Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default anyone miss their fat bodies?

Hi y'all--

I've been in a kinda reflective mood this past evening. I've noticed quite some changes in my body since I started losing weight again (i.e. increased muscle mass, reduction of fat, etc) and kinda felt a little nostalgic for the "old" me... in which I was - yessssss - heavier by over 100 lbs that I've since lost... but at least I knew how I would feel when sitting down (a lotta butt fat to cushion me ) or when seeing my large shape in the mirror and know what clothes size/stores/"looks" would look good on me-- even as an seriously obese person.

Now, it's all changing as I'm reaching the magic "199 lbs" mark in a few weeks (hopefully! I'm at 203 lbs as of this post) and I felt a little whimsical for back then when I did know how I looked in the mirror as an even more overweight gal *Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with all the changes I'm feeling/seeing as of late with losing weight, lol *

Perhaps its the jolly ole winter season? lol

Anyone else ever catch themselves in that kind of flashback moment? How do you deal with it?

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 12-18-2008 at 04:26 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Oh yeah I missed my fat body so much I gained weight back! Keep going and congrats on your weight loss.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/178/130

Height: 5' 7"

Sometimes I miss the fact that I used to eat and eat and eat and not even think about exercise.I sometimes wish I could just go back to being fat so that I could eat the entire cake, or eat a whole block of cheese without any guilt but then I'm reminded of the fact that my health is so much improved and when I finish I can find clothes I like that fit me rather than only wearing what fits even if I hate it.
Vahla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
Oh yeah I missed my fat body so much I gained weight back! Keep going and congrats on your weight loss.
Cute horsey, very cute.

Well, I guess if one misses it enough, gaining it back is always an option, huh?

Just kidding sunshine, I know it was a serious question. And my answer is a bit gigantic NO. I never, ever miss my fat. Not for a second.

But I do understand (a little bit) what you are speaking about. Sure, in the old days I always went to clothing stores, all 3 of them that is, and went right to the largest size. As I was going down in weight it WAS a little confusing til I found the right sizes. Oh and the right styles. I used to just take whatever got around me. Now I actually have to decide what to buy as there's soooo much to choose from and sooo much that fits me and quite frankly - it ALL looks good on me.

And yes, I've got zilcho padding on the behind. Some chairs could definitely use a little more cushioning, now that I've got none. But back in the day I was TERRIFIED of chairs. I was always afraid I wasn't going to fit in them and that I was going to break them. Horrible memories for me. Horrible.

And yes, I was DEFINITELY warmer back when I was morbidly obese. And now I am frigid. Comes with the package.

It is an adjustment, that is for sure. I guess it's a good thing it takes time to get all the weight off, so we can adjust to it as it comes off. The unknown is always a bit scary, but it's also exciting and fun. Enjoy the changes as you learn what you were meant to be all along. And that is what I truly believe. You will discover who you were intended to be.

Congratulations on your phenomenal weight loss, thus far.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahla View Post
Sometimes I miss the fact that I used to eat and eat and eat and not even think about exercise.I sometimes wish I could just go back to being fat so that I could eat the entire cake, or eat a whole block of cheese without any guilt but then I'm reminded of the fact that my health is so much improved and when I finish I can find clothes I like that fit me rather than only wearing what fits even if I hate it.
This is a good point. I do sometimes miss the fact that I can't eat ALL that food and that I HAVE to exercise. But as we all know, we can't have it both ways. It just can't occur. We can't have all "that food" in our lives AND be that fit, healthy, slender person. So, of course we have to choose just which one it will be. And like most of us here, I choose to be the fit, healthy, slender person.

But to tell you the truth, eating all "that food" never really made me a happy person. Eating what I wanted, when I wanted was not a satisfactory life for me. Not the food in and of itself and certainly not the consequences of all that food. And now that I am carefully monitoring my food intake and exercising, I AM a much happier person and a much healthier person.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There is nothing I miss about it. Not the heat rash, not the splitting out of the back seam of pants that are too small (while on a business trip, no less), not the out-of-breath, is-this-the-heart-attack moments, not the trying to "look good" but not really making it. Nope. I don't miss my fat body at all, and I don't want it back.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Do I miss it?? Heck, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

And mainly, I don't miss my old self. So many people commented on what a happy person I have become and I would like to keep it that way. Besides, I am kinda enjoying the compliments - my coworkers now call me 'skinny' (although there is nothing skinny about me). I hope that by summer, I will have that 6 pack I keep dreaming about. My muscles are getting a very nice definition and like I said yesterday, size 4 jeans are waiting in the closet.

I don't want to go back, ever!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #8  
FB

I don't miss it at all, not a bit. Perhaps the winter season makes you pine for the familiar? It's cold outside and familiarity is sort of cozy.

When I first started losing and the change was rough I was nostalgic for my old lifestyle, a bit like being nostalgic for childhood. You know, the complete lack of responsibility, accountability and disregard for consequence. Being reckless and all.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #9  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

No way! I don't miss stuffing myself into too-small sizes because nothing fit and I was bound and determined not to buy yet a larger size. I avoided mirrors, got out of breath walking up stairs, and couldn't run any distance at all. I felt sluggish, out of shape, and .... old.

My current slimmer body performs so much better and I FEEL so much better now. I also sometimes wish I didn't have to watch what I eat all of the time -- especially at this time of year. But then I remember how I felt when I was heavier, and I'd rather work out, eat right and feel good, than eat everything in sight and feel bad.

So no, I don't miss my heavier self AT ALL.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Are you serious???

Just for the record I am still fat but losing and when it is gone ...

... am I going to miss the back pain, weak knees and ankles, sky high blood pressure and fluid retention and lower leg edema, not being about to stand for more thasn 15 minutes without leaning on something, fear of running into old friends, humiliation of not fitting into public seats and breaking a brand spanking new dining room table chair of a new friend just by simply sitting in it?

... no
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I will miss the excuses I used because I was 340 pounds. I will miss the way people avoided me and I will miss the way I stay in and never go anywhere. Saying that, I also won't miss it. It is just my way of saying that being so big was like a protective blanket of fat and in a way I'll miss it, but apart of my journey is moving on and finding myself again. So, even though I'm scared of the future, I'm still going for it!

Hopefully that makes sense...
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

When I was fat my role in life felt more defined. I was the at fat room mom that did all the work. I was the fat friend that was always good for a laugh. I was the fat wife that never wore anything that didn't come the fat girls store. As I go down, I am really having to figure out everything--from clothes, to how I should act--the charade wasn't really me, etc. I also felt "safer" being fat. Now, I feel vulnerable like I am naked or something. Physically I MISS MY BREASTS. Originally a 38DD, I am now a 36B!

BUT, I am happy to be able to move. I am so excited that I have decreased my chances of so many illnesses. I am happy not to be the fattest in the room anymore. I am happy to throw a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt on, put my hair in a headband and still look reasonably nice. I am happy my husband is so proud of my accomplishment. I am proud when I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself.

I guess in the end it's a tradeoff.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-18-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #13  
This IS it...

S/C/G: 350.2/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

You can't miss anything you still have!!!
TiffTiff1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #14  
bow chicka wow wow

S/C/G: 240/183/135-140

Height: 5'7"

The ONLY thing I miss, is that my prom dress is too big now. It was so pretty and now my boobs are wayyyy too small to wear it.
Other than that OMG I WOULD NEVER MISS BEING FAT(ter).
deathnotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I have to say ... NOPE.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote