Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default diet?

i know ppl have different mindesets....
so, are you dieting or eating healthily....

i wudnt say im necessarily dieting....
as i eat most things, occassionally in small quantities....
theres nothing specific, noot even chocolates burgers and crisps....
that i have cut out of my life completely....
so yer just curious on ppls mindsets really....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm a calorie counter, so nothing is really forbidden--but there are foods that are not worth eating because of the amount of calories in them (and the poor nutritional value!). There are also foods that I avoid because they are triggers for me, and I have trouble stopping with them once I start.

I call it a food plan rather than a diet.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #3  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Honestly, even now I call it a "diet." I know some people go for the whole lifestyle change thing, which is true to an extent, but I still don't eat foods that I LOVE because they're absolutely horrible for me! It's a choice I make, so I can't really complain, it just makes it seem like a diet to me.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I would say that I am dieting vs. maintaining. My focus is still on creating a calorie deficit with the goal on losing weight.

But my diet plan is based on healthy eating and developing eating and exercise habits that I can maintain for a lifetime.

I would not say that I avoid certain foods but there are some that I basically don't eat right now because they are just not worth the impact on my weightloss goals

I beleive you can do diet and healthy eating.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #5  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm done dieting. I'm eating sensibly and hopefully healthy instead, watching my portions and eating very light at night. I still eat just about everything my family eats with one exception and that's potato chips. I just can't handle them in "normal" amounts so I don't buy them. I want to be able to do this the rest of my life. I also exercise about 5 or 6 times a week. I've lost 5 1/2 pounds this month and altogether since January 15 1/2 pounds and don't feel deprived at all. I guess whatever anyone eats is their "diet."
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

The trouble with "diets" is that we think of them as having an end . . . "eating healthy", "eating better", "making a lifestyle change" . . . or whatever you may choose to call it; helps to get across the idea that it is "forever thing".
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

I just try to eat healthily and if I have the occasional splurge, so be it. I just try to make sure that when I eat something splurgy it's because I want to, not because it's calling my name.
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Definitely a lifestyle change for me rather than a diet. When I diet, I reach goal and it is over and I gain the weight back.

This time, I only made changes that I will do forever.

Some changes I have made are:
  • Calorie counting - knowing what I am eating and in what quantity
  • Mindful eating - no eating while distracted
  • Portion control - weigh & measure realistic portions
  • Eat slowly - no inhaling food while standing in the kitchen
  • Eating balanced meals - I balance carbs/protein/fat everytime I eat instead of just daily
  • Eat often - ideally, every 2-3 hours
  • Keep healthy snacks within reach and less healthy foods out of reach. While no food is "off limits", I do try to do what is best for my body
  • Eat whole foods - less processed/prepared foods
  • Drink water in additon to other beverages

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-27-2008 at 03:09 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #9  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Definitely a lifestyle change for me rather than a diet. When I diet, I reach goal and it is over and I gain the weight back.

This time, I only made changes that I will do forever.

Some changes I have made are:
  • Calorie counting - knowing what I am eating and in what quantity
  • Mindful eating - no eating while distracted
  • Portion control - weigh & measure realistic portions
  • Eat slowly - no inhaling food while standing in the kitchen
  • Eating balanced meals - I balance carbs/protein/fat everytime I eat instead of just daily
  • Eat often - ideally, every 2-3 hours
  • Keep healthy snacks within reach and less healthy foods out of reach. While no food is "off limits", I do try to do what is best for my body
  • Eat whole foods - less processed/prepared foods
  • Drink water in additon to other beverages
Wow, what you are doing is VERY VERY similar to what I'm trying to do..almost identical. I did WW for little bit but when I stopped being on the program due to the financial issue, I had gained it all back and some more. This time, I'm trying to change my whole life style, not just do diet to lose weight and then go back to "old" life style again and gain all back.
Also, I read the script in your signature, which I love! I'm just wondering... do you do Weight Down program? I'm not, but I was just wondering. =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #10  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

CountingDown By the way, I saw that you were from Michigan. Where in MI are you from? =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am not looking at this as a diet; I think the most important thing about dieting is that you have a plan that you can do for the rest of your life, so for me this is a lifestyle change and is how I am going to do things from now on. At least for the forseable future, I will be counting calories. I am eating healthier and counting calories and fiber etc. and if I happen to lose weight while doing it (which I will if I am consistent), then that is great. I am doing this for my health: high cholesterol runs in my family, so do heart problems and osteoporosis. If I change from my poor eating to a "healthy lifestyle change", I can improve my chances of not getting those, along with losing some weight to boot! So, long winded explanation for: "I look at it as a lifestyle change".
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by taragettingthin View Post
Wow, what you are doing is VERY VERY similar to what I'm trying to do..almost identical. I did WW for little bit but when I stopped being on the program due to the financial issue, I had gained it all back and some more. This time, I'm trying to change my whole life style, not just do diet to lose weight and then go back to "old" life style again and gain all back.
Also, I read the script in your signature, which I love! I'm just wondering... do you do Weight Down program? I'm not, but I was just wondering. =)
LOL - I led a Weigh Down group about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I got away from the principles and with a change in jobs, slowly put on about 10 lbs a year (for 8 years).

I recently went through Faithfully Fit which follows some of the same principles and is a 40 day devotional guide. I really liked it and would recommend it to anyone looking for some spiritual support on their journey.

Oh, and I am in northern MI - up around the Cadillac area

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

This is how I see it for myself:
I'm eating better, moving more and becoming healthier.

I'm in the process of changing my life. However, I realize I was always be in that process. Unlike the typical "diet" mentality, (that always included much deprivation and no long term maintenance plans) this has no end. I like the eternity of it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote