on to my hairdresser for a cut and perm. (Which I won't like for a month until the first cut -- too curly and too short! ) Oh well, it will grow out. Since Bob is gone this week I am skipping class at church -- SHHHH, don't tell anyone -- and I am going to WW instead!

Have a nice "rest of the day"!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #15  

Hi Gals,

Jean: I think we are skipping Spring too!! We went from cold rain to 90 degress!! So, no excuse for not swimming now!! How neat to start the summer off with, clean teeth, cut and permed hair...I know what you mean about not liking the haircut for about 2 weeks! Then I have about 3-4 weeks of a good haircut, and then about 1-2 weeks of shaggy!! I don't have to perm mine, but I DO color it. I THINK I'm all gray...don't really know!

MAGGIE: Those flowers sound beautiful. It is amazing how just a little color around the place can really brighten it up! Our front kind of goes in waves...the tea bushes and candytuffs have died down, but the pennstamon's, yellow daisies and carnations are popping up all over. The back is pretty good about having some color somewhere just about all year long.

Enjoy the afternoon and evening!
J
Closed Thread