Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #16  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Yup - I recently packed up most of my closet to send to the shelter, and decided to hold on to the ONE pair of "big" jeans that I had - ones that were the only ones that fit and were getting unreasonably snug about 10 pounds ago! I've put them in the bottom drawer of my exercise dresser, with my winter tights and rain gear, so that they're not with the other jeans where I could even consider wearing them again. (And, yeah, the fact that I have a full 4-drawer dresser packed with running gear and cycling gear and tri suits and such is part of WHY I needed to gut my wardrobe!)

It's been so nice since I cleared out my closet - I got rid of not only too-big clothes but also anything that was too small or didn't fit well or was unflattering... if I hadn't worn it or didn't LIKE to wear it, it went out the door! I got rid of all the "I'll wear that again when I lose weight" clothes I'd kept for years, especially when I realized just how out-of-date they'd look when I DO fit into them! I now have a nice compact closet and can get dressed without digging through a pile of sweaters that I'll never wear or pants that are too small or gape at the waist. (I realized I was a cliche when I looked at my packed-to-capacity walk-in closet and thought "I have nothing to wear!")

But, I did hold on to one pair of size-20 "fat jeans" and I may dig out my size-10 prom dress from my parents' house when I reach that point. Nothing else that doesn't fit or flatter will ever be in my wardrobe!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

I gave some of my old clothes to my cousin, who is trying to lose some weight.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #18  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I kept a couple of pairs of pants (that I had to make myself, as I couldn't buy any large enough) and a shirt, just to 'remember'. Lucky I did, because last year the media were very interested in my story and a number of them wanted to get pics of me in/with my old pants. One newspaper even got some of my students (I teach grade 2/3) to stand in my pants, with three students in each pair, and me sitting in front of them. It made for a very cute picture. The kids certainly got a good laugh out of my old pants!

I have the shirt that I am wearing in my 'before' photo somewhere, but do you think we can find it? I am going to have to do a major search one day, because that would be PROOF that it is ME in the photo. So many people tell me that it just doesn't look like me, and even though I know that they are just complimenting me, I would still like to pull out the shirt to show them.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't got rid of many of my clothing yet but as I'm slowly putting things into my donate box I decided to keep an outfit that I wore when I was at my largest so I can take a similar picture. Then I think I am going to print my before and after pictures and put them in a frame on my wall (or maybe fridge) to reminde myself how far I've come.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #20  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Of course! I have a pair of 20-22 wides and a tank top that even only after 30lbs looks like a tent.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I tried one of the skirts on 2 weeks ago and my 15 year old 100 lb daughter stepped in it with me - and we had room to spare - lots of it in fact. Yeah, I'm holding on to it.
Robin, that must've been so fun having your daughter hop into your old skirt! Gee, sounds like all those Dannon lites and veggies are well worth it. I do like yogurt but I only wish I had your passion for veggies ...
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #22  

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't keep my old clothes because a big reason I was comforted in gaining back 90 pounds was because I could just get into my old clothes. I throw out as I go along so I can throw out all the ugly clothes XD

And that way I never get bigger than the biggest pants I have.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
Robin, that must've been so fun having your daughter hop into your old skirt! Gee, sounds like all those Dannon lites and veggies are well worth it. I do like yogurt but I only wish I had your passion for veggies ...
Mami, I am so incredibly darn blessed that I love veggies. Who knew? I really don't think there is any way I could have done this without em'. Just wondering Mami, have you tried roasting veggies? They are really, really good that way. And with lots of fresh garlic. And I hope I don't get slammed for this - but I'm talking fresh ones here - not canned or frozen. IMO, that makes all the difference - for me anyway.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #24  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey rockin'!

I agree that fresh is best--but these days the frozen are soooo much better than they used to be.

(See, no slamming! )

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #25  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Last time I lost all my weight and got to goal I donated all my old clothes. Then I was put on medication that made me gain a lot of that weight back and I had to buy a whole new wardrobe!!! So this time, since I envision a baby in my not-so-distant future, I packed ALL my clothes away in the basement. I'm hoping that I won't need to ever use some of them again, though! I don't want to gain THAT much weight if I ever get pregnant

So I have a bunch of my "big" clothes. I also have my "small" clothes from when I lost the weight before, and there is a certain pair of jeans that has been keeping me going lately. I really want to wear those again!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey rockin'!

I agree that fresh is best--but these days the frozen are soooo much better than they used to be.

(See, no slamming! )

Jay

I also prefer fresh, and my second favorite is frozen. I was raised on canned peas/corn/green beans...and never really cared for them. I found out as an adult, that it was because canned veggies are bland and MUSHY...I like my veggies steamed, either fresh or frozen-because they taste more crisp and flavorful. Even the color is so much prettier-so much more bright and vivid, instead of "bleh".
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

What kind of veggies do you roast Robin? I mean, I used to do white potatoes in the same pan as the baking chicken (thus cooking in all that chicken grease); very crispy. Anyway, surely you didn't have this in mind .
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Mami, roast all veggies! They're soooo yummy that way. We often do a mix with eggplant, zucchini, carrots, peppers, onion, mushrooms and whole cloves of garlic--just toss them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and throw them in the oven. I'm not a giant veggie-lover myself, but a little olive oil and high oven temps can do them a world of good. They get lovely and carmelized.

I'd wager that veggies with a teaspoon of olive oil is much better than no veggies and no oil
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Yes-you don't have to use a lot of oil at all-just a teaspoon or two, and if you are making enough veggies for 4 people, for instance-everyone is getting very little oil. I love roasted greeen peppers and onions myself.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #30  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
What kind of veggies do you roast Robin? I mean, I used to do white potatoes in the same pan as the baking chicken (thus cooking in all that chicken grease); very crispy. Anyway, surely you didn't have this in mind .
I really like most of em. Right now I'm on a big asparagus, brussel sprouts, string beans kick with chopped fresh garlic. I use cooking spray and a teeny, tiny bit of olive oil. Baffled is right, high temps a little cooking spray and olive oil and they carmalize - they really can't be beat. I also make a lot of stir frys using lots of different veggies and some cut up chicken breast. Also a really, really good method for cooking veggies. Experiment, play around and see what you like best. The effort is really worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote