Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Default Question for Meg!

Meg when you first began your weight loss journey how much and what kind of exercise did you do?
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Audrey!

I was a total couch potato before I started to lose weight. I mean, I was convinced that I detested, loathed and despised exercise (and stunk at it, shades of grade school gym class!) I never broke a sweat if I could help it.

All this started when DD and I joined a gym and I -- realizing that I was beyond clueless -- signed up for five weeks of personal training. Best $ I ever spent in my life!

My trainer started me off with 20 minutes of elliptical, three times a week - and I thought I was going to die! But within two weeks, I was up to 40 minutes a time and by the end of the first month I was doing an hour a day, every day. I only missed five or six days of cardio during the year I was losing weight. It was my big calorie burner. BTW, the elliptical is the only kind of cardio I did due to bad knees.

My trainer also started me off with a three day a week weightlifting program. I fell in love with weights right away because -- wonder of wonders! -- I was good at it (fat chicks are strong chicks from carrying around all that extra weight) and I loved challenging myself. I was so excited after my first session that I couldn't sleep that night! I progressed to five weight workouts a week, doing three with my trainer and two more on my own.

Add in the occasional BodyPump or yoga class, and that's what I did for the year it took me to lose the weight. Five years later, I still do pretty much the same thing!

I sure do go on ... aren't you sorry you asked?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Did you do anything dietary wise? I mean besides just cutting out the junk.

Also, did your DD stick with it?

You family must be very proud of you.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #4  
Meg

Hi Mare!

I totally changed what I was eating too - honestly, diet is about 80% of the weight loss equation. You can work your butt off in the gym but if you're eating too much/the wrong stuff, nothing happens.

I started off at 1600 calories when I was 257 pounds and dropped by 100 if I stalled out for more than a week, so I ended up around 1200 calories or so for the last six months.

And it was all super healthy food; no FF ice cream or 100 calorie packs or FF Lays. I had been a WW member for most of my life (swear to God I rejoined 100 times!) and I used to spend all my Points on diet junk food. This time, I focused on lean proteins, fruits, veggies, good fats, and a few starchy "good" carbs, but limited to a serving a day. My ratios were (and are) around 40 - 45% P, 25 - 30% C, and 30% fat. No sugar and as unprocessed as possible. It's the way I still eat today.

As for DD, she's lost 55 pounds and went from a size 18 to a 6, where she still is today. DS lost 70 pounds, so our family total is 247 pounds. DH is naturally skinny, but I still love him anyway.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Hey Meg! You make me sound normal concerning exercise! lol

BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #6  
Meg

You mean -- we aren't normal???
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #7  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

LOL...yeah go figure.

My SIL is very skinny, almost size 2 and yet she can't keep up with me when I exercise. It's not a normal thing for her. Somehow, I think being fat at one point in your life makes you more health conscious. I actually consider the experience of being fat a blessing because otherwise I wouldn't care about what I was eating...

Interesting, huh?
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #8  
Losing it and loving it!!

S/C/G: 181/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Totally agree Shelia!!!!

Those skinny girls may look good but are the "physically fit??"
Being fat and losing weight makes you realize the importance of a healthy diet and exercise.
bee optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Meg you're my hero! I've been trying to get on my elliptical at least 3 times a week and I've only succeeded at getting on it a few times for 10 minute stints. But I did just got a job this week where I will be cleaning vacant apartments and I am so glad because this means I will have to be active.I don't have a choice. That seems to be the only way I can force myself to do moderate activity for any length of time on a consistant basis. I have no problem with weight training I love it! But with the problems I've been having with my thyroid I'm not sure if I'm lazy or tired from the symptoms. I went to my doctor today and he switched me to Armour so we'll see if this helps my symptoms.
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #10  
Meg

Audrey, I'm really glad you get to try the Armour Thyroid like you hoped! Let's cross our fingers that it does the trick and builds your energy level back up to where it should be. The cleaning job sounds great -- you're going to be active AND make money!

I discovered that my energy levels really rose with regular exercise and when the weight started coming off. Think about the extra weight you're carrying as bags of flour in a backpack that you wear all day. Of course you get tired doing everyday activities because you're toting around all that extra weight!

Now imagine taking the backpack off and setting it down. You'll feel so energized when you're lighter that it's like you have little trampolines on your feet.

Woo hoo! Let's hope this is the start of something great!