Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Do you read other's FitDay

I like to do that. I look at some of you who have lost 100 lbs and have the upmost admiration. I like to look at the FitDay to see what you are doing. This includes eating as well as exercise.

I really wish I could eat 1800 or 2000 calories a day and still drop. However, at my age (3 days older than dirt), I can't. I was thinking I could but nothing was happening for me. I'm now playing around with 1400 - 1600. I'm going to give that a bit to see if that is where I should be. I've read on here that we shouldn't start too low because we won't have much room to cut down more as we reach goal. If this cuts 1 - 2 lbs/wk, I'll be happy.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Yes I do, it helps me see if I am doing ok, and also I may see something new to eat and go out and try it. I was supposed to start out eating something like 1900 calories a day,lol couldn't do that, so I have brought it down to 1500-1700 a day. I have noticed if I go to low( under 1400 calories) I get sick feeling, weak and tired, so I try not do go under that and feel I am doing ok. I don't use fitday anymore, but switched to mydailyplate, because it includes alot of prepackaged food, and I find it helpful.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I read yours!

Generally, I'll take a peek if it relates to something that someone has posted. I don't track my exercise in mine, though....its a pain.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

If I see someone having a lot of success at losing weight, i'll check out their fitday to see what they are eating. Sometimes it's just interesting to see what other people eat and how their proteins, carbs and fats all equal out.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I read yours!

Generally, I'll take a peek if it relates to something that someone has posted. I don't track my exercise in mine, though....its a pain.
AH HA! I thought you were losing all that weight WITHOUT exercise! I was so jealous!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Sure, sometimes ... always if the poster asks ... especially if they are stalled or think they're losing too quickly.

I'm appalled at what fitday says for most folks activities. It's ridiculous, calorie-wise. But you can use it to track. In reports you can see that you walked five days last week or 200 minutes last month. So it can be useful ... sorta ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

What I am astonished by is how little many people EAT! Particularly in the Featherweights, a lot of people seem to be logging only about 1300 calories a day, and less on many days - and from their posts, they seem to be active sorts. I could never maintain my activity level on that little food.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I like to look at other people's FitDay logs. It's interesting to see what they eat. I agree with SusanB that Fitday's calculation of calories burned during activities is generally way off. And I agree with Su-Bee that I'm surprised to see many people eating, like, 1300 calories a day. 1500 is about the lowest I can go and remain sane.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I read them, when I can...so many times I will click on someone's "link" only to read that "this user does not have a valid account" or something to that effect. How irritating!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Su-Bee,

The number of calories one can eat to lose weight depends on size and age (also gender). Older people do not have as high a metabolism, and smaller people need fewer calories for daily activities.

1300 cals is not really that low for an older person when they are close to normal weight--not to lose weight. It would probably be low for maintenance, but again, it depends on age and activity and size.

I have to add in exercise just so that I burn enough calories to be able to eat over 1200 and still lose an average of a pound a week. Without exercise, I would lose weight more slowly--or I'd have to go below 1200, which isn't a good idea for anyone without a doctor's monitoring.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 06-14-2007 at 06:38 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #11  
Mel

I only look at someone else's fitday when I'm asked to specifically or if they generally ask for comments.

I only sporadicallly log my own food these days, and never enter the exercise. Often I stop logging food before the day is over, so it may appear that I've only eaten 800 calories.

I'd be THRILLED to lose on 1600 calories! Even with a lot of exercise, tha's slightly above my maintenance level. Age and size really matter.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #12  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

I really love looking at other people's fitday... but usually only if I found that person's post interesting lol, otherwise, I don't bother!
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

cbmare - see "Exercise Accountability" thread. Also, signature with exercise ticker of 1400-1600 min per month.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I generally don't look at other people's Fitday stuff. I certainly learn a lot from what people post on the board, but I don't really have much of a desire to know specifically what people are eating. That's mostly because I've always been kind of a picky eater (yes, a picky eater who became obese!) That's why I never could follow a diet that told me exactly what to eat, because there are so many things I just don't care for. I've opened my eyes to a lot of new foods over the years, certainly, but I'm still very specific in my likes and dislikes and I just don't really think I'm going to find anything terribly useful in what other people are eating or not eating.

If I ever run into a plateau and nothing else breaks it, then I might start looking at what other folks are eating and see if I can get some ideas from that. Luckily, I haven't really had that issue, though. Any weight loss stalls or slow-downs have simply been due to my going over my calories for a day or two. Until my body decides to prove me wrong, I'm going to continue believing that sticking to what I'm doing works and I don't need to do what anyone else is doing!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Sometimes, but lately I don't have much time to do anything but run on and take a quick survey of the new threads and logoff. If someone specifically asks everyone to look at their fitday and make suggestions, I'll usually glance at it to see if I can offer any suggestions. I have had a few people ask to see my fitday, but I use FitdayPC, so I can't make it public.

I'm not really picky, but I know what I'm willing to do to lose weight and what I'm not (yet) willing to do, so I wouldn't say that I've found it very helpful for ideas for what to eat. I do sometimes get ideas for different foods to try from the threads though, just not from other people's fitday.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote