Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/178/140

Height: 5'2

Default How many calories are too few?

I am starting to get concerned that I may not be eating enough calories even though I am careful to eat every 3-4 hours. This has been my typical menu

Breakfast:

2 scrambled eggs

Snack

1 piece of fruit Apple, orange, banana, or some cantalope

Lunch

Soup - typically a can of Progresso or some homemade turkey chili

Snack

Another piece of fruit with a glass of low sodium V-8

Dinner

This one is tough because I am frequently not all that hungry at night. Last night I had a baked potato and some vegetables. Night before was a small piece of salmon with brown rice and vegatable.

I'm guessing that my total calorie intake is about 800-1000 per day but it feels like I am eating all day long. I'm also doing 40 minutes on the treadmill each morning and going to Curves 3 days a week.

What do you guys think? I don't want to eat when I am not hungry but at the same time I don't want to stall my weight loss because I am not taking in enough calories.
Shayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #2  

I have the same problem! Except I get up at the time most people at lunch, so I obviously eat less then most people anyways. I'm trying to raise my calorie intake just because I know its bad to eat only 800 calories a day. I think the reason you're not hungry is because your stomach has made itself smaller. I think you would find that if you slowly added more food to your diet that your stomach would accept it, as long as its nutritious. I've realized that if you eat less then you're supposed to you're kind of screwing yourself over because your slowing down your metabolism. I'm sure you knew all of that anyways. You say you don't want to eat when your not hungry, but I doubt that you are FULL when you eat all that you say you are. Maybe you think you're full? To me there are two kinds of fulls.. satisfied full, and REALLY full. Maybe if your only satisfied full, you could get yourself to eat a little more, and up your calorie intake a little? Sorry if that made no sense I'll be interested to see what other people say, seeing as I have the same problem.
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #3  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

How about adding a handful of walnuts or almonds to one of your meals. They would add some much needed fats to your diet plus some other nutrients that you may be lacking (Vit. E and/or Omegas), plus a small amount goes a long way so you won't really feel as if you are forcing yourself to eat a bunch when you aren't hungry. Or maybe a little splash of olive oil in your soup if it is tomato based, as the olive oil increases your body's absorbtion of lycopene tremendously. Some whole grains wouldn't hurt either. I think it would be great if you added some additional nutrient dense foods as it would up your calories a bit and fill some of the nutritional gaps in your current diet. Good luck and congratulations on your loss so far!
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

1200 is the minimum, as my doctor told me. I also go by that rule. I don't think one day matters, as your hunger fluctuates each day.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it was going on for days.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Shayz!

Definitely a bit low on the calories. When I entered your foods into FitDay, I got between 800 and 900 calories.

You can definitely eat more than this, even while losing weight--and you should! Your body needs fiber--brown rice is good for that--and also more protein. You should try to have some protein with every meal. Think of tuna, lowfat cheeses, and that handful of nuts jordan suggested.

You might find FitDay or The Daily Plate or some other computer program or website helpful for tracking your calories.

Although eating when not hungry isn't usually the best idea, you probably don't know when you are hungry. (I know that I would be very hungry eating that little.) So, keep to your regular eating times, and just add a little more food to each time. You could have 1 slice of whole grain bread with your eggs, for example. Those nuts with one of the fruit snacks. And more for lunch than soup--add a salad, maybe with some tuna on it. Water-packed tuna is low cal and provides protein.

Enjoy!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I have to agree with everyone, when I saw the title to this post , I was thinking you were talking about 1100 or so, but 800-900 is way too low. I wanted to post here because I have noticed when I get to eating below 1400 calories a day I get really weak and the munchies, so I have worked this up to 1500 calories and feel better, the weight may take some extra time to come off, but I feel better doing it safely.
this is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: go lean cereal, fat free milk , grapefruit juice( 328 calories)
Lunch : smoked trout, romaine lettuce, salad spritzer spray( 160), 11/2 cup of fresh strawberries( I think abuot 120 calories)
Snack : sun chips: 150 calories
Dinner : Cedar lane spinach tamales( 310 calories), Fat free frozen yogurt( 2 servings( 1cup) 220 calories)
Snack: more strawberries and a peach ( about 200 calories)
I felt good eating this, the day before I kept my food down to 1300 calories and ended up snacking late at night 300 calories extra( which wasn't bad,but the idea of eating late at night, and with craving made it not so good).
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Nevermind too little calories, I see too little fiber, protein, vegetables and nutrients. And the calories are a tad on the low side as well.

Breakfast - instead of scrambled eggs - maybe a veggie omlette. Or some high fiber cereal and skim milk.
Lunch - instead of the canned soup, maybe some homemade soup with fresh ingredients and less sodium or a salad with grilled chicken. Or a salad with tuna. Or a turkey breast sandwich.
Dinner - that baked potato could be switched for a sweet potato. Salmon is a great option or chicken breast with either veggies or a salad or the sweet potato
Snacks - cottage cheese with berries, fat free yogurt with Fiber One cereal added in for crunch and nutrients. Peanut butter on whole grain bread. A sliced apple with a few almonds. Cut up vegetables with some hummus.

I wouldn't worry about the "occasional" low cal day. It does happen from time to time. I think you may want to work on upping your nutrients.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #8  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I'm not MUCH help, but with the omlette how about making it with just the egg whites and adding a whole bunch of veggies and you could even add a piece of low fat cheese. Okay, I'm gonna go now because I'm drooling.

lol.

There are some great ideas here...I second that you need more nutrients. Fruits and veggies are a really good way to up your calories.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote