Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #1  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Unhappy Struggling with my eating today

Today is a bad day for me as far as my eating goes. I did ok with my breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 a banana with an 8oz cup of milk. I struggled to eat my first snack I had no appetite to eat it and only ended up eating 1/2 of it. Same problem with lunch I struggled to make myself eat a few bites. I am struggling so hard to get my calories over 1200 a day. Maybe I am trying to hard to fast and my goal for calories is to high after 3 yrs of being so low. I don't know. I am trying very hard but it seems my mind is getting the better of me today. I don't wanna give up on my goal. And I am trying hard not to get discouraged but I just don't know what to do with these feelings. Any advice or tips from someone who has been in this position. Or just some encouragement to get over this huge hurdle.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #2  

Before I can offer you my amateur but very well intentioned advice...I'd like some clarification.

When you say "no appetite" do you physically mean no appetite, or do you mean that mentally you don't want to eat, as later in your post you say your mind is getting the better of you..is this a mental problem? Have you had / do you have an eating disorder?

My other question - why has your calorie intake been so low for so long?
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  
We can do it.

Do I have an eating disorder not that I can say. Its been so long for 3 yrs mainly because of the kids. When I feel stressed I have no desire to eat. All week long I have had a good appetite but today its like bam nothing. As far as do I physically feel hungry no. My stomach is not growling or anything I just have no desire to eat today. I don't know if its mental or not.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

How about adding in healthy foods with high calorie values? Almonds, peanut butter, whole grain items, regular yogurt instead of light, etc. This would help boost your calorie intake and you would still be eating healthy. Just make sure to get in all your veggies in there too.

And don't forget exercise! Its a big de-stresser. And if that is why you are not eating, going for a 15-20 minute walk could help a lot. You could even get the kids to go with you and make a family thing out of it!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

I agree with you that it can be hard certain days when you just don't feel like eating. To be quite honest, I've never experienced such a feeling for longer than 3 days, so I'd say, if you continue with this, you might want to consult your healthcare professional.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is one we don't get very often!

Probably your body just needs to get used to having 1200 cals. Don't force yourself to eat--that would be counterproductive--but do try to increase your calories overall so you reach 1200 average. If you aren't hungry for a snack mid-morning--don't have one! Instead see if you can add some nuts or foods like that (as modkittn said) to your lunch. Easy does it... no rush!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #7  

Okay, I'm no professional either, but your post is really disturbing. Red flags all over. If you haven't mentioned this to your doctor you really should. You really may have an eating disorder or at least an anxiety disorder that could be helped. The fact that you are overweight and trying to lose but are having trouble keeping your calorie count high enough doesn't add up. Are you possibly a binge eater? If you have a problem its okay to admit it here. That's why we are all here is to have a safe place to voice our difficulties that others around us may not understand.

Mary
Justforme07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #8  
We can do it.

No I am not a binge eater. I am sorry that it does not add up that I am overweight and trying to lose weight but can not keep my calories up. It is how it is. Its not like I make a conscience choice not to eat. Its not like I wake up and decide I am not going to eat today. Its just what happened.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #9  

A note here, for those who may not be aware:

When you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode. You aren't getting enough fuel for it to function, so it hangs on to everything you put in it. This can cause weight gain. It sounds weird, but it DOES happen. In order to lose weight, you need to be taking in enough calories to fuel your body for your daily activities without going overboard.

Editing to add:

If you increase your intake in food or do eat higher calorie food and still aren't seeing a loss (give it a week or two!), I would see a doctor. It might also be worthwhile to seek help from a counselor or other mental help professional just because of your stress amount. I see one every 2-3 weeks for stress, and it really helps. Stress can also keep you from losing weight (and not just because it is making you not want to eat). Taking away that obstacle can be a huge help in your weight loss journey (not to mention your overall happiness!).

Last edited by modkittn; 06-23-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #10  
Yes, indeed.

S/C/G: 176/170/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm having this problem, too. My calorie intake today is slated for around 890 (had tuna salad on crackers for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, chocolate milk, SF FF banana cream pudding and Lean Cuisine on the menu for dinner) ... I don't really know what else I could eat. Everything I have that I would like would add more fat and carbs, which I don't want. And I already feel like I've eaten excessively today.
cupcakesundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/188/120

Height: 5'3

i think you do need to give your self some time going up to 1200 or a bit more calories a day. in the past i have been one who would eat only one time a day. i would drink coffee all day now i got calories from it but not good ones at all but always thought i did not have time to eat, ya know sahm of three girls there is always something too do. but really all this did was cause me to eat too much at dinner and to be overweight too. now i have moved up too 1400 calories a day and one cup of coffee and wow do i feel better!!! and better then that i am losing weight. now i keep telling my self things will be there i have to take care of me so i can take care of everyone else too. you can do it just remember one day at a time = one pound at a time.
adah
milleradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #12  

cupcake - how about something other than a frozen dinner for your meals? I bet that would help increase your calorie intake! Carbs and fat CAN be good for you. You just have to eat the right kind and have moderate portions. I would be starving I think if I had a day like yours!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #13  

Just want to add, this thread might help some of you who are finding it hard to get all your calories in:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115493

People posts their food plans/journals. May give you some good ideas.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

cupcake, I eat a lot of Lean Cuisines, and I have no trouble getting up to the proper amount of calories. Substitute better foods! Fat free, sugar free banana pudding has virtually NO nutrition in it!

You need to have some fats in your foods--good ones, no trans fats--and you need to have complex carbohydrates. I eat extra vegetables with my Lean Cuisines, and if I have a salad I have 1 Tablespoon of regular, olive-oil type dressing on it. That's not too much fat and it's good quality. I also eat other complex carbohydrates like Triscuits. I track my nutrient percentages in FitDay, and try to stay with 30/40/30 for protein/carb/fat. You need to eat more food, more real food.

need2lose, take what you find useful in these posts and leave the rest. There is no reason to make this a big deal--just gradually work your way up to eating more, the way you might gradually increase your exercise activity. As one poster said, you'll probably find you feel better.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Weight Watchers and several other sources say that starvation mode is a myth. Specifically, it's a myth that lowering calories will cause you to GAIN weight. It IS true that as you eat fewer calories and lose weight your metabolism naturally slows ... but not enough to make you gain weight.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote