Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #1  

Unhappy 3wks postpartum and really scared:(

I 1st wanted to say hi I have been a long time lurker and thought it was time to sign up

Alittle background....

I have a history of unhealthly eating and habits I have a pretty long history of eating disorders(EDNOS/Bulimia yes I have been to doctors) I have never dieted "healthly" and at a place where I really want/need to be.

My habits of binging/purging never keep me at a soild weight so I did yo-yo up and down for awhile. I hate to say I had a addiction to diet pills and laxitives.

We have a 7(almost 8) y/o boy and we just had our 2nd little boy 3wks ago and I have gained about 50lbs during pregnancy. Before pregnancy I gained weight durning fertility treatments(I have some issues getting pregnant and after many cycles the drugs took a took on me)

I am breastfeeding which is very important to me so I am TRYING SOOOO HARD to be healthly and also wrap my mind around losing weight the right way not just for myself but for my son. Also I have noticed that my constant talking about weight/diets has somewhat rubbed off on our 7 older son and I DONT want to that to him even more so because he is already very skinny!

I have to do something and have been looking at diffferent diets and trying to figure the out what is the best when breastfeeding and being healthly.

I am looking at doing WW but probaby not going to the meeting but just counting the points at 1st and then maybe joining but then I have been looking at doing TOPS too because it seems cheaper then WW. BUT then I am not sure if I want to do the meeting thing even thou it sounds great because of the weigh ins but it could be good because I then just could not get a scale(I have a history of when I see a # I dont like going pretty extreme) I am also planning on exercising I am just trying to figure out what type I am going to do I loved BODY PUMP but I dont know if I am "fit' enough to do it yet.

Thanks in advance
Coloradogrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

You'll burn 500 cal a day breast feeding. Did you try to Cindy Crawford excercise dvd for after having a baby? It's a classic. I'm sure there's others to get you started gradually on exercise. Of course you can get out with your stroller and walk and walk, babies love that too! I don't think you are supposed to really diet right after a baby and when you are nursing. How about enjoying your baby, exercise with baby, eat healthy and the weight will come off, then if there's some left after nursing you can diet more?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #3  

I have been looking for a video I will look at the Cindy Crawford I dont think i could keep up at a class at the gym but have thought about working out at the gym but I dont know how long I could really be gone My little one likes to nurse about every 1-2 hours and will most likely be doing that for quite awhile because I am planning on starting soilds anytime soon.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

If you have ON DEMAND at home there are some free programs there to try out. One is a one-mile walk I am sure you could do right now and maybe progress to the three-mile walk in time. Give your body some time to heal and try not to overdo it. Congrats on your new baby boy.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #5  

Oh course we switched from Comcast and dont have Ondemand! I have thought about Mall walking I have to drop our 7 y/o off at school every morning and it would "make" me get up and dressed for the day and I wouldnt be too freaked out because the mall is mainly closed because all the shops are closed and I have heard that there is groups of older people who walk but it wouldnt be too overwhelming with tons of people
Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 AM   #6  

Babies bundled up don't mind the cold, you can get outdoors too with baby! I remember being so overwhelmed after a baby, and feeling so fat... I think I had some post partum depression too. Cabin fever being at home with a baby. I remember taking my little boy to the YMCA so I could workout, they had babysitting but I worried about him being so young and getting sick. Then I found some post baby dvds, there's another one by Lisa Hart called Fit Momma and Gabby Reece came out with a new one too as she had a baby at about 40 or so. Just go to amazon.com and you'll find these. Or get them cheaper at half.com or ebay or other places.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Everyone has given you great advice. And, be kind to yourself. 9 months up, 9 months down! Your body just created, grew and is now nourishing life!

As an aside, I wouldn't reccomend starting solids just yet. Not only is baby not physiologically ready at 3 weeks of age, but it will decrease the demand for the breast which could lead to premature weaning.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #8  

Oh gosh I am DEFINTLY NOT starting soilds yet I must of type that wrong. We are not planning on starting solids till ATLEAST 6 months I love breastfeeding and he is growning great and I dont want to stop him from breastfeeding by my milk drying up.

Its hard thou I am not going to lie I have to mentally put my self in a positive place to do it....its very hard for me not to want to take diet pills and also even more harder to make sure I am geting atleast 1800 cals but his health is more important to me then a nice waist line

Thanks for all the great advice I am going to look right now for some videos that is a good idea and I am also pull that stroller out and go for a walk around the neighborhood its been nippy ourside but I can bundle him up good. I think if I wait to do the mall/ymca I will put it off. I have also considering looking on Craigslist for a elipical machine
Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #9  

Your baby is more important then your waist line - don't take diet pills, any drug goes right to the baby, you know that! Resist any "quick fixes" now.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #10  

I will say I am hoping this process helps me stay away from the quick fixes forever if anything it will FORCE me to be healthy and hopefully create new healthly habits! It may sound silly but I never even considered losing 1-2 lbs a week it was always crash diets that never worked.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

I always did WW while breastfeeding. I do it online because I have never been a meeting person. I stuck to the points & made certain I was eating all of my flex points for the week. I never had any problems with my milk supply decreasing. I know that they have a program for nursing mothers but I have never tried it. When you do your initial quiz there is a check box for nursing mothers. I am thinking they may adjust your point target to allow for the extra calories you need while nursing. Congratulations on your new baby! I am using another baby as my motivation tool--as soon as I lose the weight I can get pregnant again.
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

I know you said that you arent ready for a fitness class, but I started the mommy and me class at my local gym and it is amazing! Its such a fun and supportive class....your little guy can come with you and you can meet some people in the same boat. I would highly recommend it. My son is now 4 months old and he was born by c-section so I was not able to start exercising for 6 weeks. I am also breastfeeding and I have so far lost 50lbs (completely healthily and I feel great!). I gained 75lbs during my pregnancy.
Dont be hard on yourself! I know that is easier said than done but it will happen! I still struggle with not being hard on myself and I have lost 50lbs.
Good luck to you! I know you`ll do great!
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote