Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Default 10 pound fluctuation?

Has anyone else had this happen? I went on vaca for my birthday (2 days) and when I came back even though I was sure I had gained, I was down 2.5 pounds-yay! I hadn't weighed in for about a week, and except for those 2 days I was on my normal routine, pushing water a bit harder since it's been so hot here. But after a few days back into my routine, work, gym, etc the scale now says I'm 10 pounds heavier! I was so excited to have the first 10 pounds gone and now I'm kind of discouraged. Is it possible that it's TOM and that's all?
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #2  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

In my experience, yes, the scale can and does fluctuate with water weight quite a lot depending on some things. Some reasons for the bloat can be TOM, increased sodium, and even a tough work-out with weights. Or any combination of these things can add up and nudge the scale up temporarily.

For me, salty food (sushi with soy sauce for example), along with TOM can cause me to bloat up 2-8 pounds with water weight. Last month I went for a whole week near my TOM where I ate whatever I wanted, and drank whatever I wanted. By the end of just over a week, I had packed on 10 pounds! But, it was 98% water weight in my case and it all came back off the next week when I went back to eating right and so on.

I know this is easier said than done, but try not to get discouraged when you see these blips. They happen. Just keep doing what you should, ride it out, and the water weight will drop off pretty quickly. (It also takes an extra pound or two along with it as a bonus, too. )
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi! Probably not all of that is water weight. Sometimes a gain from vacation doesn't show up right away. I assume that since you were on vacation, you also ate more than usual. Anyway, get back on your plan--those extra pounds will be gone soon.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote