Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Getting rid of "thin" clothes

Have you (or did you before you reached your goal) gotten rid of or hung onto your "thin" or "thinner" clothes? I just wondered how keeping them/getting rid of them has affected your weight loss journey.

I've had some now that I've had for years. At the rate I'm losing, which is fine with me because I AM losing, it would take probably nine months to fit into the biggest of them, maybe 18 months or more to fit into the smallest, if ever. I tend to have more of a classic style, so I'm not worried that they'll be out of fashion.

This was prompted by the clutter discussion and "It's All Too Much," but I thought it would be good to get thoughts from people who don't have clutter issues, too. If I follow the book, then they're out of here because I'm not supposed to keep anything that doesn't fit me and I don't wear.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I think if you're making progress towards them then keep them. I would however, get rid of the bigger clothes as soon as they aren't wearable.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I kept mine, and as I fit into them, I feel really proud that I kept them and saved the money. I do give away my too-bigs, though. I think that too-smalls count as goal clothes and NOT clutter. Getting rid of them would be like throwing money away, especially if they are classics.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I keep some, but I think hard first about whether it's a "great" item or not. My standards have gone up .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/150

Height: 5'5''

I have kept mine for years! Especially my favorite pair of jeans. I am very excited to one day get into those jeans. I feel more motivated now that you mention it! Maybe I will go find them and remind myself that I am capable of achieving my goals!!! I say keep them!!!
prunellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #6  

I don't have many "thin" clothes. But I have one pair of jeans that I am not letting go until I can put them on easily. Then, they can hit the trash. But not until they fit me comfortably.
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I keep all of mine, but then im one of those people who never throws anything out! If i get to goal and find that i still dont wear them, then i might give them away
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #8  
Rah Rah Red Team!

S/C/G: 188/181/135

Height: 5'7"

I have kept all of my thin clothes, for sure. All of my clothes are "thin" clothes! I went away from home, put on a bunch of weight, and came back to a wardrobe that doesn't fit me. I find it really hard to buy "fat" clothes, personally. Any one else share that?
LakeEffectKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

I kept EVERYTHING!! ...then I started on my new life style change... and I gave it all away ...except for about 5 pieces.

When I do get to my goal weight, I will probably not love my old clothes as I use to. I am 5 years older now, and even though I can't afford a new wardrobe, I will buy a little bit and fill my closet as I go along.

I kept a size 10 jeans (UK size) for inspiration and a few other things that I really loved when I was thin - But that is it. The lady I gave it to, will appreciate it a million times more than my closet.

One of the main reasons why I did it, is because I want to get all the clutter out of my life - I started with the clothes.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I have never had "thin" clothes. I swear, growing up, I jumped straight from kids sizes to plus sizes. I have bought a couple things though that may not have fit when I purchased them, but I like trying them on every now and then and seeing them fit a bit more and more.

As long as the thin clothes are ones you would still feel comfortable wearing once you can get into them, that's definitely not clutter. If nothing else, it could be seen as a good motivator.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for the reminder. My "thin clothes" are from the 1980's and are in a trunk in the barn. I doubt I'll wear them even if I do get down a lot because they are pretty outdated. Maybe the mice have enjoyed them.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

I kept them and many are very out of style now - but it feels SO good to put them on and now they are too big. I can't believe they were ever a goal . Of course like many women I have clothes from almost every size, so there are more thin clothes to work for, but it is very satisfying to "pass" through some on my weight loss journey!!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #13  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I had a pair of jeans that sometimes got hung up for "inspiration". That pair was supposed to motivate me for 2 years. Then one day I went through my closet and gave the jeans away because I had started WW and just didnt want the guilt of my old life. I wanted it to be a new journey and I didnt want to feel bad about my old weight. So I gave them away. I set my goal weight higher than i was at the time and I thought having them there would just make me feel like I needed to lose more weight. Well I ended up getting down to that weight! even without the "motivation". I honestly think it helped not to ahve those jeans haunting me!

I say, get rid of them if they make you feel bad.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #14  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I kept a lot of old jeans and other pieces of clothing over the years that were too small, for "just in case". Some of it was 10 years old or more. I finally got into them, then gave them away as they too got too big. I cleaned out my drawers and closets recently and gave away a lot of stuff, save for a pair of size 22 jeans and my old uniform pants (size 52) to remind me how far I've come, and for "progress pics" that I post every now and then on Facebook. I recently gave away all my plus-size clothes...the feeling was indescribable.

I say yes, hold onto your smaller clothes, they might be a good motivator!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #15  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I didn't have any thin clothes! I was always fat LOL!

I do sometimes buy something that is a size smaller, as an incentive for myself, but I tend to just purge the closet periodically and get clothes at a consignment store.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote