Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default how to end black and white thinking.

I'm not really asking for some mysterious solution, more so just to get this out of my system.

I have a very black and white way of thinking. Because I ate some holiday snack thing yesterday at work ( maybe half a cup ), I've been on a mild binge since. Not eating everything in sight, but still eating more than normal, and not counting [points ( I do weight watchers).

It's the idea that since I messed up, I might as well go big. Then I feel bad about it and it goes in a circle.

I'm sick of this. It tires me out. I haven't been very 'good' on the nutrition or exercise front either, mainly becaue we're extra busy at work and I have lots to do for the holidays. Part of me thinks it'd be a good idea just to try to maintain until the holidays are done, but then I think about all I could accomplish...but I haven't been exercising at all for the last two months, so I highly doubt I'll finally want to do it now, when i'm really busy all the sudden.

I do ww because of all things I've tried, ti works the best for me I tried intuitive eating, and although I was happier, I also gained a lot of wieght from it.

Im just tired and not sure what to do.
Has anyone felt this way? Does anyone think in black and white extremes like I do?

Any advice would be appreciated. I wont' be able to post for a while. I have a virus on my home computer and until I can address that, I have to use the computers at the library or my office.

thanks.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

I know exactly where you are coming from. Guess what, I'm bipolar! EVERYTHING about me is in extremes. If I'm happy, I'm ecstatic. If I'm sad, I want to crawl under the covers and bawl my eyes out for hours. I have an on-and-off drug problem, when I'm sober I'm sober 100%, no alcohol, no nothing, but when I slip... I figure, what the heck, might as well go all out. I obsess over things, I take things too seriously, I'm easily disappointed.

Basically, yes, me too. It's not just food. It's a whole mentality that needs to be looked at and worked on. It's easy to set rules for yourself, and it's easy to follow them most of the time. The hard part is forgiving yourself when you mess up, and getting right back on track.
Since I haven't completely gotten over this, I might not be that much help to you, I don't have any instant fix advice. What I'm trying to do is just remind myself that this is my life choice, to be healthy, to be slim, to be happy. Every choice you make is independent. When I decide to have a cheeseburger, or a brownie, I try my hardest afterward to just think "That was tasty" and be done with it and eat healthy the rest of the day, or week.
All or nothing is easy. You have to make a conscious effort to use restraint and discipline when you're not being "perfect" according to your diet plan, and then you can slowly get back on track.
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I was listening to Jillian Michael's podcast and she made a really good point about this to a guy who was having the same issue. If you have a flat tire and are forced to pull over. Do you get out and slash the other 3 because one is flat. Of course not, the logical thing is to fix the flat tire. The same goes with slip ups, just because you over indulge at breakfast doesn't mean lunch and dinner are ruined.

Try to think of that next time. so you ate more than you should have yesterday. Thats done move on to today and make the right choices, all is not lost. You've had so much success already you must be doing things right way more often than you are slipping up. Don't focus so much on your mistakes especially in light of 60 lbs lost, that is an amazing effort. Good Luck.

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-10-2008 at 01:07 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #4  

Default I so relate to what you are saying.

After a lifetime of failed "diet" attempts I've come to some conclusions, and one one of them is: PERFECTION IS THE ENEMY!

I was always the CLASSIC "well, I blew it, I guess I'll start tomorrow/monday/after the holidays." Of course, that meant I had to squeee in alllllllll kinds of stuff RIGHT NOW that I would not be eating in my future PERFECT Monday/net week/next month/after the holidays.

What a fat trap that is!

I'll tell you what seems to be working for me: acceptance, but not "eat whatever" acceptance, but, the acceptance that overeating is something I have to FIGHT every day of my life even when I'm on the thin side -- or else I won't stay there.

A tool that I found from this site that helps me is Fitday. If I eat something, it goes on there....just estimate the amount, put it down, then it's simply included in your day, it's over.

At first I thought the fitday was too difficult/annoying but once you build up a good inventory of stuff you eat all the time, it's pretty easy to use. Also sometimes if I'm tempted to just eat mindlessly I'm like, oh I don't want to go type that I ate that, forget it, LOL!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

That's kind of funny ( not ha ha...) I'm bipolar as well. I forget that sometimes because it's something I deal with every day. I think I forget about it, and I forget that I'm not like other people. My thought processes aren't like other people. I've never had issues w/ drugs or alcohol, but I do think I need to watch out for that sort of thing than other poeple do. Even though you don't think you helped me, you truuly did, reminding me that I'm not alone, even when I think so... thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
I know exactly where you are coming from. Guess what, I'm bipolar! EVERYTHING about me is in extremes. If I'm happy, I'm ecstatic. If I'm sad, I want to crawl under the covers and bawl my eyes out for hours. I have an on-and-off drug problem, when I'm sober I'm sober 100%, no alcohol, no nothing, but when I slip... I figure, what the heck, might as well go all out. I obsess over things, I take things too seriously, I'm easily disappointed.

Basically, yes, me too. It's not just food. It's a whole mentality that needs to be looked at and worked on. It's easy to set rules for yourself, and it's easy to follow them most of the time. The hard part is forgiving yourself when you mess up, and getting right back on track.
Since I haven't completely gotten over this, I might not be that much help to you, I don't have any instant fix advice. What I'm trying to do is just remind myself that this is my life choice, to be healthy, to be slim, to be happy. Every choice you make is independent. When I decide to have a cheeseburger, or a brownie, I try my hardest afterward to just think "That was tasty" and be done with it and eat healthy the rest of the day, or week.
All or nothing is easy. You have to make a conscious effort to use restraint and discipline when you're not being "perfect" according to your diet plan, and then you can slowly get back on track.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote