Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Default Frustration

It's so frustrating when I get on the scale and it says I lost weight. Yet I feel no different and don't think I look different. It says that I lost more then 30lb in the last 2 months. I know I cant expect this to happen over night (maybe the hardest part of all because I want it to so bad). But it's such a long waiting game.

Not to mention when you have a day or two of losing a few pounds, then go a few days staying the same weight. I know thats normal and you are not supposed to lose every day, but it's so frustrating.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Not to mention everytime I don't lose I question everything from the day before. Maybe I ate too much, maybe there was somthing I ate that I shouldnt have. It makes me not want to eat that day, which obviously I have to. I am so scared to gain weight after the progress i've had already. It makes me scared to eat. It's like this is all starting to turn into a mind control game, and it worries me.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! OK, deep breath now! ahhhhhh...

Wow, 30 pounds in 2 months is great! You are doing very, very well! Please don't be impatient because you have no reason to be! In fact, most people lose more slowly, and you shouldn't be anxious to lose any quicker. Healthy weight loss is no more than 2 pounds per week for an average person. Those with a higher start weight can lose more quickly at first.

Now I'll tell you about the paper towel roll. This is one of my favorite analogies. You've got two large rolls of paper towel. Each day you tear one sheet off one of the rolls. After a week, they still look about the same... but as time goes on, you'll notice a bigger and bigger difference. That's because as the roll gets smaller, each sheet is a greater percentage of what's left.

So weight loss is like this. So far, you've lost more than 10% of your start weight, but the next 30 pounds will be a greater percentage. You'll see! The difference will become more and more obvious.

So don't give up! Just be sure you are following a healthy program of eating and exercise. Yes, it's frustrating, but you're doing so well!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-10-2008 at 07:57 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Your eyes also (literally) play tricks on you while losing weight.

It's like this - your brain uses a technique called "pattern completion". This helps you process visual images faster...basically, for things or people that you see often, your brain registers certain basic visual features, then fills in the rest from memory. This allows faster identification of things you see all the time.

When you lose weight, your eyes see the basics of YOU, and fill in the rest from memory. So it recognizes, for example, bits of your facial structure, says "This is something I recognize!" and plugs in the rest of the visual to match...even if you don't look quite like that anymore! So your mind literally is playing tricks.

One thing that overrules this "pattern recognition" is looking at yourself in a different scale. This is why so many people first notice physical differences in photographs. A photo is different in scale than what you see in the mirror every day, so you scrutinize it more carefully, and the differences become more apparent. So if you haven't pulled out before and after pics, do so! You might be surprised at just how much your brain is tricking you!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Your eyes also (literally) play tricks on you while losing weight.

It's like this - your brain uses a technique called "pattern completion". This helps you process visual images faster...basically, for things or people that you see often, your brain registers certain basic visual features, then fills in the rest from memory. This allows faster identification of things you see all the time.

When you lose weight, your eyes see the basics of YOU, and fill in the rest from memory. So it recognizes, for example, bits of your facial structure, says "This is something I recognize!" and plugs in the rest of the visual to match...even if you don't look quite like that anymore! So your mind literally is playing tricks.

One thing that overrules this "pattern recognition" is looking at yourself in a different scale. This is why so many people first notice physical differences in photographs. A photo is different in scale than what you see in the mirror every day, so you scrutinize it more carefully, and the differences become more apparent. So if you haven't pulled out before and after pics, do so! You might be surprised at just how much your brain is tricking you!
Wow that is really interesting!

x0me880x- 30 lbs in two months that is awesome!! But I know where you are coming from. Have you taken measurements or anything? Sometimes the scale dosent show all of the progress that we have made.
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

x0me880x I can completely understand! I've lost over 26lbs since mid-September and over 36lbs since 2007. When I look in the mirror, I just see the same person, no differences.

And as for what mandalinn82 said, the pictures do help. I look at old pictures and can defiantly see a difference. It's crazy what our minds do to us!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

whoa!! whatever you are doing, you are doing it right, keep it up!! I understand about the driving yourself crazy over the scale..I agree, why not take measurements right now. and maybe weigh yourself just once a week?

but again, wow! at your success! that is a LOT in a relatively short time.

(and I love the paper towel analogy, that is great )
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote