Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #1  

Default Set points and plateaus

Hi everyone

I havent been here for ages but last year I started a diet and lost 50 pounds. I kept a food diary, went to the gym and gave up eating too much chocolate. It wasn't easy but it was ok.

Over Christmas 2006 I put on a few pounds and thought 'no problem, I know how to do this now.'

Well since then I been basically stalled. I started weighing all my food to check portion sizes and discovered I was eating 2000 calories a day rather than the 1500 I'd thought. I dropped calories, which didn't work, then dropped them again and so on. Now I'm eating 1500 calories a day and not losing anything.

I had my thyroid tested which is fine. I upped my exercise at the gym including weights.

The thing is that the weight I am now I was for 10 years before I put on the 50 pounds. 10 years!!!

Is there such a thing as a set point? It this point harder to get through because my body is used to being this weight? Or do I just need to accept that I have the slowest metabolism in the universe (considering how much I weigh now), drop my calories further and raise the exercise?
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Before we answer I'd like to ask you a couple of questions, if that's all right, to try and get a better feel for what's going on.

How long have you been at 1500 calories for? What TYPES of food are you eating? Carbs, veggies, protiens, fats? Just how much exercise are you doing and how often? How active are you besides the intentional exercise?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #3  

How long have you been at 1500 calories for? Feb March 2000 cals - weight going up, April and May 1700 cals - weight going up. June 1500cals - weight staying the same.

What TYPES of food are you eating? Carbs, veggies, protiens, fats? Fresh food. I can't eat gluten so mostly meat, veg, potato/rice. Lots of fruit. Salads. Its works out about 25% fat/19%Protein/56%carb.

Just how much exercise are you doing and how often? How active are you besides the intentional exercise?
For the last year (except this month) Gym 3 x a week for an hour each time. Weights and cardio. This last month started a new job on a campus which means lots more walking so add in about 30-40 mins of hilly walking per day but have not been able to get to gym. So that must be a factor.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

In my opinion, your percentages seem to be out of wack....I keep mine at approx. 20 % fat, 35% carbs, 35% protein. I think you may need to lower your fat and up your protein. Not every day of mine will look this good, but i try for more days than not. I also keep my calories at about 1200-1300...but i weight less so i should be able to do that. I think 1500 should be a good place for you. Are you losing any inches with all that walking your doing??? Do you measure yourself??? I measure and weigh myself all the time.That way i know if the scale isn't moving, the tape measure should!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yeah, I would up the exericse. Find something that you can do every single day, even if it's just for 20 - 30 mins to start with. A nice brisk walk. Some DVD's. Or just put on the radio and dance like crazy for 1/2 hour or so.

You might want to also cut back on the potatoes and rice and add in some more vegetables. Maybe a little more lean protein - chicken breast, fish - including tuna, turkery breast, egg whites. Fat free yogurt.

You also said that you started the 1500 cals in June, well depending on when in June it was, that may not be all that long. Give it a bit more time. Really, REALLY stick with it and it WILL come off.

So no, to answer your original question, I don't really think that your body has a set point at 258 lbs. Hang in there. Things will happen for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I absolutely believe our bodies have a set point. Meg is doing a book conversation about that right now with the book Rethinking Thin. I know MY body has a set point. I can eat a lot, i can eat a little, but i know by what the scale says that when my body hits the 260-250 mark, i will stay there FOREVER. I have basically been at that weight since i was a teen and i am in my 30's, very few times have i come out of that 10 pound zone. When i do come out of that zone i have to eat like crazy to get above 260...my binges. Then i have to cut calories like crazy and exercise like a mad woman to get below 250. Everytime i have ever platuead during a "diet" it is at the 250 or 247 point. My body just naturally wants to stay in that zone...unfortunately.

Now with that being said, that does not mean that you cant surpass that set point. I have done it...i have gone way below my set point twice in my life. I didnt keep it off for very long either time. But that is because i gave up. If i would have kept up what i was doing i could have stayed there. So at least i know it can be done.

The only thing i know to do is stick to it. Keep a constant watch on your calories and keep your cardio up. I think exercise is the key to getting past your 'set point' or platuea. The way i understand it, your body is fighting you, your metabolism is slowing to keep the weight on...so you have to fight that metabolism with all you've got...cardio works best for me. Then i have to eat fewer carbs too. Lots of lean meat and veggies....a lot less bread and pasta and rice.

To me, this is something you and I will fight the rest of our lives. Our bodies will always fight to get back to that set point. If that werent true we would be able to eat like those that weigh 130, and never have to think about what we put in our mouthes. We will never be able to eat like our naturally thin friends and just not worry about what we are eating. We will always have to fight our metabolism. If we give up that fight, we will gain the weight back...i know this is true, i have done it. I gave up last time and i pray i can be stronger this time around.

Good luck to you. Be strong and keep on fighting.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings! Glad to see you are back on track, coley144.

I agree with other posters--shift your percentages. My target percentages are 30/40/30 protein/carb/fat.

I also agree with increasing exercise--3 times a week is OK for maintenance, but you need to do more to support weight loss. I walk every day, and I go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week. You may not have to do that--but, say, up it to 4 days a week, and walk every day.

You'll see! Weight will drop! Try it for 2 weeks and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #8  

To lose weight, you need to do 60-90 minutes per day, 6 days a week. For health, 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

I agree with the other posters - too many carbs and not enough protein. Eat whole grains, potatoes and white rice are not the best. Sweet potatoes and brown rice are better.

I've had lots of experience as you can see and I know you can get below your present weight if you eat a well balance diet and exercise - and I've kept if off 30+ years doing the same.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Susan!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Wow susan, that is great that you have kept it off that long. You show me that not only is there hope to defy that set point, but there is more than hope...you prove that it CAN be done.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #11  

Thanks for your responses. I will try stepping up the exercise and protein. Whole grains are hard as I can't eat most of them but I do eat brown rice. I'll give sweet potatoes a go. Also I'll measure again with the tape measure and see if something is changing.

We're going to set up the garage as a gym once we move so I'll be in there every day. That should help!

And thanks Stacey for your post. Made me feel less alone.