Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #1  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Aaaagh!

Well guys, I started out on my weight loss journey pretty well, I lost lbs weekly and didn't have cravings, binges etc.

Then it seemed about once a week I'd eat a little too much. Once a week...could be worse, right?? Now.. It's almost a daily basis and where once I had will power and control.. I'm starting to lose it entirely. I put on half my weight...and I just can't seem to keep to my plan. I'll tell myself 'tomorrow will be okay, ill eat a bit less and move on' but I just repeat the pattern.

The thing is I'm starting to think really negatively 'ah cant do this' 'im sick of this stupid diet' 'i cant be bothered anymore'

How do I get out of this rut? I want to start again but I just seem to obsess.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I know how easy it is to obsess, and I think it is not helpful at all, and will probably just lead to more binging. What is it that you really want? Do you want to eat more or do you want to lose more? Make it a simple question, find a simple answer, and then commit to it.

What is it that you really want?
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #3  
Burning it away

beth, I want to be healthy, lose weight and not obsess. But like I'll be sitting eating my breakfast and then think 'what should i have for lunch' and it's like i cant get food from my head. I try to distract myself but my thoughts return to food. I think it's an awful habit I've developed but I'm unsure of how to get out of it.. I need to start being stern with myself, there arent excuses.. I either want to lose weight or I dont. Cant have my cake and eat it..
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
beth, I want to be healthy, lose weight and not obsess. But like I'll be sitting eating my breakfast and then think 'what should i have for lunch' and it's like i cant get food from my head.
I had this problem for a long time too, and the way I solved it was by forcing myself to take a couple hours every weekend to prepare all my meals for the week. On Saturday I go to the grocery store, list in hand, and pick up everything I need. Then Sunday evening I cook everything for the week. EVERYTHING.

Sometimes I make a breakfast quiche that will get me through six days. Sometimes I buy oatmeal and add protein powder to it; that I can fix at work, so it's just grab and go in the morning. Sometimes I plan on yogurt with granola, but that's less transportable. On the days I work the late shift, I get to make a cheese and bell pepper omelet (my favorite!).

Lunches I cook sometimes, or I buy turkey slices and cheese and plan for a sandwich and fruit for lunches that week. Dinners are always something I cook ahead, whether it's consumed at work or when I get home.

Planning ahead is the only way I can keep myself from falling off. I even plan for my snacks, which is helpful in avoiding the junk people bring to work. I even eat on a schedule (breakfast at 8:30, lunch at noon, snack at 3:00, etc.) so that on those days I can't stop thinking about food, at least I know exactly when the next food is coming. It's a lot of work in the beginning, but it gets easier, and it's worth it to me to do that for myself, you know?

Last edited by thistoo; 05-08-2008 at 04:26 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #5  
Burning it away

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I had this problem for a long time too, and the way I solved it was by forcing myself to take a couple hours every weekend to prepare all my meals for the week. On Saturday I go to the grocery store, list in hand, and pick up everything I need. Then Sunday evening I cook everything for the week. EVERYTHING.
I started out by doing that, though it helped me make healthier choices I had no idea how much my calorie intake was so didnt lose weight. Then I started counting calories and not planning ahead.. so maybe I'll incorporate the two, I have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to give it a whirl.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

its worth giving it a try....
i never plan ahead....
i just eat what i feel like but make sure its good for me....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
so maybe I'll incorporate the two, I have nothing to lose.
That's what I have to do. I count calories (on Sparkpeople) but planning ahead for meals lets me know what I'm eating so I know how much wiggle room I have every day, if that makes any sense. It's just way too easy for me to overeat healthy foods, and if I go too crazy with the carbs (even the good kind) I plateau. So I plan ahead.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #8  
Burning it away

Thanks, me too! I feel alot less doomed to failure now. At least I haven't regained all of my weight.

On and upwards.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I totally agree with the planning thing.

I've said the same in other threads here. I sit down on Sundays and plan my menu for the week. Not just main courses, but snacks, etc. I actually have an Excel spreadsheet that everything goes into. Once I'm done with it, I print it out and stick it on the fridge.

Then I *never* have to think about food. I never have to think "oh my gosh - I'm hungry - what will I do for lunch???" Because I know exactly what I'll do for lunch. When I go to the office, I take snacks with me, packed into the little 1/2 cup size Glad containers or in snack baggies. So if it's snack time the only choice I have is .. pick one of these.

It makes Sunday evenings a bit of a chore as I package everything, but I've gotten it down to a routine that I can do in about an hour now .. and I'm ready for the whole week.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #10  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Then I started counting calories and not planning ahead.. so maybe I'll incorporate the two, I have nothing to lose.
Oh no, you do have something to lose. That sounds like a great idea, combining the two.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote