Back tracked - and how to get back on track?

• I back tracked. Majorly. I was doing so well, losing weight, had more energy then ever and then about July I just quit. I don't know why. It started with getting a deathly flu that lasted almost two weeks, then I was backed up with work in my business, my house and fridge became a mess, and I had to travel some.

So last weekend I cleaned my house and office completely, organized my closets again - and I'm feeling like I'm ready for a fresh start. I got on the scale and the "damage" of junk food and eating out and not exercising is +8 pounds, weight I worked hard to get off. I started this at 180 and now I'm at 176, it's so depressing, I was down to 168 and 166 on good days...

I had a goal of reaching my birthday March 4 at my fittest and best weight in years. So there's four months left, is it possible? Likely not the fittest but certgainly I can lose at least 1 lb per week if I focus - four months - 16 lbs and get down to 160, yet I'd really like to get to 155 for LIFE.

My clothes don't fit again, I know I messed up. But the past is the past, the key is not to back slide. So out with the exercise journal. Back to the 3-4 times a week of weight training that I loved. And 4-5 days of even 30 min of cardio. And calorie counting that I don't enjoy. Perhaps the 5 Factor diet that's popular.

Any ideas on how to get back on track? Anyone else done this after months of hard work?
  • Hey, you're back! You've already made the most important decision: to recommit!

I'm pretty sure that millions of people have had a similar backsliding experience, so that's normal. The important thing is that you're back in the game, back here at 3FC and back to work. Now get thee to the gym!
  • I think many of us have been in your shoes, numerous times in fact. Hey and only an 8 lb gain, not too bad if you ask me. Use these past few months as a learning experience. Remember how you don't like the feeling of having to start all over again, how you clothing doesn't fit as well - and move on.

Sounds like you're really ready to refocus, regroup and recommit. Which is a great thing. Nothing like going back to the beginning, dieting 101 as I like to call it, to get back on track. Good luck.
  • It's true, this time I "know what to do" at least, and it's not dieting 101. I thought it would have been worse then 8 lbs actually, before two weeks ago it probably was, I made myself just "stop" eating the junk food, quit drinking the beer, and quit whining. Likely there were a few more lbs there, that I didn't even dare get on the scale to see...

It's not just the clothes not fitting. The results of sitting around eating junk and complaining - it's mental too. I was on such an natural high from nutrition and exercise, my energy was soaring. And lately I didn't even want to move. It's like night and day.