Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Veins?

I have these bluish, slightly bulging veins up in my upper thigh area. Then I have these small little veins that are purple in my outer knee area and at random places throughout my body.

These are varicose and spider veins? What is a good way to get rid of them? Is there any lotions or anything?

I know that you can get saline shots, but that doesn't keep them from coming back.

Is it from my weight?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

It is probably because of your weight.

Sorry to say this, but, like stretch marks... they're with ya forever.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yeah, I have a few of those spider veins as well. It sucks, but you can't really do much about it.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I read somewhere recently (sorry I can't site source!) that crossing your legs a lot can also contribute to these *uncrosses legs now*. But yes, once you have them they are with you forever, I believe
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I have spider viens. There is a doctor in my town that now can take care of those unsightly veins using a lazer treatment. He can even get rid of varicose veins. After I lose my weight I am going to look into it. I know our health insurance at work actually covers it. I don't know if i can get rid of my big blue veins because i think my veins are just real close to the surface and i am very fair skinned, but I am definately getting rid of my purple spider veins but not until after I lose the weight. I don't want to make them come back because of my weight. I suggest if you have health insurance or they really bother you, go see a dermatologist. He can probably refer you to someone.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 279.8

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone.. But I have read that you can prevent getting more.. Unfortunetly I cant remember which Vitamin it is that helps blood flow... Its not like Vitamin E or anything like that.. Im thinking it might be Grapeleaf or Grape Seed... Something like that.. but I remember my sister taking them for the same reason.. I also have them and my doctor said its from having a job that I stood for long hours... Im sure my weight didnt help matters any..
needinsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I remember a few years back there was a branded herbal supplement (veneva?) that was supposed to help with veins, believe the "active" herb was horse chestnut (which I'm sure is distant/no relation to actual chestnuts).

But like all other herbal "remedies" and their health claims, something to take with a grain of salt & if using, make sure to get from a trusted source since it's not FDA regulated.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

I have always had some spider veins, starting in Middle School when I was really not overweight at all (maybe I was a bit above average, but I was tall). It is probably because of my fair skin.
I've asked quite a few doctors about them, and they say that lasar treatments can work, but sometimes those leave scars or marks in place of the veins, so I'd rather just ignore mine. I did just recently read that Dry skin brushing helps reduce their appearance, so maybe google that and try it??
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

The small ones sound like spider veins, but the bulging ones sound like varicose veins. The only way to get rid of them is to have them stripped (it's outpatient surgery and from what I understand~painful.) Unfortunately, if you plan on getting pregnant after you have it done; they will come back.

My old roommate had them REALLY bad (varicose), partially from genetics and partially because she was a waitress. They went all the way up her leg and cause her a lot of problems. Do you have any pain associated with them? I would have a doctor look at them, just to be on the safe side.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think they're mostly about genetics (and circulation, probably). I started to get big ole ugly clumps of spider veins when I was 13 and very skinny. I still have them and I go through periods of HATING them and not caring. (That usually depends on my weight though )

Any doc who does laser hair removal should be able to zap the veins too. I asked a doc once and he said it would probably cost between $700 and $1000 to get rid of them all.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #11  

I think overweight has to do with them, but genetics play an important role too.
My mother takes these meds the dr gave her that help circulation (here in Argentina itīs called Venastat) but he said the best way to prevent them is sports and physical activity.

So my advice is: for the ones u already have you have to go to the doctor and have a treatment, to prevent new ones circulation meds and SPORTS!!

Agus
agustinaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #12  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Spider veins are hereditary. My mom has them, and she struggles to keep her weight UP to 110 lb! Unfortunately, I got 'em, too. Blah. You can get various cosmetic treatments for them, but creams won't work.

As for varicose veins, a doctor will be able to help you out there. Those can be aggravated by weight.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Actually, I had them once, the first time I was fat... they magically disappeared in a span of months... or years... I don't know, I just realized they weren't there.

Stretch marks can also magically disappear... after the first time I was fat and lost a lot of weight quickly, my stomach had these disgusting stretch marks. They faded with time.

This time around, luckily, I have no varicose veins or stretch marks. It's funny how I reached my highest weight at 175, yet I looked SO much bigger 5-6 years ago at 160.

Spider veins are sometimes hereditary... but if they're weight-induced, there IS hope to get rid of them when getting thinner.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #14  
Mel

My spider veins on the inside of my knees disappeared gradually when I lost weight and got in better shape. Once the larger ones have "varicosed", I think they can only be dealt with medically. However, losing weight will drastically improve the way they look and probably prevent new ones for many years.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Weight is a factor and when you lose, they become less noticeable. But if you are on your feet a lot they won't get any better, my DH is on his feet 14+ hrs a day, most days of the week,8 months out of the year and he has horrible looking veins because of it.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote