Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #1  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

Default That thing we call food, ya, its controlling my life

I noticed today that ALL I tend to think about is food, whether I am hungry or not. As soon as I'm done eating a meal my first thought is "mmm...what's next" or I crave something sweet like chocolate. It seems as though I am always craving food. I always want it. Yesterday, I had to keep myself busy in my room all day doing homework and studying because I knew as soon as I went downstairs I'd go straight to the refrigerator. I have all healthy foods in my house but I tend to eat too much of it. Like one granola bar leads to another or one banana leads to three. This morning I ate a granola bar on my way to class and by 10:30 my stomach was growling very loudly.
Is there something I can do??? I feel as though its controlling me. I cant focus on studying because I'm thinking about the next time i get to eat.
Has anyone tried those One a Day Weight Smart pills? Or do you know of any other pill maybe?
Anything????

*Desperate*
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry to say pills don't work. One a day weight smart pills are currently under investigation by the FDA (or were they fined already for false claims?)

Do you eat a lot of processed foods, refined carbs and sweets? If so, those can cause you to crave even more of the same. If you incorporate high fiber, nutritious foods into your eating, those can help you stay fuller longer. Fiber, protein and healthy fats can really help stave off cravings.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Well, you still seem to be doing great as far as losing weight is concerned!

I think it might help if you try to look at food differently. If you look at it as a way to nourish your body instead of a delicious and filling and wonderful indulgance, you might be less likely to crave it so much.

There have been studies that show when people eat eggs for breakfast, they tend to eat lunch later because they're full longer. If I have an egg or two on high-fiber toast with a slice of low fat cheese in the morning, it lasts me a long time!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm... Tell us what you eat in the course of a day and maybe we can make some suggestions! It could be you're not getting enough nutrition.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #5  
Newmala

JayEll,
I usually eat a special K granola bar in the morning, or a bowl of special K serial with non fat organic milk. I also eat yogurt w/ganola mixed in also. OR two pieces of wheat toast w/nothing on it. Then for lunch i usually eat a noodle bowl from our food court on campus (delicious) or a roast beef sandwhich and I usually dont eat snacks because I'm at work all day and there just isnt time. Then for dinner i have a breast of chicken and some rice. I sometimes enjoy a 100 calorie snack pudding pack for desert. However, I still to always be hungry.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Well hon, it's no wonder you are hungry! That isn't enough food. Even when trying to lose weight, you need to have more food than that. I didn't add everything up, but it looks like it could be less than 1000 cals on some days, and you shouldn't go below 1200. Considering that you are probably younger than I am, you may need even more than that. Don't worry, you can still lose weight eating more.

I also don't see nearly enough protein or good-quality fats in what you're eating. You don't need much of the fats, but you do need some. I would be fainting by 10 a.m. if I only ate what you eat for breakfast--too many carbs! And you could also eat more vegetables and fruits.

Here are some ideas:

- Make sure you have some protein at every meal. For example, have an egg or even two with breakfast. Have chicken or tuna sometimes at lunch. Vary what you eat for dinner, and add vegetables.

- Plan midmorning AND midafternoon snacks. These can be something easy like a Kashi bar, or like half an apple with an ounce of cheddar cheese or some other good cheese you like--lowfat string cheese can be good. Other fruits, too. There are many 100-cal snack packs these days, if that seems easier. Baby-cut carrots are another good snack food, especially with a little bit of low-fat ranch dressing.

- Use 1% milk instead of nonfat. It adds just a little bit of fats. Go for lowfat instead of no fat.

- Add some vegetables to your dinner. It's really easy to add vegetables these days because they come in microwavable packs and take hardly any time. And they are good! Fresh is better, but you need to plan for your time.

If you go to fitday.com you can use their tracker to list your foods, and it will automatically show you how many calories you are eating.

You don't have to be that hungry to lose weight! Check it out! I average 1300 calories eaten per day, and I burn 1900-2000 cals, so I'm losing a little over a pound a week, and I'm not starving.

Good luck!
Jay

P.S. Take a good multivitamin!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #7  
Newmala

Default thanks!

JayEll,
Thanks so much! This morning I thought I'd do an experiment to see if I lasted till noon with out starving (i work from 7-noon with no access to food). I had a thing of low fat yogurt with fresh fruit and granola added in and a rather large organic apple. I didnt even feel hungry until noon!! But thanks again, I know i need more fruits and veggies and I also need to plan snacks. College life is crazy and I just never seem to find the time. I guess I was worried about consuming too many calories (that weigh in friday gets me nervous all week long). I for some reason have it in my mind that I cant eat over 1,000 calories. Why? I have no idea. And i've been walking six miles a day (it's amazing how much exercise you are FORCED to get when your car breaks down) so i'm sure i'm burning way more than i'm taking in.
More fruits, more veggies, protein at every mean and planned snacks. Got it. Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

And you're welcome! Let us know how the weigh-in goes.

Good luck!
Jay