Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Going to the Movies: popcorn and snacks...

I did it again, ate an entire buttered med size movie popcorn and some licorice at the movies. It's been my "bad habit" that I can't seem to break. I googled movie popcorn and read it's BAD, very bad, rediculous amount of calories.

Someone I googled on another site said: Butterless movie theater popcorn has almost THREE times the calories and about NINE TIMES the fat as our recommended lowfat microwave popcorns. And, the serving sizes are so huge that the nutritionals are astronomical! A medium popcorn (16 cups) sans "butter" contains about 900 calories and 60g of fat!

This can't be true can it? I love my movies and popcorn but it it really is I really do need to sneak in maybe two 100 calorie bags of popcorn and my own lowfat candies. I went to the movies twice last week and didn't lose as much weight as I was.

I read the book What Would Jackie Do? (Jackie O of course) and it was sort of cute, the part about how she'd sneak in snacks to movies. She was so careful of her weight, stayed within 5 lbs her entire life - but people like THAT don't go pig out at movies and I want to me more like THAT...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
This can't be true can it?
Yes, it is true.

Sounds like bringing your own snacks (or doing without food at the movies) is the way to go.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Eat before you go.

I know the smell of popcorn is enticing. However, they cook it in lard. I worked at a theater when I was in high school. I actually got sick of the smell of popcorn.

I won't fix it at home unless the grandkids are over. I have diverticulitis and it can be a killer for me.

Veggielover is right. Why spend for their overpriced food? Just make eating before you go a habit and I'll bet you'll see a big difference in your weight.

Better yet, try and break the habit of having to see a movie in first release. Rent them or download pay per view. Then you can control everything right from your own home.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #4  

I have to have something crunchy at movies, it's an addiction I'll admit... I did try eating before I went last time but still NEEDED popcorn. Going to movies has been a hobby of mine for a long time, it's relaxing to me and a way to get out, I'm self employed. I think I'm going to have to sneak in the 100 calorie packs and stop the 600+ calorie movie popcorn. I had no idea in the past how many calories I was eating at movies. And yes the money adds up too, it is rediculous what they charge.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote from veggielover:

I don't want to be like a movie star, I want to be real. I don't stay 5 lbs within my weight for even a month.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I have zero desire to be like a movie star, absolutely none. BUT, I most certainly would like to stay within 5 lbs for the rest of my life. I think that is realistic. I'm not sure what being a movie star has to do with that particular "goal" so to speak. I mean if you're not staying within 5 lbs, then it can so easily escalate to 10 and 15 and ........ I don't even wanna go there.

As far as the movie popcorn goes, oh yeah they use tons and tons of oil. Probably why it tastes so darn good. But, ya know what those 100 calorie packs of popcorn taste pretty darn good too - and the bonus is you get to stay on plan. You get to actually have your popcorn - and eat it too. It's a win-win situation.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
I have to have something crunchy at movies, it's an addiction I'll admit... I did try eating before I went last time but still NEEDED popcorn.
Well, only you can decide what you "need" or "have to have" more, and what is ultimately more important to you; changing your dangerous habits and healthfully losing weight while not feeling guilty (as you have expressed guilt about this in several threads) or your continued habit of eating what you always end up regretting afterwards, and often forcing yourself to vomit it up.

I think that I'm not the only one who has concern for you. I hope you are able to make a healthy change for both you and for your son.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I have to have something crunchy at movies, it's an addiction I'll admit... I did try eating before I went last time but still NEEDED popcorn. Going to movies has been a hobby of mine for a long time, it's relaxing to me and a way to get out, I'm self employed. I think I'm going to have to sneak in the 100 calorie packs and stop the 600+ calorie movie popcorn. I had no idea in the past how many calories I was eating at movies. And yes the money adds up too, it is rediculous what they charge.
You know what I do? I buy reduced fat pringles. 17 of those is only 140 calories! So i pop 17 into a ziplock bag and bring it to the movies. I have to, cause i'm a movieholic too. I go once, sometimes twice each weekend. Since Diet coke is the only pop the offer, sometimes i'll buy a bottled water and sneak in one of my Crystal Lite singles to add to that.
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

MMMM movie theater popcorn!

I don't find it hard to believe that it's that full of fat. I know how it's cooked because I also worked at a movie theater in high school - it caused me to not eat popcorn for 2-3 years. The smell alone nauseated me; the job was ****.

As for movie stars... most of them was WAY too thin. The camera also adds ten pounds (really, truly, it does - I should know, I've been on TV and in the big screen, though obviously not in any kind of memorable or lead role). I'm an aspiring actress; I've made a dent in the Hollywood scene, which is more than some can say, though I haven't even been to any casting calls since my weight gain. I've gotten invitations but refused to go until I lose weight.

While saying that, I don't want to become disgustingly skinny. As my caption says, I'm aiming for a body similar to that of Jackie Warner (Work Out on Bravo). I just don't want to be FAT anymore, and want to be under a size 6. Now, I know the Hollywood standard seems to be a size 2, but I already know from past experiences that I look like a borderline junkie at a size 2.

I certainly hope that in the next few years, stars will start a body rebellion where they will maintain a HEALTHY, realistic size and weight and set a positive example for women. For every action, there is an equal and opposite REaction - if you observe the Hollywood trends all across the board, they variate, then deviate. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the body-positive revolution.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #9  

Jackie O wasn't a movie star, I was just quoting her because she was so healthy, beautiful and ahead of her time. She did yoga before it was fashionable and she watched her weight her entire life, was a health nut before all of these health food stores. My mom who's about to turn 70 is the same way - was decades ahead of her time. It's just funny that even someone like Jackie O who was so refined, would sneak snacks into a movie, she wasn't about to touch that stuff. And my mom who's been within 5 lbs of her ideal her life too once went to the movies with me asking "can this stuff kill you?" So it's true people like Jackie O or the real version, my own mom would NEVER touch movie popcorn. In a magazine out this month - Self I think - it had a poll of men with pictures of three women, one skinny, one athletic (jessica B) and Marilyn Monroe and the vast majority chose Marilyn Monroe, a size 12! Actually I think in recent years the waif thing has been on it's way out and the more athletic figure is in. Anyways I didn't puke up my popcorn at the theatre either. I'm not going to do that anymore.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Anyways I didn't puke up my popcorn at the theatre either. I'm not going to do that anymore.
Yay! That is wonderful to hear!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Well, whatever you can do to NOT eat the movie theater stuff, do it. You'll find as you avoid those foods more, you won't want to have them so desperately--at least that's been my experience. And if you do have some after you haven't had any for a month or two, you'll find it just isn't as good as you thought it was.

I often take my own snacks to the movies--maybe buy a Diet Coke--or I do without. Sometimes just having a breath mint is enough to get me to the start of the movie--I mean, I used to finish the popcorn before we got through the "coming attractions"...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I bring my own crunchy snack to the movie and avoid the lines, the cost and the fat that the movie popcorn is famous for!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #13  

It might hurt, but just quit popcorn. Psyche yourself up, go see a movie, and just a diet soda. I used to eat candy when I watched films, but a couple of snackfree trips and I broke the habit. Make sure youre choosing films you are actually entranced by so you dont notice the lack of snacks.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

Another option, only bring enough money in your wallet for the movie ticket. Then you CAN'T buy anything no matter how much you want to!
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I only go to the movies once every blue moon because the tickets, food and drinks are soooo expensive. When i do go, i sneak a diet coke in thru the huge purse i seem to carry around with me all the time. lol. I don't really miss the popcorn that much, but i do tend to get thirsty and refuse to spend $4 on a diet soda.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote