Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/191/165

Height: 178cm

Default Hi

Hello, I am 20 and from Australia.
I weigh 89kg.

I was just wondering what do you think are the best snacks for me to be having late at night?? (I figure if I can't seem to give them up completely I might as well make them good for me)
I am on my third consecutive night of jogging and sit ups, and feeling great! dieting will be hard for me.
jennamac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I always run for baby carrots when I get hungry at night or sugar-free strawberry jello. I'm on Weight Watchers and they both have zero points. Good luck!
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Your in the right place!! Good luck!
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If I've eaten my allotted food and I'm still hungry and want an additional snack, I eat some air-popped popcorn. Lots of volume for fewer calories, and it usually satisfies.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #5  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Maybe it's because I live in a cold climate, but I can't do fruits and veggies just before bedtime. Oatmeal, cereal with warm milk (dairy or non-dairy), a banana, or whole wheat bread with a bit of jam are my late night choices. They even help make me sleepy!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #6  
Big Red One

S/C/G: 445/295/293

Height: 6'3"

Default 3Beans...

Everything that you described is starchy. All those foods will hinder weight loss. You need something light or nothing at all. I will eat some celery. But I try never to eat within 2 hours of me going to bed. The last thing you need is a lump of food in your stomach the entire night. I'm no expert, but I hope this will help.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

I don't have a problem snacking a little before bedtime. I agree that the choices/portions matter.

Popcorn is excellent. It's light, and I prefer "hands-on" snacky foods at night. A few dried apple chips are tasty. I also enjoy broccoli/carrots and a little light dip/dressing.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #8  
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Everything that you described is starchy. All those foods will hinder weight loss. You need something light or nothing at all. I will eat some celery. But I try never to eat within 2 hours of me going to bed. The last thing you need is a lump of food in your stomach the entire night. I'm no expert, but I hope this will help.
It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all, as you can see by my ticker. This isn't after all a description of what I eat all day, but rather of one snack that fits into my overall food plan. If I need to eat something at night starchier foods agree with my stomach better than fibrous vegetables. Doesn't stop me from having a salad for lunch.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Low-sugar/low-fat hot chocolate -- the kind that only has 20 calories. I sometimes even add extra powdered milk (for the calcium). The milk puts me right into la-la land!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If I am hungry late at night I eat a string cheese. (70 cal part skim mozzarella if you dont have string cheese in Oz)

Protein late at night is supposed to be helpful in aiding sleep and I do find that anything carby will have me wake up in the middle of the night hungry. Veggies or fruit alone would also have me waking up hungry.

Last edited by ennay; 01-23-2008 at 03:34 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Almost forgot! Sometimes I will eat 1 tsp of peanut butter. I don't know why, but it helps me not feel hungry!

I agree with 3Beans. Any food can become a hindrance - if you eat it in excess. All of the foods listed should be fine to eat at any time of the day, as long as they are fit into the plan. Some people like eating lighter at night, but others might prefer heavier foods in the evening. What really matters is calories in vs calories out and eating healthy.

Last edited by modkittn; 01-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #12  
Big Red One

S/C/G: 445/295/293

Height: 6'3"

If it works for you, then who am I to tell you otherwise. I just know that eating past 8pm does not work for me. I see that it hasn't hindered your weight loss at all and I apologize if I was over the line at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all, as you can see by my ticker. This isn't after all a description of what I eat all day, but rather of one snack that fits into my overall food plan. If I need to eat something at night starchier foods agree with my stomach better than fibrous vegetables. Doesn't stop me from having a salad for lunch.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #13  
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
If it works for you, then who am I to tell you otherwise. I just know that eating past 8pm does not work for me. I see that it hasn't hindered your weight loss at all and I apologize if I was over the line at all.
No problem at all! Different things work for different people.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/191/165

Height: 178cm

thanks guys! last night we had steamed veges for dinner and after we got back from our jog it was awesome to snack on the left overs before bed.
I really can't sleep well unless I have that snack/ I have also been having rice cakes with tomato or peanut butter on them. I have never had to try and lose weight before, but I have just gotten much too big for someone my height and age, it's really hard learning what and what not to eat. I haven't even formed a diet plan yet >.<
I don't know anything
except that excersize is needs to play a big role in my life from now on.
jennamac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hi Jenna

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Aussie! Good luck...this is a great place for advice and support.

As for late night snacking...I'm not a big one for it I tend to remain full from dinner or go to bed just slightly hungry but I will sometimes have a teaspoon of nutella or milo or if I have been baking a homemade (and reasonably low cal) muffin or biscuit with a cup of tea about 8:30. I tend to be in bed by 9:30-10pm anyway though. I'm a nanna these days!

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote