Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default Overeating after a long walk

Twice this week I have taken a 3mile walk after work (took the long way home). Both times my stomach growled during that walk, and when I came home and had dinner, I wound up eating 1,000 calories.

I am also taking water aerobics in the summer, and my brief internet searches I read that this will also happen ("eating like a horse").

Does anyone have any advice? Usually on my breaks at work, I take a 1/2 mile walk around the bldg and eat a apple. Should I do that on these long walks? Last night I tried to load myself up on fiber (FiberSure), but that had little effect
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #2  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

kinda hard to say really without knowing what you are eatting throughout the day.. you can get *full* on very little calories with veggies * fiberous* and complex carbs ( also fiberous) and protein, I dont really eat much meat myself but I find protein in beans, light cheese, and tuna . Maybe you could find a QUALITY protein bar, or PORTIONED trail mix, something portable to get you through your walk. Just a thought
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #3  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

oh yeah and congrats on all the weight you have lost.. thats AWESOME!
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Again Dude!

Have a snack about 1/2 hour before you take your walk. Make sure you include protein. It could be, for example, a couple sections of lowfat string cheese and an apple, or some lowfat cottage cheese, or an ounce of ham with six crackers.

Then, when you get back and get to dinner, have a plan already in mind for how much you are going to eat. Don't exceed that--if you want to keep eating, have water or a big cup of hot tea or decaf coffee to give yourself a chance to slow down and the food to get into your bloodstream.

Just an idea!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #5  

Ok, it seems you guys are recommending protein. I have a thing of Whey Protein here, and I make protein smoothies (bananas, strawberries, yogurt, milk, FiberSure, Whey Protein) on the days I do my heavy workouts. On these long walks home after work, can I just simply sprinkle a scoop of Whey Protein in some water, and make that journey?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

I don't know. Personally, I find that a little bit of "real food" is most satisfying. Try almonds, string cheese, yogurt, or turkey cold cuts.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Romeos Girly--the whey protein is good as a supplement--I use it, too, in shakes. But I think you'd do better with something that would be absorbed more slowly, like a couple of ounces of meat or cheese and crackers. Drink water, of course!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I totally understand your hunger. I'm training to walk a half marathon, and on my long walks (weekends) which are about 4 hours/10-13 miles, I need to eat before, during and after! It's way too easy and tempting to inhale waaay too many calories. I eat a "meal" with both protein and carbs (cottage cheese and fruit; ww toast with pb; etc) about 1/2 hour before I take off; a bar with a good amount of protein on the walk (with plenty of water) and something with protein and carbs again at the end. If I have something ready for when I finish I do much better than if I walk in the house and start grazing. Because I train with a team, I often end up driving too and from training. In that case I will have a shake since it's something I can leave in my car, though now that it's getting warmer I need to think about using a cooler. The key, like in so much of this journey, is planning.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #9  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

I agree that the food sounds more appealing and satisfying. I really just wanted to pop in and say that your weight loss is amazing!! Congrats on all you've accomplished!
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #10  

After I posted this, I set out for a 6.95mi walk (2 hrs 17 mins). To the very clinic that couldn't weigh me in the 90's. I want to get a copy of all my charts, to see how far along I have come. I took with me on the walk a grain essentials protein bar (6g protein) and a fuji apple, with a 1 liter bottle of water. Needless to say, I'm not starving!. Feet are sore (15,103 steps on my pedometer). Now to make a refreshing smoothie. Unless the scale is deceiving me, I lost another 2lbs, bringing me down to 292...I will get a better idea of the weight loss when I weigh myself in the morn
Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! I'm glad you may have found something that works!
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote