Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #1  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Still having trouble with upper arm fat!

Hi Everyone!

I'm losing weight and losing inches, but my main trouble zone remains my upper arms! I KNOW that I can't spot reduce, but I am really getting discouraged as my rear is getting flatter and my hips are getting smaller, and even my belly is twelve inches less than when I began, BUT my upper arms are losing at such a S-L-O-W pace!

I am also worried that even when my stubborn upper arms are thinner, that I will have saggy, baggyness there!

I work out every day and do a variety of DVD programs including Turbo Jam and weights as well as step aerobics and yoga. I ordered HipHopAbs and will be starting that today.

I want to be able to look nice in my mother-of-the-groom dress in August. It is a beaded jacket with a tie at the side. A sheath dress is underneath. The upper arms of the dress are tight on me still, and I had hoped that I would soon be trying on my jacket to discover that the arms were looser.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have ALWAYS had "big upper arms." So I feel your pain! - No matter how much weight I've lost & all the exercising I've done & so forth, I have these HUGE upper arms. Partially, I KNOW, from the weight lifting I've done since college (that's 20 years or more!) Anyway, it makes wearing sleeveless tops & so forth Not-so-Fun, and wearing anything with "tight arms" is practically out of the question.

Someone on this board turned me onto an exercise called T-Tapp. Maybe give that a try? The website is t-tapp.com and you can look at the arms sequence of exercises without having to buy anything (under the Try Before You Buy) section. I did the exercise for a few weeks & there was definitely an inch loss....

It's hard... but I believe it's doable. If all else fails, I'm willing to get my upper arms lipo'd!!!!

I'll end this with a big gigantic GOOD LUCK!!!!! ... and I will be your "sister in arms".
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also feel your pain. My arms have gone down a lot slower than the rest of me. You can try to do upper body workouts to try to give some shape to your upper body but you are right you can't spot train. Keep doing what you are doing and it'll come.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Thanks nelie and my "sister-in-arms!" It's nice to have some company with a problem and some hopes for a solution to it, too!

The last time I wore a sleeveless dress was 1976. It was my "going away" dress after my wedding! Since I'm trying to get to the weight I was then, maybe, just maybe it will happen!

Hmmmm! Liposuction IS for stubborn, problem areas that don't respond as the rest of the body does...Hmmmm! Wouldn't that be just like MAGIC?!!! I think if I did that for my arms I would need to squeeze in a tummy tuck and breast lift, too!

Sure does make me wish that I had taken better care of my body by NOT gaining so much weight and carrying it on me for THIRTY YEARS!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You also have to look at things in relation. On a SMALL person, their hips may be 36" around, their waist 26" and their upper arms 11". So, if they lose 5 pounds, the measurement is going to show up more in larger areas like the bust, waist, hips, and thighs-and the arms, calves, etc. will go in smaller increments, because they are smaller body parts in general.

After baby #2, I lost 7 inches in my waist, 4 in my hips, and only 3/4" in my upper arms for instance...so I am expecting a similar result this time around.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I had the same problem. So, I had an armplasty. For me it was the only way to get rid of the excess skin and redonant tissue.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/135/125

Height: 5'5

Basketball, is a fun way to lose upper arm, weight? A few of my friends play it and you know that little flab everyone has, for them, that flab is nonexistant!
jinanne is offline   Reply With Quote