Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Can someone PLEASE explain !!!

I mentioned in my introduction earlier this week that I am on vacation in Cape Cod. My husband has been wonderful and we are walking 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles at night. I am eating healthy and low fat and I am not tempted by the midnight ice cream runs that my sons are doing. We are grilling veggies and salmon, chicken breasts and I am drinking lots of water !
WHY IS IT........that this morning my husband put on a pair of shorts and he could pull the waist out 2 inches !!!!!! He is losing weight and I feel no difference For a moment he had a smurk on his face but quickly mentioned that everybody knows that men lose faster. Well I am not happy and I could be the poster child of a weight loss program at this point.....even being on vacation. This is now so discouraging. Does anyone have an answer?
Thanks,
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Men, huh? It's ill-advised to judge your progress by a man's progress. Men and women's bodies are different, just as are women's bodies different from each other's. You really can't make progress trying to measure your success against someone else's. Only by your own actions and attitudes can you measure yourself! It sounds to me like you are doing fantastic, eating so healthy and going on walks on your vacation! I think that shows great strength of will. If you are determined you will take your husband's 2" in stride and keep yourself moving forward. Also remember, he may have lost weight in the gut, but where on your body might you have lost that isn't measurable by your waist band on your pants? You never know!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #3  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

He is right. Most men lose a lot faster and easier than women. Give it time and it will happen. Also if its hot enough to be wearing shorts you may be retaining fluid, or be bloated. Also depending on where in your cycle you are that could make you retain. I know its hard but try to not be too hard on yourself and keep up the good work. Also another thing depending on how much you weigh and want to lose can make a differnce in how fast you lose
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

The answer is not to compare yourself to others, particularly our husbands, because therein lies the path to madness.

Seriously though, everyone loses at different rates, and you are focusing on the wrong thing -- the scale! You should be thrilled at what a wonderful, healthy vacation you are having -- and you sound like you are ENJOYING it too! You are doing everything right, and you should be happy and keep going. You KNOW your body will eventually reflect the healthy changes, so now is not a time for feeling down and depressed. Now is a time for feeling good about all these positive things you are doing for your health!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-31-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you asking why men lose faster?

Men have higher metabolisms, mostly due to the fact that they have a higher amount of muscle and have the tendency to gain muscle while women have the tendency to gain fat.

Are you measuring yourself? Weight loss does take time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Men DO lose weight faster. It is a metabolic fact.

How to avoid getting discouraged? Lose weight for you, in competition with yourself only...otherwise, there is always someone you can compare to that is going faster, easier, etc, and you'll always feel like you got a bad deal.

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't have the time to read through all the above posts. I'd like to say that men lose faster but the main reason (from what I've heard) is their higher muscle mass. If you want to see faster results, maybe add some resistance training? Do lunges, squats, pushups, crunches, dumbells (or water bottles), etc. Focus on how well you're doing w/ your actions...the results will catch up. Think of the toritoise & the hare (sp?). Slow and steady wins the race....not that this is a race...is it? Enjoy your vacay!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I read somewhere long time ago that in order to lose weight, men need to modify their eating habits. Women need to modify their eating habits AND exercise. This shows you that women simply need to do more than men to lose pounds.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Keep going girl! I credit a lot of my 30 pound weight loss to brisk walking at night. Give it a week. I bet you have a lot more energy already though. Just keep it up. I swear by walking. Maybe speed it up a little. You are doing so great!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

My husband could simply stop drinking Coke (he had 1 or 2 a day) and drop 10 lbs in a week. Me? Not so much.

It one of the differences in our bodies. It sucks.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #11  

Thank you all for your quick replys and advice. Again "my guys" walked to the homemade ice cream store and I declined. I am on my way for another quick walk to a gift shop to buy myself something special. I realize that this is my first week and I am on vacation. I have no scale here nor any measuring tape. I will start with all that when I get home this weekend. My son told me that hidden in his closet somewhere are 5 pound dumb bells that I can use. I have about 50 pounds to lose and I am so ready to do it. Hope you will all still be here to keep me motivated.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #12  

Oh by the way................what is the favored diet plan? A structured plan or like me, just using common sense and eating fish, chicken, veggies and high grains, counting calories and staying under 1500 calories a day. I was told to keep low fat and low carbs and drink lots of water.
Thanks again !!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Many years ago I went to La Costa (a fitness resort that at the time was really more of a fat farm with golf attached.) The medical director spoke. He commented that husbands and wives come together. The husbands play golf, have a non-diet dessert and a drink or two, eat more than their wives. The wives stick to 600 calories and exercise. At the end of the week the wives are glaring at the husbands who have lost more weight.

It isn't fair. It is real. Don't compare, just stick with competing with yourself. You can do it! Congratulations on passing on the ice cream.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Favored diet plan? I love Weight Watchers. I don't do low carb. I love the fact that I can have my pasta and eat it too. I actually had two servings today. Now, since I pigged out on pasta, that might be mainly what I ate today and I don't have a lot of points left, but it was so worth it. The key to WW is serving size. I do try to focus on lower fat food, but I would never turn down a crisp slice of bacon or cheese sandwich.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Well if men lose faster because of more muscle then let's build muscle girls! I'm doing the BFL plan and I'm finding that I LIKE toning up and that the fat is going if it reflects on the scale or not. Muscle burns fat even when we aren't working out. We as women are cursed with more fat/less muscle, we have to eat less then men/husbands of course - about 30 percent less then what they have on their plates I've read. But through weights we can catch up with the boys@
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote