Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #1  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Default help with binging!!!

I have just started my journey to a healthy life and I am very used to giving into cravings easily. I work in a bakery so it makes things 10 times harder. I always hear when you have a craving that it is okay to endulge yourself but only a small portion. My problem is that i feel this uncontrolable urge to eat junk... Cookies and fast food mainly. I cant eat just 1 cookie i want 8! or i dont just want a burger i want the burger, fries, chicken nuggets, and the shake. UGH its so frustrating that i feel i have no control. Any suggestions?
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome! I know exactly how you feel. There are people here much more ahead in the weight loss journey than I am, but I think the number one tip for me is don't take that first cookie!

It happens I used to work in a bakery also, and I understand the temptation. I'm not that into baked goods, but the smell was so enticing I couldn't resist, and I would eat anyway, even though I didn't enjoy it that much. The aroma of baking is irresistable.

I have also read that if you abstain totally you will eventually give in and binge. For me though, I think it's really important not to give in at all, because for me, I can't have one cookie, or one potato chip, or one of anything. For me, I need to remove all my favorite junk foods, and just stay away!
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

First of all, congrats on trying to make some healthy changes. I've struggled with binge eating for years (it's actually coming back pretty strong for me right now, so I'm trying to get myself back under control right now as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses0204 View Post
I always hear when you have a craving that it is okay to endulge yourself but only a small portion.
Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules that apply to everyone. Having a small portion does NOT work for me. It just makes me want more (and more and more). Some people can go to McD's and get a little burger and be done, but I can't--I get 3 double cheeseburgers and a shake. Some people can buy a box of 100-calorie snacks and have one pack each day to satisfy their cravings, but I can't--I end up eating the entire box (usually about 6 packs) in one day. Moderation just plain doesn't work for me and my brain. I'm too compulsive about food. If there is anything even remotely resembling junk food, I will have some and then just sit and think about it and think about it and think about it until I get some more, and continue this cycle until it is all gone (that is, if I didn't just take the whole container and empty it into my mouth the first time).

I believe if you don't have control over your portions, then you have to stop the problem before it starts. When I lived at my last place, I actually took a different route to work just to avoid driving past a McD's. At one point, I left all my cash and credit cards at home so I wouldn't be able to buy it even if I caved. I work in an office now, but I have, in the past, worked at restaurants and a movie theater concession stand. For me, I just had to avoid the food completely. One single tiny bite would lead to another, then another, then another, until I'd consumed my day's worth of calories in a matter of just a couple of hours.

When I worked at the restaurant, I actually brought my own dinner from home to eat there before my shift started. I would keep small snacks (often almonds) in my apron or in my purse for if I got legitimately hungry, and I would drink diet soda and water throughout my shift. During some periods, I did Phase 1 of South Beach, and that actually really killed my cravings for junk food so it didn't even bother me anymore (I know it sounds weird, but cutting out junk cold turkey makes you crave it less after a while).

Finally, have you checked out the Chicks in Control section of these boards? That's a whole section dedicated to controlling their food rather than being controlled by food. You'll get tons of support for binge eating there.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - what Jill said!

Some people can do the small portion thing. Others can't have a small portion without wanting more, more, more.

For some people (like me), small portions are possible with some foods, but not with others. The foods I can't eat in small portions (You'll hear people refer to these as trigger foods), I cannot have in the house or in front of me...period. That doesn't mean I can't have them ever again, for me, but it does mean that if I -really- want whatever it is, it needs to be in an extremely controlled environment where I only get that one bit (ie, splitting a single portion dessert in a restaurant, or buying a single sourdough roll, not the whole loaf).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Hi &

It's true what the above people have said. We often hear a lot of things about what is good for us to do, but it never applies to everyone. For many, indulging a little is possible, for many others, they must totally abstain. If you're finding that moderation isn't clicking, then it's time to try abstaining. It sounds like, for you, it might be easier to say no to the first one than the second and so on.

You can do this! Do check out the boards & post where you're comfortable.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I've been back on the wagon for about 2 months now, counting cals and portions. I am the same way -- once I start I often have trouble stopping. I hate it. What I've found (for me) is that the less I have of the sugary stuff, the less I actually want and crave it. I still do get that 'want something sweet' urge but not nearly as often. I'm working really, really hard on portion control and I've realized that an actual serving size of something will satisfy me rather than eating 1/2 a bag. Who knew! I'm trying to pay attention to what I eat rather than that mindless 'just because it's there' eating.

For lunch today I hade a LaTortilla wrap w/some red peppers, onion, chicken, lf sourcream and a bit of shredded cheddar. Seasoned it all w/some taco seasoning -- very yummy, very filling. When I was done, I just wanted something sweet. Fruit was not going to satisfy me on this one, I could tell. So I pondered and pondered, opening cabinets and rooting around. I settled on 1 serving (2 sheets) of graham crackers w/some strawberry preserves. 180 cals total. I didnt' want to eat the cals but I figured 180 of this and no more craving is better than craving all afternoon and giving in to more cals later on. The 'urge' for something sweet is completely gone and I'm done thinking about food till dinner.

Try different things to satisfy that urge, rather than the bakery goods. I know for me, I had to go cold turkey for awhile and the first couple of weeks were hard. Just digging down deep and sheer determination got me through. It does get easier as you incorporate healthier foods into your life.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
I've been back on the wagon for about 2 months now, counting cals and portions. I am the same way -- once I start I often have trouble stopping. I hate it. What I've found (for me) is that the less I have of the sugary stuff, the less I actually want and crave it. I still do get that 'want something sweet' urge but not nearly as often.
This is me, too. I strongly believe that SUGAR is the devil! It's soooo addictive, & the more you eat, the more you want. It has basically NO nutritional value whatsoever.

I am in Day 13 of my "no junk food" goal. I've done it before - cut sugary sweets from my diet (except for natural sweets, like fruit). I felt soooo much better NOT eating that stuff. My body thanked me for it by losing fat much quicker & by feeling better while doing it!

I know how difficult it is since you work in a bakery. I am responsible for the vending machines where I work... so there's the constant temptation of candy bars, powdered donuts, chips, crackers, etc. I can't say it's easy to say no, but when I get that hankering for "something sweet" - I NOW REACH FOR FRUIT. It really does help. Sometimes, I'll eat something sour, like a pickle or whatever, because the thought of candy after a pickle??? -blech!

Just keep trying. That's the secret to success in any endeavor.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You can also try some of the tapping techniques by Paul McKenna - http://www.mckenna.com/default.aspx
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #9  
Bikini Season :)

one thing that i do to help me with binges - before i put ANYTHING in my mouth i write it down and write down the calories - keeping a tally of how many calories i'm already at that day and how much what that binge would add...

it keeps everything in perspective for me!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote