Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/139

Height: 5'10

Default Frustration!

I started my calorie counting and turbo jam workout about 2 weeks ago. I lost an amazing 6 lbs. in just a few days, and then 2 more lbs. a few days after that. I also lost 8 inches off my waist which made me overjoyed. But now I've gained two lbs back and don't understand the problem. I'm eating healthy, never eaten so many fruits and vegetables in my life, and have been meeting the 40/30/30 ratio of macro-nutrients that many other people use. What's going on? I'm at 1800 cal/day. Do I need to increase it, decrease it, keep it the same? I thought I would have lost more weight being as I weigh so much, and that I've cut out almost all soda & sweets. I cut out everything for a week and nothing, but I did relent and have a couple since Saturday. Which I do now regret...
I've been working out everyday, sweating up a storm. I feel better about myself for working out, but I'm upset about stalling. I also know that I'm weighing myself too much, my mother suggested once a week, but I'm so interested to see any progress. I'm just starting out, and was hoping early weightloss could be motivating. Help!
stacysreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

You're looking for too much, too fast.

It's normal to lose a pretty big chunk right off the bat - it's mostly water weight at first anyway.

8 lbs in 2 weeks is simply not sustainable. It's normal that you might gain back a few lbs - especially if you ate something salty or if it's near your TOM or any of a million other reasons.

At your weight, 2 to 2.5 lbs a week ON AVERAGE is normal.

And when I say "on average" I mean just that. I mean that some weeks you may lose 5 lbs and other weeks you may lose nothing and other weeks you may even gain a few back.

That's the way it works. It's the results over the long term that count the most - not the day to day changes.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #3  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Holy cow 8" off your waist with an 8 lb loss!!
Anyway Photochick is right on.
Most diets you don't lose weight or have a small gain in week 3 because your body is readjusting the water loss and glycogen stores.
If you started doing turbosculpt with weights or any weight training your could be retaining some water from the weight training. Have faith you are still losing and it will show up on the scales soon.
Sometimes I lose consistently .5 lb every day, then I might not lose anything for 5 days and then I will drop 3 lbs overnight. Sadly weight loss is not linear or as predictable as we would like- but you know if you are not cheating and working out so keep the faith!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Don't forget...working out leads to muscle gain and fat loss...muscle weighs more than fat, keep that in mind as well! Congrats on your loss...keep up the good work!

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/139

Height: 5'10

It's not that I expect to lose 8 lbs like that again...it's just that I lost that within the first week, and then nothing. The inches were a surprise, because I didn't even think that was possible. I thought maybe I took my initial measure wrong. I'm just a little confused as to why I've gone two weeks with no loss, and actually a 2 lb. gain. I'm hoping it is just the muscle.
stacysreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not muscle.

You cannot build muscle that fast - not without serious directed effort to do so and a diet that supports extreme muscle building (extremely high protein etc.). I work out with weights 3 days a week and protein load (1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight - or as close as I can come) and I'm not gaining muscle at that rate.

Again, weight loss is not linear and there are PLENTY of reasons you might put back on 2 lbs - water retention is the most likely. If you ate something with a high sodium content, if you didn't drink enough water to flush your system the day before, if you are within a few days of ovulation or menstruation, if the barometric pressure has changed since the last time you weighed yourself ... there are dozens of reasons that you might have gained back weight. It doesn't mean you've gained back fat - it just means that you're human like the rest of us!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Stacey,

I'm sorry to tell you there is much more frustration ahead on this journey. In the meantime...if you can't throw away the scale set yourself an "official" weigh in day and time. (First thing in the morning on whatever day of the week, or month, you choose.)

Fluctuations between weigh in days don't count...only the weight on the "official" day. This helps even out the daily fluctuations. Someone on here wrote that they look for a two to three pound range, and while they continue to fluctuate the range gets steadily smaller.

I'm sad to say that our bodies are not machines, so the logical thing (calories expended - calories eaten divided by 3500) should just be a mathematical formula to calculate how much weight we will lose at any given exercise or food level. It just doesn't work that way. I sometimes find that it can take a day or more for weight to show up after I have eaten too much, and equally as long (or longer) for the weight to drop.

Meanwhile you have lost an amazing eight pounds, a great beginning! Stick with this, it will work long term.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote