Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default how do i know what's best?

I'm not sure how to decide which "plan" is right for me. I've been doing low carb for about 3 weeks now, I lost 10lbs immediatly, probably water, but since then have been at a standstill. How do I know if I should be doing calorie counting or something like that? Any suggestions?
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

The first couple of weeks are often the biggest losses. After that your body gets more used to the changes, and is probably just adjusting from losing so much so fast. Wait a couple of weeks and see if you start losing again, but don't expect 3 lbs/week. Average loss should only be a pound or two to be healthy. If you still aren't losing or you think that counting calories woudl be a better fit for your lifestyle, go for it!
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with rubberlegs. You have to give any program more time. Also, you have to follow the program exactly for best results! I'm not saying that you haven't been, but many people think that it "doesn't count" if they eat something off plan now and then--and it really does count. Anyway, keep going with the plan you're on for a month to six weeks and see what happens.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Well - review the plan and see if it is something you can do for life. That's what this is all about, really.
Thinking of it this way will rule out a lot of fads (eating cabbage soup for the next 50 years? )
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

P.S. I should have asked you this--are you on any low-carb plan in particular? Atkins? Or...?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Only YOU can decide what plan is best for, well - you.

You do want to find something that you can do forever. A plan that doesn't have a start and a finish - just something that you can continue. If you stop your plan and then go back to your old ways, then you will gain back all your weight and probably more.

I needed to realize once and for all that I needed to make changes that I could live with FOREVER. Cause' that's how long I want to be at a healthy weight for.

That meant forming some new habits. I plan all my meals in advance. I keep my home stocked with healthy foods. I keep the junk OUT. I've experimented with different foods and spices and recipes and have devised some great meals that I absolutely LOVE. Because if I didn't love them, well I couldn't possibly stick with this plan forever.

I DO count calories though. That's my version of portion control. I make sure to make those calorie count by eating very healthy foods, trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. Lots of vegetables, some fruit, and low fat proteins. I need to stay away from the carby stuff - like rice, pasta and bread and added sugars. Once I start eating that stuff - well I want and crave more of it.

Perhaps you'd like to take a look around the site here. There are forums on all different kind of plans. I highly recommend looking at the Whole Foods Lifestyle section. Lots of great stuff in there.

Congratulations on losing those 10 lbs. With a little patience, a lot of determination and a bit of tweaking every now and then, you're sure to keep on losing those unwanted pounds. Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I agree with other posters who say you have to find something you can live with. I don't know what the future holds for me, but I am enjoying lots of healthy foods, controling fat and portion size, but not restricting any food group. So far it is going well. I am not loosing very fast, but I am not suffering very much either. It's a trade-off!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #8  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yep, you need to find something that suits YOU. There can be 150 people saying "Atkins is the best, you'll lose weight super-fast", if you're a carbs-lover (and I by this I mean fruits/veggies/whole grains/etc, not pastries ), sooner or later you'll be totally fed up with a low-carb plan. And the contrary as well, of course. In my case, for instance, I *am* a carbs-lover; I've shifted my preferences from chocolate and pastries to fruits & vegetables, but it's still carbs; if I were to feel limited on those, I'd go crazy, and wouldn't be able to turn this into a lifestyle.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Listen to Robin. All you have to do is look at her avatar and know she knows what she is talking about. I too strongly suggest checking out the whole foods forum. Read SuperFoods by Pratt. It never hurts to be informed.
READ, READ, READ then take bits and pieces that work for you. I too could never give up my fruits and vegetables. But have given up breads and pastas and starches. Those are my trigger foods and I over eat them everytime.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote