Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #1  
This IS it...

S/C/G: 350.2/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy WARNING: TMI - period issues: don't read if you don't want to know

I am having period issues. They are really starting to worry me. Usually my period is relatively predictable. I am not a perfectly scheduled one who knows exactly when it is coming and when it will end, but I generally know what week it should come and about how many days it should last. The past 6 months or so though...first I just started having 'different' periods than I was used to (rather than starting heavy and getting lighter as it goes, it started being very light then heavy then lighter). But, the past three months it has been as follows: a very, very light period, followed by a very late period that lasted three weeks long, then one week off, a 4 week period, then one week off, an 8 day period, a week off, and I am currently having the weirdest one yet. I actually saw about an inch piece of bloody tissue (I think?) in the toilet when i peed earlier and I only seem to have my period when I pee? It's not blood in my urine, just bloody mucous when I wipe. I really do know this is too much information, but I'm freaking out here.

I am going to make an appointment tomorrow because this is really starting to worry me, but would love to hear any insight anyone has until then while I wait to be seen. Has anyone EVER had anything even similar to this and if so, what was wrong?

P.S. There is absolutely no chance I am pregnant and I am not on birth control of any type.
TiffTiff1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, Im not a doctor, so your idea to go to a doctor is good. If you're only bleeding when you pee, I would think bladder or urinary tract infection! Good luck!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I had a UTI once, right after my TOM ended, and for a while, I thought it was my period for a few days at least...I had no other symptoms other than this weird "huh, maybe my period started again" bleeding when I peed. I think it's time to put a call into the doctor. By the time I realized what it actually was, I had a full-out kidney infection.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #4  
Tanya

S/C/G: 262/ticker/140

It is good idea to check in with your dr. but I wouldn't freak out. I could be from diet and activity changes. Severe changes in our diet levels can make things a little weird for awhile. I don't know how old you are, but our cycles do change as we age. Do you have frequency or pain and burning when you urinate or feel like you can't empty bladder...those are usual signs of UTI, and may also have blood. If you have blood in your urine you probably wouldn't see much on tp, and it would be completely mixed with urine, not streaked.
TSap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #5  
This IS it...

S/C/G: 350.2/ticker/135

I'm 23, and the weirdness started before I began dieting and exercising. No pain or burning, peeing is completely normal, no blood in the urine.
TiffTiff1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

A gynecologist should be able to tell you the things that might be causing this. One possibility is that the lining of the uterus that falls away every month hasn't done so completely, and so it keeps bleeding a bit at that point. In any case, being checked out by a doctor is a good idea, because the condition doesn't seem to be resolving on its own.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Height: 5'8"

Here are some related questions:
are you tired often?
is your hair falling out?
are you often either really hot or really cold?

I ask, because when I was in high school, my period was all over the place. I'd have one for 2 weeks, then not for 4, then I'd have one for two days, and then not for two months. It was incredibly unpredictable, plus I was constantly tired, a lot of my hair fell out and I was hot all the time. In the winter, it was not uncommon for me to go outside in a tank top while everyone else was in winter coats. I had some blood work done, and it turns out that my thyroid gland was under active, and happens to control everything I just mentioned. I got on pills, and after a while my period and everything else corrected itself. It's more of a gradual thing when the gland doesn't work - for example, I didn't lose all of my hair at once - but if your doctor can't give you any other rational explanation, it might be worth asking about.
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

My experience thus far...

- As soon as I started loosing weight and changing my lifestyle my period went nuts. I never know when I'm going to start, periods can be extremely heavy and I mean scary heavy lol, periods can be extremely light, symptoms can show up weeks before, or just a few days. It really is all over the map and this is common with weight loss or any lifestyle change really.

- Mucus type gunk when you pee could be a sign of ovulation or your body cleaning out left over blood, which I've experienced both and it is gross, but hey your body does what it does. If the mucus is brown or a darker tone then that could simply be left over blood from a previous period. An example: Now at the start of my period I get a brown/red mucus mixed in when I pee. This happens a day or two before I start. Then I get my period and at the end I get the brown/red mucus mixture which is a sign of my period ending. A brown discharge could also be a sign of ovulation, I've experienced this as well and since I didn't feel any pain nor were there any smells, I didn't think anything of it because a day later I was not having the discharge.

I'm used to my periods now and expect them to be "out of norm" so to speak. I mean my body is changing every day, you can't expect your period to stay the same. If you are concerned then I think you should make an appointment and settle your worries. It probably is just your body reacting to your new lifestyle and such. However, it is always good to be 100% sure.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 01-23-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #9  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I know this might seeem a little strange me asking and you don't have to answering if you don't want to but by the fact that you posted this thread about your period makes me think you're not all that worried about talking about embarrasing stuff but do you also have problems with excess facial and body hair, skin tags, insulin resistance/diabetes, anxiety/depression, acne, and/or hair loss similar to male patterned baldness? I only ask because if you're having crazy periods in addition to some of these other symptoms I'd also consider asking about PCOS or Polycysitic Ovarian Syndrome. It might also be some other form of hormonal imbalance as well especially if this started prior to your lifestyle change. Like others have said, if your doctor can't seem to give you a good explanation I would see about getting a referral to an endocrinologist to get some blood work run and see whats going on. Plus I would also do it if it's been a while since you've had a physical. I mean I'm no doctor but from my personal experience with hormonal imbalances (PCOS and hypothyroidism) and the fact that you're the same age as me, it sends up a red flag so I can't help but recommend checking it out. Well I hope that helps and keep us posted.
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #10  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Working out and changing your eating habits can affect your period definitely. But, this sounds like it might be a little bit more than that. Just to be safe, I'd go see your doc. Don't overly worry yourself though until you talk to him/her, because undue stress isn't good either. Let us know once you see your doc how things are.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Oy, this thread is contagious. I'm only on day 12 ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I was also thinking PCOS.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote