Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

if you buy in bulk...i would recommend breaking down the packs into serving sizes using a scale. you'd be amazed how much (or little ) a serving is. Also, almonds and nuts are a great snack..however they are high in fat..therefore you really have to watch the amount...for instant my almonds i eat are 14 pieces for 170 cals....hmmm you'd be surprised how little 14 is LOL. I highly recommend eating more fresh fruit and veggies as snacks...low cals. Although if you are eathing dehydrated fruit (with no sugar) they are a good snack..as long as they are not high in sugar. As for the dairy issue..understood if you have a sensitivity. You should be making sure you are taking daily calcium supplement if not...very important in weight loss.

finally - i understand that you get frustrated/confused about calorie counting etc. as for weight watchers point system is is based on fat, calories and fiber. very similar to calorie counting. And in my opinion i find the info for calorie counting easier than WW. However, remember weight loss isn't easy in so many different. Weight loss does require discipline which means journaling (with whatever method). You may not think you are eating much..but you may be surprised. I don't think calorie counting is that hard once you get use to it. Try if for a month...after a while, you really do start to get an idea of what to do. I have found one important thing to help with weight loss is preparing in advance. I sit down either once or twice a week and plan the meals and snacks. Then it also hleps me figure out the calories. I always prep my snacks and lunch the night before so i remeber it and don't run to a fast food palce. I think you really need to start eating more filling (however lower cal foods). Celery, carrots etc. nuts and trail mix don't last long. And maybe Weight watchers would be eaier for you, but remember its also a coutnting type system. I just find that there's a lot more info out there for free when calorie counting. I think you really need to get out of the mindset that its too hard. You need to sit down and just try it for a few weeks. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #17  

Ok, but the fruits and veggies don't give me that "no hunger" feeling. It just makes me all the more hungier. Don't get me wrong, I love fruits and veggies, I eat it all the time. During the day, all it does is make me hungier. What can I do to ease that hunger? Reason I don't take a lunch at work is because I get out earlier, basically taking my lunch at the end of the day type deal. Fruits and Veggies don't have that protien that the body needs to keep going threw the day. Yes they are wonderful for you, don't get me wrong, but if I can't have the trail mix, which from the sounds of it is now useless to buy.. What can use to replace it that would tell my tummy it isn't hungry?
kazuyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

try some fruit/veggies with some small amount of protein like lean turkey, i would usually say low fat cheese but since the cheese is not going to work for you. or try haveing a small amount of almonds/nuts with your veggies/fruit. in addition try making sure you also get some fiber since its filling. that might help. Try eating lots of small meals, make sure you are having a good hearty breakfast that has some fiber and protien. I think its important to eat every 2-3 hrs, therefore keeping your metabolism high.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #19  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

It feels great not to be gaining anymore, that is the truth for me too! Good Luck, maybe see a doctor about medical problems, or switch up your fitness routine. Good Question though, but the calories are the end all be all.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #20  

I just checked out that fitday site. Not sure if I like the limited selections it has for activities.. But all in all, looks like I need some serious help. More so than I thought. I all the sudden feel really bad right now, didn't think what I was eating, was seriously that bad. I've tried all kinds of snack foods though, they always make me feel more hungry and want to snack more.

I don't know.. will have to figure something out.. not sure what.. Guess it's back to plain ol wheat thins for now.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #21  

Seriously thought I finally found something that was good for me, only to come to find out it's just as bad as everything else. I just want to cry now...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #22  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

KAZZY ~ What about a whole wheat sandwich (lean meat with lettuce); that's not too messy and healthy + an apple? Have a balanced dinner when you get home. Do you eat breakfast? If you skip that; it will make you more hungry during the day. A simple whole grain cereal with skim milk and some fruit is a good, quick breakfast choice.

Do you like yogurt or skim-milk puddings; can take one to work with a plastic spoon. How about cheese strings in a baggy; good protein with those wheat thins is more balanced! There are some other fruits that might make you feel fuller too, like a banana or some grapes, which are very portable to take to work. Just some ideas; don't get discouraged, there are hundreds of choices in the supermarket these days ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #23  

I just don't get how something as good as trail mix that is in reality good for you with all the minerals thats in them. They have all kinds of good stuff for you. Yet, it all gets trashed by the fat and calories... How can something that has all the good stuff in it, that the body does indeed need, but yet you can't eat it because in reality it's fattening. Makes no sense.

I'll think of something I guess. going to have to. But for now, i'm stuck with the trail mix this week for snacking. Seems like the more I try the more I fail. Just don't get it....
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #24  
Rosebud

Kazzy ~ you posted and left while I was typing my reply to you. I did the same thing as you; I thought trail mix was just the perfect snack food, protein and dried fruit, what could be better right? And, I just love it!

BUT, I soon found that I ate the whole bag in one day. Ooops! Turns out, that was over 1000 + calories just for snacks.

These ladies are not trying to make you feel bad; they are trying to help you becuz they genuinely care about you and want you to succeed.

I hope some of the suggestions in my post, above, can help you! ... ROSEBUD
Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #25  
Rosebud

Until you can get to the store to look for some other choices; just measure the trail mix in a baggy (1/3 cup), and have it only once a day. Try to take something else with it, if you can (fruit and veggie). You can buy cheese & crackers snack packs or granola bars for snacks; they are yummy too! Add a fruit and your OK!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #26  

Last edited by kazuyal; 10-23-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #27  

Sorry if I seem difficult. I seriously don't want to come off like that. For once I actually thought I was doing things semi right. I know you guys don't want to make me feel bad, in reality you didn't. I cut just about everything I used to eat out of my diet.

I just feel so lost right now. Feels like everything out there is bad for you in some fashion. The tears won over tonight so I'm going to take a chill pill and see you guys tomorrow. Just need to rethink everything once again...

kazzy ...

Thnx for the hugs

Whether it seems it like it or not, all the support here really helped me out.

Last edited by kazuyal; 10-23-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #28  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey kazzy,

Sorry things are so hard sometimes.

It's not that you're doing anything wrong--many trail mixes are nutritious. It's just that they are TRAIL mixes--originally made for hikers who can't stop and make a meal but need to eat. Hikers burn a lot of calories...

And it's not that you "can't have" any of it. It's as folks have stated already--you need to know how much you're eating.

Certainly it's better to eat a good quality trail mix than to snack on donuts all day!

The catch with weight loss is that most folks who have gained weight have done it by overeating all those tasty foods that we grew to love. So when trying to lose, it seems like we have to give everything up. In reality, we're changing our taste--learning to eat differently--finding new ways to be nourished. Yeah, we have to eat less! There's no way around it. But it doesn't have to be nothing but celery and skim milk.

Hang in there, kazzy! We want you to succeed!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-23-2007 at 06:41 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #29  

Thnx Jay

I got some good sleep and I'm feeling better. I'm going to start exercising twice a day. In the mornings, mostly streching and few other warm up stuff. In the evening when I come home, do some heavier exercises.

The more I think about it, I can't be doing that bad with the mix. I have a small sandwich bag, fill it up and that whole bag will last me most the week. By thurs I gotta fill it up again. Sometimes I don't even eat that much of it. My boyfriend says that there are less fatty mixes out there so when I go to the store I'll be a little more careful as to what mix I chose. Can probly even get some chex mix or something along those lines. Maybe throw some beef jerky in it for the protien. The info on the jerky I have seemed fair enough to keep. But I have to use what I have for this week. Don't like wasting food. And I found I have some wheat thins still so that works.

I think majority of the issue is I just need more exercises. The past few months have been pretty hard on me, so I haven't been able to stick to a real schedule for exercising. It's been mostly light stuff for streching before going to bed, to medium workouts. With that, I'm going to up the exercising a bit.

Is there a good place to start a journal? I tried the journals link but it told me they were not taking anymore people right now.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #30  
La Weight Loss Gold

S/C/G: 205/197/165

Height: 5'9"

I also thought I was being healthy choosing trail mix as a snack at work but one bag from our vending machine has over 9 servings at 120 each! I usually ate 3/4 of it and sometimes the whole thing! Yikes!!

I've since gone back to eating Zone bars. I don't know what kind of protein bars you have tried but I've tried a few and Zone are the best tasting I've found and are VERY filling. You can just eat half and save the other half for later. The chocolate coconut crunch and chocolate carmel cluster and my favorites. Good luck!
PrincessSasha is offline   Reply With Quote