Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/155

Height: 5'5"

Default At my wits end!!!

I read all the threads everyday although I haven't had the courage to participate in them, but today I must because I need some guidance. I am so happy to see the before and after pictures of all those that have met their goals. My problem is I feel so hopeless and discouraged because I want to lose 15 pounds to reach my goal (cw: 155 gw:140) and I can't do it to save my life. Seeing those pictures should be my motivation but I find myself envying those who lost 50+ pounds wishing I had the willpower they have. Please family help me find some direction.
bikini bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Id give my pinkie toe to weigh what you weigh
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #3  
Spirit2006

S/C/G: 240/just starting/180

Height: 5'-3'

I too am new..i started last week, it all seemed so hopeless i have 50 pounds to loose...but all those other people have started right where we are..at the beginning....make better food choices,for me it's not a diet but a change in my eating habits....so far i'm 3 pounds lighter than last week..i gotta post more because i want a cute little ticker...lol...
Spirit2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Bikini, have you seen our "Featherweights" forum? We have an entire support group for those who are starting out fairly close to their goal weight...it presents unique challenges, for sure! So do head on over there and check it out.

What are you eating? What does a typical day look like for you? Are you exercising? How many calories do you have in a day?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForMeAgain View Post
Id give my pinkie toe to weigh what you weigh
That's what my girlfriend said. My biggest problem is my muffintop. I have skinny legs and thighs so it makes my stomach look even bigger.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #6  

Those last pounds are the hardest to lose- or so I hear. I haven't yet been close to the 'last 20'. Are you tracking your calories? What about exercise? There is certainly something you could tweek. The best book I've ever found for explaining health etc. and helping you learn to 'hear' your body is "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It's an e-book but I have read all 350 pages and it will knock your socks off. I think a lot of the advice he gives in that book would be good for you since it focuses on fat loss without muscle loss.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #7  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

Height: 5'7"

People do say that the last 15 pounds is the hardest to lose. I really wish I could offer you more help. But yeah, a lot of people on here started at the very beginning, at the bottom.
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #8  

I'm going to check out featherweights now. Thanks. I love what you said about its not about motivation its about committment. Im taping that to my fridge before i go to bed. As far as eating I really have no direction
I'll do slim fast in the morning then switch to atkins for lunch, then have a smoothie for dinner. If I pick up a magazine every day, I'll do whatever the feature diet is.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #9  

It's not the last 15 pounds, It's the same 15 pounds. I haven't lost 1 pound. I wish I could say its a plateau but I would be lying.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmm. Sounds like you need to find yourself a sustainable plan that you can STICK with longterm. You can't lose weight, if you don't stick to your plan.

Has that been the problem, you can't stick to something? I think that's what I may be hearing. Get back to us.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #11  

rockinrobin you hit the nail on the head! Congratulations on your weight loss. How did you start?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikini bod View Post
rockinrobin you hit the nail on the head! Congratulations on your weight loss. How did you start?
Oh gosh. Where did I start? I would say that the biggest part of my "start" was making the decision to lose the weight. Once and for all. I got sick and tired of being fat and realized (finally) that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to. Period. End of subject. Because really, losing weight is a doable thing and any one and everyone can do it. It's not some crazy schemed idea. It CAN be done. It's a proven fact. So, I decided to DO IT. And I got excited. Really, really excited. I knew that every time I said no to one of "those foods" I was one step closer to my goals and my dreams.

I'm going to go dig up an old post of mine about my plan. I've recycled it many times. Here it goes:

Hmmm. Well let's see. I knew the only way this weight loss thing would *work*, permanently that is, would be if I could find something that I could stick with LONGTERM, forever in fact, because not only do I want to lose the weight, but I want to keep it off - forever. It simply won't *work* if you dont' stick with it. Consistiency, consistiency, consistiency. STICKING with it is of course the key. Lifestyle change. Creating a new normal. No going back to the old ways. Permanent, sustainable lifetime changes.

So of course finding something that I could stick with was essential.

Things I needed/still need to be on my plan:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Just not for me. I despise that feeling and need to AVOID it all costs. It would only set me up for failure.
- I need LOTS of food, volume that is.
- I love food, always will and need to get enjoyment from it. So eating delicious, very tasty, satisfying foods was a MUST.
- I am terrible with portion control. I have no boundaries. My intuitive eating button is totally broken or just missing completely. So I need to fake it. I need something that forces me to set limits.
- I want not only to be thin at this point, I want to be healthy. Strong bones & muscles, good vision, healthy hair and nails, low cholesterol, normal sugar levels, high vitamin count, lower my risk of cancers.

So therefore, let's see if I can do this with one breath - I eat frequently, every 2 hours or so, choosing low calorie/high volume items (veggies), lots of protein and fiber (to keep me full longer), I count calories (forced portion control/accountability), I eat foods with high nutritional values, I've found foods that I LOVE, not *diet* foods per se, food that any one and every one can eat.

I also set myself up for success. By ridding my home of the junk (very crucial in the beginning, and still is). I got rid of the sugar, the rice, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... Sure I love the stuff, but I have no control with it. I figured I can not have it both ways. I simply can not have those foods in my life (very strict with it especially in the beginning, cold turkey in fact) and be that healthy, fit person I so longed to be. I have no control over them and realized I was just better off without them.

I keep my home fully stocked with tons and tons of veggies. I discovered fabulous ways to prepare them and now enjoy them more then the other garbage I was eating prior. Amazing how ones tastes change when you stop feeding it junk. Fruits and low fat proteins are my other main foods. I cook fabulous meals that my whole family enjoys. So finding yummy recipes that you like is essential. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good.

I also prepare ahead, as it is the ONLY way to succeed, IMO. Eating healthy does not happen by chance in our society. Therefore it MUST, MUST be planned out in advance. I know what I'm having for my meals and snacks days in advance. I pack food with me, taking it with me wherever I go, leaving nothing to chance. It's just THAT important.

I drink lots of water. It's something to do with my mouth, a delaying tactic and it keeps my tummy full.

And of course, there is the calorie counting. Would be no where without it. No where. Fitday.com can get you started on that. Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer. Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check. Period.

Exercise has now become part of my life and is a big part of "my plan". I started out slowly and built up. Cardio & strength training. I make sure there is some kind of daily movement going on, 7 days a week.

Probably the biggest part of my plan though, was making a commitment. Deciding once and for all that I was going to "do this". I told myself enough is enough. I realized, once and for all that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was something that I did indeed have total and complete control over. No reason on earth for me to waste another second of my life being miserable, worrying about my health and not living up to my full potential. Not being the very best ME that I could be. So I made a commitment to good eating and good health.

And that, in a nutshell (albiet, a VERY large one) is *my plan*.

With some *shopping around*, experimenting, tweaking and adjusting you too can and will find what "works for you". Good luck to you. And please, don't hesitate to ask questions. This is a terrific site, filled with loads of successful, smart people very willing to help.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Do you exercise? That is often the key to breaking a plateau. Also, robin is dead about consistent plans that are stable for long term. Consistency and healthy plans are what separate the yo-yo from the maintainer.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #14  

You have no idea how much you have helped. I am definitely making the committment right here, right now. I know part of my problem is trying to find a quick fix. Ive gone to a consultation for liposuction but after seeing one of my girlfriends that had it and the tremendous amount of weight she gained afterward I opted out. I also have been damaging my health by taking pills, laxatives anything that would make the scale budge only to gain it right back. I have high blood pressure (today it was 158/111) and I take meds. I'm being monitored for tachycardia because my pulse rate was 111. The doctors dont understand why the meds are not working and I'm too embarrassed to tell them that It's the pills I've been taking. I stopped taking them about two weeks ago and I've gained 7 pounds. Now I'm even more depressed and ashamed. I'm 42 years old and I'm acting like a child. Todays the day to get my life in order while I still have a chance.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Atta girl. How's this for coincidence? I started all this when I was 42.

There are no quick fixes. Period. But ya know what? You don't need them. Eating right and exercise on a continuous basis IS all the FIX we need. This has to be about doing the "right" thing for your body and your body in return will do the "right" thing for you. You either want to be a health minded person - or you don't. And the great thing about it is, you can become that health minded person right this minute.

Form yourself a plan and get cracking. You won't regret it for a teeny, tiny second.